Sponsored by:

clear front lights glass

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:54 PM
davidwilson11
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear front lights glass

Okay so thought I would start the thread, I don't have many pictures yet but ill post them once I have everything laid out in front of me.

I bought some clear lenses from a V-Dub place online, pulled the light clusters out the 964 and got started. Usual german affair and very easy to strip and work on.

on to the glass....................

Unusually I thought this will be easy and lets just get cracking on it. Turns out not so easy to do............well it is just takes patience to do it.

The new lenses don't really fit in the silver housing, there is a section of mental that is spot welded in, it follows the contours of the standard glass (along the top edge) but on the v-dub version the glass is flatter. I had to take my time to remove the spot welds form the inside of the silver cluster then the section fell out, roughly nine spot welds on each headlight. be careful if you are doing it, its possible to make one heck of a mess of the inside edges.

Once removed the headlight glass just fits in perfectly. With the new glass in I started to look at what I could to do improve the visual aspect of whats now seen from outside. I decided that the best policy was to either have it powdercoated or indeed sprayed internally. I've gone for the sprayed look with high temp paint in a silver matt finish. That's getting done as I write this post. Once I see what its like I will decide on the powdercoat route but just not sure how hot it gets in there when the lights are running for a long time. Suppose it would be fine but best to play on the side of caution.

Upon looking at everything in its dirty state off to design911 for some new parts. mostly the front screws and some new seals. The headlight rims are away being cleaned up and painted (along with the new RS rear bumper from cultwerks).

In the meantime ive got my pedal cluster to refit after a full rebuild and also a new stainless steel slave cylinder for the clutch. a few jobs to keep me ticking over.

updates to come once I get the painted bits and bobs back.

As I say I will post pictures but not until I have it all laid out in front of me.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:39 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Are you doing this on H4s or H5s?
Old 07-03-2014, 05:59 PM
davidwilson11
Racer

Good question, what's the difference?

Quick Reply: clear front lights glass