Sponsored by:

Clutch wear question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:19 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Clutch wear question

Last edited by GeorgeK; 12-11-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:07 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Last edited by GeorgeK; 12-11-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:49 AM
jack.pe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My clutch had a high bite point as well and this was pointed out in the PPI as a sign it was on it's way out. It lasted another 2000 miles and then started to slip and had to be replaced.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:45 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

High grab point in a non cable activated clutch is indicative of a worn clutch.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:15 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I feared that much. Oh well...
Old 11-13-2014, 01:02 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

A follow-up to that subject:
I pulled Shrek out of summer storage , and the clutch "bite point" was so high, I was worrying the car would leave me stranded.

Today, I bled the clutch, and both PDA cylinders. The fluid that came out, particulary from the clutch slave cyclinder, bore no resemblance do anything DOT approved... More like China ink.

Anyway, the good news is the clutch bite point is much lower on the pedal travel now. I am still not very confident that there is much life left in it, but it is so much better now, I can breathe normally again.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:26 AM
davidwilson11
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the opposite problem that the clutch is almost on the floor. Its driving me mad, I'm assuming the clutch is done and need replaced so I'll be ordering a LW kit and new clutch arm shortly.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:14 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

David...do a quick check of your Rollpin for the clutch arm in the pedal box. If your pedal is on the floor like you say, the most likely culprit is either the Rollpin or the hole in the clutch arm that the Rollpin goes through. That hole sometimes elongates itself...and if the Rollpin starts to crush, the top of the pedal will have to go another couple of inches to engage...it's all too common. I replaced my original one four years ago, and have replaced two others since then...all three were bought directly from porsche. The quality of the steel is clearly not very good. I'm about ready to go with the bolt method of fixing...
Old 11-16-2014, 12:36 PM
davidwilson11
Racer

Originally Posted by Goughary
David...do a quick check of your Rollpin for the clutch arm in the pedal box. If your pedal is on the floor like you say, the most likely culprit is either the Rollpin or the hole in the clutch arm that the Rollpin goes through. That hole sometimes elongates itself...and if the Rollpin starts to crush, the top of the pedal will have to go another couple of inches to engage...it's all too common. I replaced my original one four years ago, and have replaced two others since then...all three were bought directly from porsche. The quality of the steel is clearly not very good. I'm about ready to go with the bolt method of fixing...
Hey mate. Thanks for the reply, I rebuilt the pedal assembly as I thought that was the case. New bushes and roll pin. No difference. It seems to be worse when the car is warm after a few miles. Its getting harder to get in to first gear. Progressively its just getting worse. I even replaced the slave cylinder which helped but I fear the clutch is just gone now.

The pedal is still firm, intact its really firm so I'm thinking its not the hydraulics.

What do you think?
Old 11-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

No idea. I went through all this when I got my car. Is it a c2 or a c4? If it's a c4, and you don't know when the last time the entire system was completely flushed, that will need to be done. When you replaced the slave, did you also replace the hose?

I did all this, got it working well, and then replaced my perfectly good Clutch anyway when I had my motor out for a top end rebuild. I have all the pieces here in a box...
Old 11-16-2014, 06:11 PM
davidwilson11
Racer

Originally Posted by Goughary
No idea. I went through all this when I got my car. Is it a c2 or a c4? If it's a c4, and you don't know when the last time the entire system was completely flushed, that will need to be done. When you replaced the slave, did you also replace the hose?

I did all this, got it working well, and then replaced my perfectly good Clutch anyway when I had my motor out for a top end rebuild. I have all the pieces here in a box...
Yeah replaced the hose too. It was flushed I'm told when the hose and slave were done. They were done early this year. I'll get the clutch done as I'm looking to go rs anyways. If there is a problem chances are it will show up then.

Quick Reply: Clutch wear question