Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single pulley conversion to dual...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 12:00 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts
Default Single pulley conversion to dual...

There have been quite a few threads recently that mentioned the single pulley. I have said I was going to switch back from single to dual...and I finally got to it today. Had to wait for a part that arrived yesterday.

Bottom line. Massive difference. So much better. I hadn't noticed how bad it was when I did it, since I did it at the same time as an engine rebuild...so anything would have been better than what I had been experiencing prior to that build. A year or so later, I was testing my battery and alternator with a multimeter and realized how much less power the alternator was putting out below 3k rpm and put two and two together.

Today, I can say this. Driving around town, the car felt great. And then driving quickly, downshifting etc, the car felt a lot better since it now has normal low rpm throttle response, where prior it had weak spark at low rpm. The car used to be sluggish from a dead start until 3k, and then spring to life. Now it drives as well at 1500 as 4500 rpm. So it's much more drivable and significantly smoother. (There is zero performance difference over 3k rpm).

On a track there wouldn't be a difference since the rpm's would always be higher than 3 for the most part.

So now...unfortunately I will need to add a stubby xzn bit, a 5mm Allen, and a 24mm box end to my tool kit for the car. An extra belt, and something to tie off the belt tension sensor, since I haven't needed one of those in a long time and that will surely break in short order, even though I reinforced the bearing shaft.

But the car is as easy around town now as an Audi...where yesterday it was just unhappy not having it's legs stretched.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:26 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for that .... Timeous

Quick Reply: Single pulley conversion to dual...