Sponsored by:

964/993 Cell phone holders

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 07:09 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Goldman
Hey john I would love to buy an ash tray mount from you. What the best way to do that?I’m new so I don’t have PM privileges yet. Need an admin to unlock it.
thanks for the intrest, I do not make them anymore it just was not worth my time for what I was charging.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:22 PM
lbpa18
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

FYI, I installed the Rennline clock mount (magnetic). I have been using it for a while now and rate it 10/10 in quality, ease of install and removal, and function. Cant think of a thing I'd change. Of the many Ive used, in other cars as well, this is leagues above any of them. Not cheap ($75), but worth it.
The following users liked this post:
Hatzenbach (09-02-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 03:06 AM
Danny Goldman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John I bought a 3D printer learned CAD and have Cura. This was for a separate project I worked on but Can you send me the STL files? maybe I can help out some fellow Porsche guys. I like the side mount and ashtray mount in particular personally

Last edited by Danny Goldman; 08-29-2020 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:34 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 503 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by lbpa18
FYI, I installed the Rennline clock mount (magnetic). I have been using it for a while now and rate it 10/10 in quality, ease of install and removal, and function. Cant think of a thing I'd change. Of the many Ive used, in other cars as well, this is leagues above any of them. Not cheap ($75), but worth it.
couldn’t agree more. It even makes me wonder if I need to buy the new PCCM, as my iPhone is now closer to me than the radio
Old 09-24-2020, 12:56 PM
lbpa18
Rennlist Member

"makes me wonder if I need to buy the new PCCM, as my iPhone is now closer to me than the radio"

My conclusion as well. I was going to get the PCCM but glad I didnt. I will go with the Clarion so it looks period correct and functions well, but this simple phone holder is a game changer for me.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:01 PM
MaKSiNG
Advanced

Q on the Rennline mount; Am I right in thinking you need to stick a magnet to the back of your phone though?
Old 09-24-2020, 02:04 PM
lbpa18
Rennlist Member

Part of the kit is a couple metal plates (for more than one phone) that adheres to the back of your phone. Except for the slim edge of it you wont notice its on there.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:29 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Is there some magic to pulling the clock out? I tried everything including pulling the speedo to push from the back and the damn thing is in there really good. Definitely don't want to break it in search of a phone mount, but wondering if there's something I'm missing if just pulling/pushing from the back isn't the right solution.
The following users liked this post:
Thomoondancer (10-08-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 04:07 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 25 Posts
Default iPhone 12 Pro Max and Rennline Magnetic Mount

I was not a fan of the metal plate one had to stick to the back of your phone to make the Rennline Mount work. However, the design and placement of the mount is really the best I've seen for Porsches. I was very excited when I got my new iPhone 12 Pro Max knowing that Apple had designed a magnetic feature in the phone for wireless charging. I was hoping that my new phone would work with the Rennline Magnetic Mount without the metal plate. Imagine my disappointment to find out the magnetic force was too weak and the phone would simply fall off the magnet.

In searching for a magnetic solution, I came across the "HaloLock Magnetic Wireless Car Charger Mount" from a website called esrgear.com. Downside was that it was only an air vent mount. I had an idea that I could maybe modify it for my Rennline Mount to use. An air vent option was definitely not wanted. When I received my HaloLock, I was thrilled to see that the magnetic plate could be removed from the air vent mount, and that it could fit directly onto the metal ball on Rennline mount and be locked down with the adjustment nut! The iPhone 12 Pro Max not only magnetically stays on the mount in portrait or landscape mode, but I can then plug the USB to USB-C adapter into the mount and my USB output from my radio and it charges as well!

For $40, one does not have to give up your Rennline Magnetic Mount when you purchase the new iPhone 12. You don't even have to do anything as your Rennline Mount is already installed and all you need is attached the magnetic charging plate.

Last edited by jdrake; 01-20-2021 at 04:11 PM. Reason: add some info
Old 10-08-2021, 03:28 PM
Thomoondancer
4th Gear

Hi! Did you ever find out how to move the clock? I have the same issue and used WD40 but the thing does not move at all. Do you have an advise to share?
Old 12-20-2021, 02:02 PM
Thomoondancer
4th Gear

This was with my 993:
Did try the twisting and pulling but failed. Also screw driver and all the other plastic tools did fail.
Finally we removed the rev counter so that we can could pull / push the clock with force from behind plus added a screw driver for additional support.
After 30 years in place the rubbers just get too hard!
Once we had it out everything cleaned and new lubricant applied before pushing it back into place.
Old 12-20-2021, 02:04 PM
Thomoondancer
4th Gear

See my other comment... could not believe how hard this was to get out - but it came... there are no screws used it's just old rotten rubber.
Maybe do this with a friend which can help also with counter pressure on the break the dashboard.
Good luck!
Old 12-20-2021, 02:06 PM
Thomoondancer
4th Gear

The magnet is in the holder. But we aware that induction charging will fail once you put this metal plate in the back of your case! There is another Rennline equipment foor the new iPhone charging
Old 12-31-2021, 04:18 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Updated design

I have been out of 3D Printing these designs because each phone required a custom design and exact measurements.
I have redesigned the holders to use a generic ball and Socket design which which will allow to use any phone holder that uses a 17 mm ball to match the generic holder socket.
I have found a generic holder on amazon for $10 . but if you have one that you want to use that uses a size other then 17 mm for the ball I can design one to fit your holder.
Here is the generic holder that works with my mounts
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9BG9ZS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X9BG9ZS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I have the dash mounted one at a shapeways store to get professionally printed because the cost is not that high.
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/porsche-bits

The Ashtray mounted one uses more plastic and is just too expensive to have printed at shapeways , but if you are interested I will print those myself

Old 01-04-2022, 09:46 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the off topic question, but what radio/head unit is that installed in your Porsche? It looks like there is a Porsche script down the side, but doesn't look like the Classic radio they sell.
Originally Posted by John Rygg

Quick Reply: 964/993 Cell phone holders