Sponsored by:

heat shield on rear bumper sides

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 07:22 AM
davidwilson11
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat shield on rear bumper sides

Whats the thoughts on the heat shields, ive taken the rear bumper off the car to put on the RS style section. The side heat shields are in a bad way, lots of grime and busted rivets. Are they really needed in there? does it get hot enough to blister paint or worse bend the plastic bumper.

The section that covers the rear of the car is fine just the side bits that look bad.

Anyone else removed them or should I just replace them. Seems a load of cash to replace them if I can just eliminate them.

Cheers
David
Old 07-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I have removed them - but then I have headers that are routed a little different than the stock exhaust system so I don't have as much side heat .
Would think that it would be Ok - if you don't camp out with the engine running at a stationary spot very often.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:07 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by davidwilson11
Whats the thoughts on the heat shields...Are they really needed in there? does it get hot enough to blister paint or worse bend the plastic bumper.
Yes

just the side bits that look bad...

Anyone else removed them or should I just replace them.
They sell for less than $100 in the USA but you can clean them with a metal polish, it takes but a few minutes.

Seems a load of cash to replace them if I can just eliminate them.
Removing parts from a 964 is usually a losing proposition. Chances are you will dramatically shorten the life of some other part that costs twice as much to replace.

Quick Reply: heat shield on rear bumper sides