Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 11:12 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gear shift/**** removal

Can someone point me at the instuctions for separating the gear lever gaitor from the centre console?
Old 08-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Roly Baldwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello John,

Some people have said you can do this without removing the centre console but I think you have more control if you do.

Removing the console is pretty easy - the screws are obvious although you have to remove the switch panel towards the front to get at a couple of them. It's maybe half an hour's work.

Once the console is unscrewed (but still in place) pull the gearknob off (it might be tight) and make sure the switch/display consoles and the handbrake don't get in the way. Once the console is out, flip it over and it will be obvious how the base of the gaitor (a stiff wire frame) is clipped to the console.

It's a year or two since I replaced my gaitor so forgive me if I've missed anything. It's all very straightforward - honest!
Old 08-03-2003, 02:24 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Ah - thanks, Roly.

I actually want to remove the gearknob and handbrake for connolising. I 'removed' the centre console but found that I couldn't get it off because the gearknob was holding it down. I couldn't see clearly underneath to see how the gearknob gaiter is attached, also because the gearknob held it down!

So the '****' just pulls upwards to release, does it?
Old 08-03-2003, 03:59 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by John Boggiano

So the '****' just pulls upwards to release, does it?
At the risk of a potentially embarrassing choice of words, yes.

Having detached the wire cage thingy around the bottom of the leather gaiter, you just take firm hold of your **** (so to speak) and pull with a twisting action - this should allow the '****' to come off.

I can add nothing further to this without getting further into the mire of double meanings etc.

Old 08-03-2003, 04:21 PM
Roly Baldwin
Racer

John,

Yep - Ruairidh is right - you just pull it off.

I'm not sure how much reconnolising the gaitor will cost but a new one is only about £30...
Old 08-03-2003, 05:36 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks for that.

Roly - suppliers?
Old 08-03-2003, 05:38 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

John

Getting it done before the 17th?
Old 08-03-2003, 06:26 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I won't have had the seats done by then, but maybe some other stuff.

There's a (rather embarassing story to it, Rob). I'll tell you when we meet!

(If I can find a corner to hide in afterwards!)

Old 08-03-2003, 07:24 PM
Roly Baldwin
Racer

Roly - suppliers?
Not sure I should be putting business their way but it was type-911. You can buy the ready made version (c.£60?)or the kit that takes half an hour to fit (and looks better if you take your time).
Old 08-04-2003, 02:50 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks, Roly.

So how much putting together does the kit need?
Old 08-04-2003, 05:36 AM
Roly Baldwin
Racer

So how much putting together does the kit need?
When you remove the gaitor assembly from the car, you will find it's made of four parts: the leather gaitor itself, the rubber ****, the wire frame and the small plastic cap with the gearbox diagram.

All but the gaitor are reused and need to be removed. Carefully pry out the cap then unpick or cut the leather to get the frame and **** out.

The next step is the time-consuming bit. You need to fit the **** into the new gaitor. Although it looks like it's not going to work, the gaitor stretches a little and slowly you can work the **** in. Once you have the gaitor in place, overlapping the top of the **** just a little, the overlap can be folded into the recess and glued. This bit needs carefully attention - it's the only very visible bit so take your time and make it look neat. The cap just presses back in.

The new gaitor is elasticated at the bottom and this is stretched over the wire frame rather than sewn in. Now you have a new gearknob assembly ready for installation.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:53 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=20720
Old 08-04-2003, 09:35 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks, all.

Old 08-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John, also here are the instructions Johnny Graham once posted (as Search is not working I'm relying on my supply of old saved threads!)

Johnny said (in response to Joey B's questions:

"The colour match is good - blends in perfectly. My wife is a textile designer and was impressed. My colour is linen.

There are two options available from type 911 (who, BTW Sailswish, I'm sure would mail over the pond)

The first is literally the leather only - pre-shaped and stitched. Its £32 and the option I went for. Here's the schedule if you choose it, and for the archive:

1. Remove gaiter base from console. The base of the leather is wrapped round a wire rectangle with a little upward angle at the frt. It clips into the console on both its long edges. You can unclip it by pushing the left edge down, and it should slide out and up to the right.

2. Lift the gaiter up above to expose the ****. The **** is rubber, and slots onto the gearshift. It can be eased off the shift with upward pressure, plus gentle forward/back motion. Apologies if this is sounding like some 'how to be a better lover' thing. Its prob going to get worse..

3. You can now take the assembly out of the car and work on it. Prise off the shift insert, and cut the old leather off its wire baseframe and the rubber ****.

4. Rate limiting step coming up. This is where youre meant to push the **** into the top of the new leather with the aid of, err, baby powder(I knew it), and pull the leather up past the **** so that there is 50mm of spare leather at the top. The instructions say you need to try this 3 or 4 times to get it past. It seemed like 3 or 4 hundred.The leather eventually 'learns' the new shape. Make sure the stitching sits correctly in the grooves on the ****.

My tip for the above is (gentle) use of broad pliers, which allow you to grip the leather and pull it up far enough, without too much damage.

5. The 50mm extra leather at the top with pliers-teeth marks on it can now be worked into the recess on the top.

6. Plug the shift pattern cap back in - it should hold the leather in tightly without the glue that the instructions suggest

7. The base which is elasticated can now be refitted to the wire rectangle. Again I didn't need to glue this.

8. Slide the **** back onto the shifter - make sure it goes all the way.

9. Replace the base in the console - quite tricky. Slide it sideways into the clips on the right. Push the left down beneath the console, and then pull the wire back up with your fingertips until it clips in.

10. Remove baby powder container from passenger seat.....

You can miss out steps 4 to 7 by buying the gaiter already attached to the **** and base.(exchange for old unit) I would reccomend this
-even if it's twice as much money, you save the inconvenience of sore fingers and the lingering aroma of baby's ****.

Finally Joey, the h/brake assy is also available, but looks more involved/more expensive.
I'm thinking about trying to re-dye the worn leather instead (with help from wife) - will post any results."

Quick Reply: Gear shift/knob removal