Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner - couple of dumb questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 04:01 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue with the oil level gauge on my car when I first bought it.

I asked a friend who'd had his 964 for a few years and he told that it will only give you a proper reading when you are driving the car and that you shouldn't leave the car ticking over for long periods of time.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:16 PM
efria
Intermediate

Thanks for all the advice and feedback. I did a partial drain on the oil and backfilled to the right level (slowly filled while running/hot until the level showed midpoint on the gauge).

I also fixed the "smiley face" this morning so the lower valence/grill looks correct.

The next repair is replacing the two A/C hose clips that are broken (had to zip tie the hoses down to keep them from rubbing against the trunk lid). After that, it will be replacing the "rear wall" on the spoiler. The current part is split in two (long way).

The car is actually in great shape; just a handful of small items that need addressed.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:30 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 429 Likes on 278 Posts

You could, btw, take the spoiler wall out and get to it whenever. Makes zero difference to have one or not. I imagine there is a difference on a track, but when mine split, I took it out. I'll get to it eventually, but the car doesn't run hotter without and aerodynamically, really makes no difference off a track...so it's not pressing. Anyway, the point is, it looks better to have no spoiler wall rather than a broken spoiler wall...
Old 06-30-2014, 09:51 PM
914+964
8th Gear

Originally Posted by StopLookGo
Haha when I first got mine I was all 'wtf random switches all over the place?!'.

Me too! The first thing that came to my mind was, "we're going to take a bare bones sports car and dress it up a bit" ... no forethought to logically organising the layout of the buttons. Love the 964 but, it makes me appreciate the simplicity of my 914.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

[QUOTE=Goughary;11473509].......Makes zero difference to have one or not. .......the car doesn't run hotter without it......QUOTE]

You may not have noticed a difference in oil temp, but it does effect cooling and supplies more air to the air intake
Old 07-01-2014, 02:22 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

REMENBER: Dip stick oil reading is always done with engine RUNNING !!!!!
Old 07-01-2014, 02:40 PM
efria
Intermediate

There are certainly some oddities with the car, but then again, all cars have some quirkiness.

Getting past the nuances, this car is awesome. I'm trying to convince myself not to sell my Evora and get another Porsche...
Old 07-01-2014, 07:10 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Indeed do not warm the car by idling. It is specifically said in the user manual that the car should be driven straight away and not left to idle. It's also not great for cams to idle for any long period of time.

These cars do not enjoy standing still/ traffic and will very quickly get too hot.

Ignore the gauge entirely. After a nice long drive and with the engine properly warm park it on flat ground and check the dipstick while the engine is running.

Do not mix oils, pick one applicable to your application and make sure it's fully synthetic.

Anyway here a quirk, you'll notice that when the sunroof is open there is a little tab that flips up. This is designed to stop wind buffeting at under 50 MPH. Above 50 you can reach up an fold it down to stop high speed buffeting...

Quick Reply: New owner - couple of dumb questions