Sponsored by:

Guards red - fade & colour protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 06:00 AM
Roly Baldwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Christer
I guess Guards Red is not clear coated is it?
Plus that German outift only take bank transfer or money order.....errr no thanks.
They have a product for Guards red which is a solid colour as you say. As for making the payment, I guess that's up to the purchaser.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:58 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Roly Baldwin
They have a product for Guards red which is a solid colour as you say. As for making the payment, I guess that's up to the purchaser.
Yes, I realise payment is required, but I prefer to have some sort of protection even if I am spending only USD50-60. I will stick with other products until Zaino get their finger out.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:46 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Plus that German outift only take bank transfer or money order.....errr no thanks.
...and I've just emailed them to see if they do take credit cards, and have received an auto-reply saying that they're on holiday until 3rd Sept and will deal with my enquiry then!

So they're trying hard to sell this stuff then!
Old 08-14-2003, 10:27 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use Zaino products on my Guards Red 993 and I can recommend it also.

Good stuff.
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2003, 11:54 AM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts

robmug, Zaino isn't a huge corporate entity. If you e-mail their H.O. and ask Sal Zaino a question, he actually responds himself. If the German distributor or whomever, is on vacation, e-mail Sal Zaino and ask him how to buy his products.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:40 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Syd - thanks. Sal responded to my email, saying that with Viper-lifestyle (German distributor) on holiday, there's no way I can get any Zaino in the UK...

One peice of good news is that Viper DO take payment via Paypal, but they charge a 5% surcharge.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:01 PM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts

There must be distribution agreements that have to be adhered to. As for the paypal surcharge, it makes the money order option a little more tolerable.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:49 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I have a guards red C4. About 2 years ago, my car was hit in the back from a work truck. When I had the car repaired I was told that the non-clear coat. The back half of my car now has a red with clear coat paint.

To keep the paint even, I use 3M Hand Glaze frequently (every 2 months?) and then follow up with carnuba wax. The brand is The Wax Shop Super Glaze". I'm not sure how widely available it is. Its a terrific wax.

In hindsight, I wish I had paid the extra to have the entire car repainted. The clear coated paint is not fading.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:52 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Correction: When I had the car repaired, I was told that the non-clear coat paint was not available anymore in California. So the back half of my car now has red paint with a clear coat. When the old paint is polished, the color match is perfect.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:51 AM
Millzeee
Advanced

not sure whether you would want to try this on the porsche

but here goes

last year i bought possibly the pinkest mk 2 golf, correction it had actually gone white, and although this was a £400 car to get me through the winter i still wanted it to look a little more respectable,

i tried t cut and got half way through the front wing and gave up as it was far to much like hard work.

i then tried the mer which i use on the porsche easy going but still not returning me lovely red that i was hopeing for

so on recomendation from a friend i got some halfords coloured polish, this stuff is quite amazing with virtually no effort i have a lovely shiny red golf again, at first i thought it might have just left a layer of red but after 3 months its still red and hardly any hazing has returned. it also covers up all the stone chips as well

i am tempted to get some blue to do the porsche
Old 08-15-2003, 06:10 AM
Christer
Race Car

Originally posted by robmug

One peice of good news is that Viper DO take payment via Paypal, but they charge a 5% surcharge.
To me, 5% is cheap insurance. In that case I'll order some as soon as the lazy bast**ds are back from holiday.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:12 AM
Roly Baldwin
Racer

To me, 5% is cheap insurance. In that case I'll order some as soon as the lazy bast**ds are back from holiday.
Now you're talking!
Old 08-15-2003, 06:40 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Christer - please let us know how you get on with it...in the meantime, I'm going to give Meguire's a try (http://www.meguiars.co.uk) - seems to get good reviews...
Old 08-15-2003, 07:00 AM
Christer
Race Car

I'll let you know about Meguiars, I just ordered the Shampoo Conditioner and the lambswool mitt. I think it will come in 'handy'.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:07 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll let you know about Meguiars, I just ordered the Shampoo Conditioner and the lambswool mitt. I think it will come in 'handy'.
Call yourself a man, eh?

I've a starter pack of Swissol (Basically like Zymol), which anyone is welcome to borrow to give it a try. No mitts in it, though...

Cheers

Phil

Quick Reply: Guards red - fade & colour protection