Sponsored by:

MPL slave cylinder installed today

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:29 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MPL slave cylinder installed today

I've been fighting with a heavy clutch pedal since I bought my car. This winter when I had my engine and trans out for an RS clutch and reseal, I thought I figured out why it was so stiff. The clutch disc was down to the rivets and the bearings on the shaft for the fork were gone, everything was covered in a thick pasty grease. I can't believe the ears hadn't broken off the trans.
I had a recent receipt from the previous owner for a new clutch slave and hose so I left them but replaced everything else including the clutch fork. When I finally got everything back together, I was disappointed that the pedal was still almost as stiff. I checked the bushings on the pedal and replaced the master even though it was stamped 993, so i know it has been done at some point. I also bled the system several times and nothing seemed to work.
Last week Metal Guru put an MPL slave up for sale and I figured I 'd give it a shot. I installed it today when I got home from work and it definitely made a difference. The pedal is less stiff and there's no more creaking from the clutch fork. I only drove it around the block because it was about to thunderstorm but gear engagement seems fine. I'll be driving 130 miles to Lime Rock tomorrow so that will be the real test. Thanks Metal Guru for making me love my car even more.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:58 AM
lateforlunch
Instructor

News to me, looks like a nice piece. Thumbsup
Old 06-14-2014, 09:59 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Glad it worked out. Keep us posted on how you like it after you have it for a while.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:06 PM
ziu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It´s a good investment, I´ve done it last year and I must say I´m still very happy after 8k km.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:42 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you find you require more pedal travel? I understand biting point should be in the center third (2 inches) of the travel on the stock setup. Do you find the biting point to be lower?

I ask because I'm considering the same slave cylinder. I can't rotate my ankle so I only get about 5 to 5.5" of the 6" travel. I wouldn't want to ride the clutch if I go to this.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:09 PM
ziu
Advanced

Travel´s still the same. The effect of 30% less force results from a straighter angle to the fork than the OEM part has.
sorry, could´nt find an english page http://www.mpl-tuningparts.de/shopd/...0__weniger.php
Old 06-15-2014, 11:08 PM
lateforlunch
Instructor

are these available in the states?
Old 06-16-2014, 09:44 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by lateforlunch
are these available in the states?
You can buy them off of Ebay but they are not cheap.
Joe, I'm happy to hear that it worked out for you.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Merle
Racer

I just installed the same slave cylinder today along with a new hose. The clutch pedal feels great but as far as a difference I can't really tell. But there again I haven't driven my car since July of last year so maybe I just forgot how it felt. The design of this slave cylinder is nice though and there are 3 seals on the piston whereas the stock one only has 1. Plus it looks really cool. Too bad it's hidden once installed.

Quick Reply: MPL slave cylinder installed today