Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undertray Part 3, coming to the rear spoiler.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 03:24 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Undertray Part 3, coming to the rear spoiler.....

O.k.,
We go on on the next part of engine cooling.

'If' the 964 engine had cooling problems on the cilinder heads, why does not rise the rear spoiler on slow traffic and on a certain temp.?

Every cooling will be a help on this item, so will be help the flow of cold air coming from the rear spoiler wall on low speed also.

And.. the next is that heat will always go to heaven and not to the bottem, so any exit on the engine bonnet will be welcome.

So... I drive always in stuck traffick with a spoiler in up position, and it helps cooling down the engine.

Think about this one...................

Arjan
964 C2C 1992 Black
Old 08-12-2003, 05:17 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Arjan,
This is a good idea but if you have a 1989 C4 you cannot do this. The interior manual control **** was installed from 1990 onwards and not for cooling purposes either. People/owners were getting booked for speeding because the Police were saying that they had to be travelling at more than 80 kph because the spoiler was up.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 08-12-2003, 06:29 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Again, I suppose this is localised VS oil temps. The spoiler isn't an airtight lid anyway, so I can't see it aiding cooling much. As with the last thread, I'd like to know what proprtion of cooling is done by the oil system and how much by the fan & shroud system.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:33 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arjan,

Exactly my sentiments. I have an 89 which I have disabled the speed activated spoiler and made it fully manual. However unlike the stock switch of the later cars, I made mine one touch so I dont have to guess if its fully deployed or retracted or leave it on for too long and cook the spoiler motor.

My car doesnt have a sun roof so I installed an original sun roof switch as the deployment switch for the spoiler. Engine definitely runs cooler, at least as indicated by oil temp.

By the way, heat travels in all directions not just upwards (that would be convection). If you place your hand under on the tarmac under your engine after a run, you will feel the radiant heat.....same way heat comes down from heaven via the sun.

Quick Reply: Undertray Part 3, coming to the rear spoiler.....