Seat rail jammed; can't remove seat

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 11:11 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Seat rail jammed; can't remove seat

Hi,

Very odd situation. Since I got my car from the shop after a break-in and attempted theft, I haven't been able to move my powered drivers seat all the way forward. It operates in a range that is fine for driving just not close enough to access the socket bolts at the rails which is necessary to remove the thing.

I'm trying to install my Recaro SPGs. I have no clue how to access those bolts now. I can't see anything preventing it from moving.

Any tips?
Old 06-20-2014, 02:17 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

To reach the rear bolts, first you must undo and *remove* the front ones. Only then can you reach the rear ones, and it is a tight reach even then.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:34 AM
tacomaworld
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I correct in understanding that the power seats work, but there's some kind of binding up of the rail that limits travel to only the mid-range?

Odd, indeed...

Starting with my assumption above: I might suggest that you get someone to operate the motor switch (engaging it so the seat travels back) and at the same time, take a large flat-faced punch and hammer. Alternate tapping each side on the front face of the seat rail to "assist" in the travel rearward. Get it to go JUST far enough to clear the two hex-headed bolts. Then, either repeat the process to get it to go forward (obviously it'll be a tighter squeeze and harder to access) - or, get a short-in-stature friend to climb in the back seat and push the seat base... there are three bolts in the rear total (at least on the last two '91 964s I've owned) and my hope is that by having the front bolts removed and only one side having one bolt at the rear-most, it'll "release" the tension that is binding up. Meaning, the person pushing the seat forward won't find too hard a resistance...

If I'm incorrect in my assumption - that the motors don't work - take a look at your other seat and notice that there are contacts accessible at the front of the seat for the motors. You can take an extra car battery and run leads to those contacts on the drivers side 's force the activation of the motor for the seat base.

Frustrating, I know, having purchased a set of NOS/take-out RSA seats last year for premium money, only to have UPS damage the box so badly that the seat base on the driver's side was twisted. Talk about a PITA... I had to build a jig to torque the whole seat into something resembling "straight."
Old 06-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you raise them enough to get an allen head key in there?
Old 06-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeK
To reach the rear bolts, first you must undo and *remove* the front ones. Only then can you reach the rear ones, and it is a tight reach even then.
I don't remember ever having to do that - maybe I just got lucky and always did the fronts first?
Old 06-21-2014, 03:15 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamus964
I don't remember ever having to do that - maybe I just got lucky and always did the fronts first?
I could be confused by the cabrio I am working on nowadays, '84 3.2. I do seem to remember that it was the same on the C4.

Simple test for anyone here: slide the seat full forward and see if the rear bolts are visible/reachable.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:32 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It's all good now. The shop that repaired my car fixed it quickly. I thought I was losing my mind. Indeed, all the way forward exposes the bolts with ample room.

Now time to remove the bolts made with cheese.

Quick Reply: Seat rail jammed; can't remove seat