Sponsored by:

R12 to 134a a/c conversion ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 09:15 AM
dondeziner
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Randall,

I was wondering if you had a copy of the a/c requirements to change over to 134a? I believe I was taken to the cleaners with my independent shop when I had mine done. I paid $330 and that didn't include the dryer!
They also put stop leak in and my whole system is screwed up and the clutch and compressor are shot now.
The guy told me to take it to a different shop to get it fixed and he hangs up the phone on me!
I am disputing the charge with VISA and the shop owner. I need as much info as possible to build my case. I have been told by some others that he should have also changed the dryer and should not have used stop leak. Do you know anything about this?

Thanks for any help.

Don 90 C2
Old 08-12-2003, 01:06 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Don,

Porsche's refit instructions can be found here:

R-134a Refit

Notice under the parts that only a receiver/drier, 2 O-rings, and 2 valves are required, other than R-134a and oil.

I don't know if you'll get far with the labor charge on your botched R-134a conversion. Just like major services, etc., shops are all over the map on what they charge for the conversion. The dealer probably charges even more than $330--I've forgotten exactly what they quoted me. Unfortunately, this may be a case of not knowing in advance that you were paying too much.

Don't know a lot about stop leak, other than I wouldn't put it any car I own. Especially the A/C system, where it could (potentially) coat the evaporator (screw up the heat transfer), plug the receiver/drier and expansion valve, affect system performance, and do who knows what to the compressor. In general, I think stop leak is just a gimmick, or for people driving $200 cars that are willing to put anything in their car to keep it running and avoid a repair over $5. Just my opinion. I'm not a mechanic or an expert on stop leak.

I'm afraid you may just wind up writing off your A/C shop misadventure as a somewhat expensive, regrettable experience. It happens to (most? ) all of us at one time or another. Then again, maybe you'll have a case, if the stop leak can be shown to be gross negligence?
Old 08-12-2003, 03:01 AM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randall

I had my system pressure checked yesterday. Cost me $24.88, on a special. The A/C shop told me to go away; they wern't going to hunt for the leak in this system. It came out about as fast as it went in. Is this going to be a $3400 job, I ask myself? I don't hardly think so.

I went down to my local Kragen shop and bought a R 134a conversion kit for $15.00. I just needed the hose and the fittings. Cheap. I going to install the fittings and bring the system up to spec pressure, using compressed air and my pressure gauges. There is no R 12 left in the system. I think I can find the major leak since it's coming out so fast. I'll go from there. I need to find the leak. I'll let you know what's happening.

Man, if it isn't one thing.....

Quick Reply: R12 to 134a a/c conversion ?