Sponsored by:

Starter Hanging issues resolved

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 11:40 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Starter Hanging issues resolved

Ok - I have read a few post on replacing the starter because of hanging issue or engagement issues. Failure of the bendix to hold the starter gear on the flywheel ring gear and having it kit back - resulting in numerous failed attempts to start the car. Well that is the same issue that I ran into. Starter would engage some times and others times it would start to engage and then kit out. I would have to try 5 or more times to get it to work properly.
Read were most folks just bought a new starter, so down the road I went. But before I pulled the trigger on a new starter I decided to see if I could figure out what the issue was. I removed the starter and took it apart. ( see earlier post on easy way to remove top allen bolt, not to everyones flavor but worked for me)
One of the first things I noticed was that the starter had a lot of 20 year old grease build up on it. The grease was dried and hard caked. So I took the gear works apart and found the same to be true, old grease, dirt and a lot of drag on the gears and spline that should not have been there.
There are three main areas that you need to pay close attention to and clean well. Then re-lube with a graphite base grease and reassemble.
1. The bendix and shaft
2. The triple planetary gears and gear ring
3. The solenoid throw out fork

The first picture is of the bendix shaft, ring gear and triple gears.
The second pic is a view of the throw out fork that needs to be cleaned so it moves easily.
The third pic is of the bendix that rides on the shaft seen in pic one. This spins and is thrown into the flywheel ring gear by the solenoid and the fork seen in picture 2.
Picture 4 is of the main drive gear that engages the triple planetary gears and drives the bendix gear. Clean this area well and re-grease.
The 5th picture is of the three planetary gears. There was a lot of old grease here and inside the ring gear housing. Clean and replace the grease.
the 6th picture is of the planetary gears and ring gear assembled but without grease.
Seven is just a better picture of the throw fork. Works just like the clutch does, the brass looking ring is like the throwout bearing.
The last picture is my quick solution to the top allen bolt on the starter. In or out in about 15 seconds. Not for all, but if you have removed the padding and carpet and replaced with only carpet it is an easy solution.
On the shaft of the planetary gear housing there is a "C" clip that needs to be removed to get the bendix off. Remove this carefully as it is pretty tight and you do not want to stretch it out of shape. Getting it back on can be fun, but a proper sized socket will push it down on the shaft.
Since I cleaned and re-grease the starter my car has started every time with no further issues of failing to engage. So before you spring for a new starter think about just doing a little cleaning.
Attached Images      
Old 05-20-2014, 11:43 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Oops!!!! looks like a few pictures didn't post. Here are the last 3.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:44 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

One more time
Attached Images    
Old 05-20-2014, 04:52 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Very nice Gus! You have proven you have both skill and patience!
That's cheating... nice starter bolt access hole.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:42 AM
bolt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a great overview! I suspected that was all my starter needed, but with the huge PITA it was to get that top bolt out, I didn't want to experiment. I'll try cleaning up the old one I took out and see if I can resurect it for the next guy.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:04 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Nice work! Thanks for the write-up.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:26 AM
pi5tolpete
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DIY candidate?

Quick Reply: Starter Hanging issues resolved