My mini-restoration project - 1991 Porsche 964 Cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 12:39 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

stunning !

Originally Posted by dhc905
Just got my car back. Have to give a firm shout out to Josh Bare (North Bay Parts) for doing a great job at supremely reasonable rates. After sampling the bigger shops in the East bay (Bauer Porsche, Germany's Best), he's heads ahead in terms of quality of work, honesty, and price.

Some gratuity shots of the "show" parts.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:30 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks! A couple more just because I finished re-installing the whale tail.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:28 AM
dhc905
Banned

Old 09-26-2016, 01:39 AM
dhc905
Banned

Old 10-05-2016, 03:44 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

slowly but surely getting there. Looking awesome. When will she be lowered?
Old 03-12-2017, 12:52 AM
dhc905
Banned

As some of you may have read in other threads (namely the silly questions thread) I've been dealing with a nagging flashing CEL issue. Done just about every easy fix, from replacing the DME to replacing the O2 sensor (thanks to RicardoD!).

Anyway, besides wanting to show off the new band on the Portuguese - I also wanted to see if anyone could lend some ideas based on a new observation - I timed the intervals (using the chronograph above) and they were pretty consistent at around 25 seconds between the intermittent flashes of the CEL.

As a result, anyone know of anything that cycles in our cars on roughly that rhythm? And if so, can that lead me to the source of my issues?
Old 03-12-2017, 01:05 AM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=dhc905;1402481

As some of you may have read in other threads (namely the silly questions thread) I've been dealing with a nagging flashing CEL issue. Done just about every easy fix, from replacing the DME to replacing the O2 sensor (thanks to RicardoD!).

Anyway, besides wanting to show off the new band on the Portuguese - I also wanted to see if anyone could lend some ideas based on a new observation - I timed the intervals (using the chronograph above) and they were pretty consistent at around 25 seconds between the intermittent flashes of the CEL.

As a result, anyone know of anything that cycles in our cars on roughly that rhythm? And if so, can that lead me to the source of my issues?[/QUOTE]

If the car is running OK, I would just get your mechanic to pop out the CEL bulb in the gauge and call it done.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:58 PM
onevoice
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhc905
I timed the intervals (using the chronograph above) and they were pretty consistent at around 25 seconds between the intermittent flashes of the CEL.

As a result, anyone know of anything that cycles in our cars on roughly that rhythm? And if so, can that lead me to the source of my issues?
Never heard of anything like that. It is easy to look at a wiring diagram and figure some things out, but I wouldn't even know where to start to determine how error checks are timed. Maybe a tuner like Steve Wong would know enough of the inner workings to give you clue.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:29 AM
dhc905
Banned

Yeah, it's just so frustrating as the car drives as well as it ever has, but every 30 seconds when idling it does the car equivalent of fingernails on the chalkboard.

JJ - the engineer in me would die the day I took the bulb out

I might just tryout a new mechanic and see what he thinks - stumped my previous one, and then I moved, so need to find a new one.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:47 AM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Have you tried durametric?

Have you looked at your codes? Or you can use Tore's device (if I didn't already own the Durametric I would buy Tores' diagnostic equipment)
Old 03-14-2017, 11:25 AM
onevoice
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try Loren at
http://systemsc.com/index.html

He posts here as Lorenfb. Seems to have very extensive knowledge of the electronics of these cars.

Also Tore at
https://www.bergvillfx.com
Posts here as ToreB
He is also very knowledgeable about the electronics. Very helpful guy.

I bet one of the two will know what is going on. Otherwise, I haven't ever seen a source of logic/documentation of exactly what the systems are checking for and how often the checks are done.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:00 PM
dhc905
Banned

Originally Posted by turbotwoshoes
Have you looked at your codes? Or you can use Tore's device (if I didn't already own the Durametric I would buy Tores' diagnostic equipment)
Turbo2 - yup, I've actually never thrown a code (except for a couple HVAC ones) in the 6 months or so that this has been happening. I bought Tore's diagnostic and it also has never shown any codes. RicardoD also scanned my car with his tool (it was a self-contained tool, not a hammer) after we swapped the O2 sensor, and no codes.

Originally Posted by onevoice
You might try Loren at
http://systemsc.com/index.html

He posts here as Lorenfb. Seems to have very extensive knowledge of the electronics of these cars.

Also Tore at
https://www.bergvillfx.com
Posts here as ToreB
He is also very knowledgeable about the electronics. Very helpful guy.

I bet one of the two will know what is going on. Otherwise, I haven't ever seen a source of logic/documentation of exactly what the systems are checking for and how often the checks are done.
Thanks - I'll ping them and see if they have any thoughts. I've interacted with Tore after buying his scantool so maybe I'll send him a note first.

I've also reached out to Marvin at Rennshop here in Mt. View to see if he can take a look at my car. Haven't heard back yet.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:18 AM
Fihsak
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly this is such an awesome thread. I too, am in a similar situation, where I am about to pull the trigger on a 1990 c2 cabrio that needs this kind of restoration. 2 year after you started your journey but a similar price for a car that needs TLC. This thread has given me so much hope
Old 05-25-2017, 04:33 PM
dhc905
Banned

Finally got the top fitted to my satisfaction and took the car out for a drive. Significantly less squeaking, but still have wind noise eminating from the window sills at around 100 mph. May have to increase the amount of gasket material I'm using there, but finally on the home stretch of having this project complete.

Next item on the docket is to revive the AC system with r134a. I've acquired a new compressor, drier, condensor, and necessary rubber o-rings and the like. Old compressor was pulled out; it was non-functional when the car was bought.

I also made a movie of the drive last night, when I get a chance to upload I will!
Old 06-07-2017, 06:20 PM
dhc905
Banned

So I'm more or less confirmed for a 4-500 mile road trip with my wife over the 4th week driving up the CA coast. This will be the first "distance" trip taken with the 964, so I'm pretty excited for it (and will document accordingly).

AC progress is still on hold until I can find someone to evacuate the existing system. I've fitted the new condenser and fan together through some forceful "adjustments" to the cage. Given that everything is pulled out and the system has been exposed to the air for a couple years, is it necessary to fully evacuate the system now?

I'm hoping to have the AC wrapped up before we go on the trip, though if we stick to the coast, it probably won't be necessary.

On the top front, I added more gasket material to the window areas to block out some of the high speed wind noise and tightened all the attachment points. I'm hoping this will make it both less noisy on rough roads and more wind/water tight. Will test next trip out!

Quick Reply: My mini-restoration project - 1991 Porsche 964 Cabrio