Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

Thanks bill, I'll look into that at some point for sure...

Yeah vandit I remember when the stack seals on yours were gone. When I did my top end build a few years ago, new seals were put in. Also new o2 sensor, and new everything else...except plug wires, hall sensor and knock sensors. I even had the entire engine wiring harness gone through and fixed all the issues there as well..

So far so good. I still have my hall sensor code, and the new wires should resolve that hopefully. But after getting the afm wires away from the hoses behind them, and cleaning the afm and checking grounds yesterday. It's only happened once...so maybe I found it?
Old 05-21-2014, 09:14 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a similar issue; not quite the same. Cut outs for less than a second under acceleration. Particularly after spirited driving. Turned out to be a bad O2 sensor connection. Reseated and all's be right ever since.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:41 AM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Other grounds?

I had a very similar problem when I bought my car eight years ago. I ofund that most of the component/chassis ground points had a small amount of white oxidation. My car had been sitting for two years before I bought it. Behind your coils is are two (?) brown wires that go to ground. I can't remembr, but there are several both in the rear and in the frunk that I cleaned and reconnected during a 1/2 day "grounding" marathon. It stopped the intermittent stalling/dying issue. Best of luck, I feel your frustration.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:25 PM
Goughary
Race Car

I thought maybe I had gotten in, but then this am it was wet out and it stalled repeatedly for a half hour. Then this afternoon it was sunny and dry and didn't do it once.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:24 AM
Goughary
Race Car

I began to do plug wires today and found that a bunch of my connectors are shot. I am trying to reuse my connectors to save a bit. Does anyone have an old set of wires I could cannibalise?

I haven't gotten all the wires out and apart yet, so I don't know exactly how many connectors are toast. But some of these are pretty bad. One wire, cylinder 5 lower wasn't even screwed in properly And has been eating the inside of the boot and corroding itself.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:11 PM
Goughary
Race Car

I was able to cobble it back together with some non-964 plug ends...temporarily.

I need to find four ends for the plug sides and two ends for the distributer cap side...but for now it should run....

I'm switching from cup to g pipe and the g pipe goes in tomorow, then the whole thing comes down off the jack stands and fingers crossed that I got the firing orders all correct!
Old 05-26-2014, 04:40 PM
Feudal Serf
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Goughary,
sounds like you found the culprit.
cheers
fs
Old 05-26-2014, 07:25 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Yeah thanks all that chimed in. Ran the car all day today with no hall sensor code, no gurgles, coughs, sputters or stalls. And, I have a ton more power on the lower end of the curve and better throttle response.

Honestly, had it occurred to me to check the wires with a multimeter in the past, I would have seen that a few were dead. But all good. Onto the next...gas smell in frunk? Or leaky steering rack? Or bushings? Or....
Old 05-26-2014, 11:33 PM
carlosd
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having exactly the same issue. I has only happened to me a few times and only happens if I let the idle drop to where it would regularly idle. I can always smell the difference in the smell of the exhaust when it happens. It will usually clear up if I take it on the highway and drive it for a while at higher speed where the idle never gets a chance to go down to just idle. It has brand newer wires, plugs and router. any ideas would be appreciated. Check engine light comes on when it happens. I can drive for days and not have it happen. when it does happen I have to keep my foot on the gas when coming to a stop so the car idle doesnt drop too far.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:37 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goughary
Yeah thanks all that chimed in. Ran the car all day today with no hall sensor code, no gurgles, coughs, sputters or stalls. And, I have a ton more power on the lower end of the curve and better throttle response.

Honestly, had it occurred to me to check the wires with a multimeter in the past, I would have seen that a few were dead. But all good. Onto the next...gas smell in frunk? Or leaky steering rack? Or bushings? Or....
Gas smell in the frunk turned out to be the fuel filler neck for me.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989...placement.html
Old 05-26-2014, 11:41 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Thanks jpar

I'm pretty sure that's my issue. My build date is August 1990, though the car was sold as a 91...so I'm pretty sure that unless someone upgraded along the way, that I have the earlier fill neck. If I don't fill the car over 3/4 tank it's not too bad until I make a hard right hand turn....after that all bets are off...no smoking anywhere near the car...lol...
Old 05-30-2014, 09:19 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a fyi, I had a similar issue and it was the batt cable/harmess that goes from out of engine tray. It was chaffed and rubbing the chassis. Did not notice until motor was out of the car.

Quick Reply: Engine cutting out