Sponsored by:

Cup Pipe or Performance Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:27 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jpar
I just installed a schnell cat-delete and it fit perfectly and looks like it is made well, their cup pipe should be just fine.
Originally Posted by speedbagger
i don't have one but i'm not sure i've seen a secondary bypass with a 'male' end.

the one's i've seen (including fabspeeds) appear to have two 'female' ends...unless i'm looking at it wrong.can anyone else confirm (..suppose i could just go out and look under car )?
All 964 exhaust pieces have female ends and are fitted together with a "doughnut" and matching clamp.
There are three of them, cat to primary, primary to secondary and secondary to tail pipe.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:08 AM
mdsarch
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, it certainly helped guide my plan.

Step 1: G pipe - just ordered from FVD with a Rennlist discount.

Step 2: drive the car on street and track to evaluate

Step 3: if I feel I want more, cat bypass or sport cat + DME update

Can't wait!
Old 05-16-2014, 10:19 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

You track, you know you are going to keep the car for a while... Go to step #3.

The cat really wakes up the car, and it's only a slight volume increase after you've install a bypass muffler. No cat also means a lot less heat in the engine compartment too.

A drilled airbox adds drama too.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:50 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 83 Posts

I`m a little bit surprised by the result of this "evaluation". I thought, the performance-crowd will vote for a full race-header system...

I thought, a good performance exhaust will gain some torque and so, some power...?! Not worth the (big) money it will cost?
I have cup-pipe and 200cell cat on the Qpe. It sounds quite good, but i dream for a full race exhaust with cat and heat.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:09 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I love how my fabspeed header muffler kit sounds. Even sitting in traffic i haven't grown tired of how it sounds. Drone isn't an issue either, i do have an intake too. Might help
Old 05-16-2014, 08:03 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a cat bypass, cup pipe and Steve Wong chip (with Cat Bypass option). The Cat bypass really helps with lower end torque and gives the car a nice throaty sound. Sound levels are not an issue at all unless you are redlining 1-2-3 shifts in a residential area.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:57 PM
mdsarch
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 68 Posts
Default You are probably right!

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
You track, you know you are going to keep the car for a while... Go to step #3.

The cat really wakes up the car, and it's only a slight volume increase after you've install a bypass muffler. No cat also means a lot less heat in the engine compartment too.

A drilled airbox adds drama too.
You are probably right! I just installed the "G Pipe" and the sound is a low burble at idle and progressively louder upon acceleration. To be honest, I didn't expect the low grumble. I didn't notice any power increase but have only had it on the street. A certain benefit is reducing the weight of the secondary muffler. Now to jump to step #3!
Old 05-23-2014, 04:41 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last night i heard Vandit's car. He is all stock into a g pipe, and it sounded good. I would imagine a cat bypass, oem primary, and g pipe would sound very good! A lower note than the setup i have.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:03 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After mulling over options for my 89, I ended up putting on a g-pipe. Very happy with the sound, both at idle and under load. The only difference I've noticed so far in engine operation is the very mild hunting at idle likely due to the reduction of back pressure. Certain nothing that makes it worth putting that big secondary back on.

Quick Reply: Cup Pipe or Performance Exhaust?