Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why so many rebuilds?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 02:13 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 427 Likes on 277 Posts

Jason...I see what you are getting at...but it's a bit apples and oranges..

Sure one can go with factory recommendation...and sure one could go a long time without changing plug wires...and even go without changing a fuel filter til it starts causing problems...

But that said...if a guy buys a 964, or any car for that matter...and really wants it to stay running well for a very long time, then all the intervals for the disposables have to be stepped up...and further, when that person or his shop does that, the car will tend to be under a microscope more often and things that need attention along the way are found early and taken care of before they cause larger issues.

For me, I'm happy to treat my car to fresh fluids and keep things internally very clean and to catch problems early...and I can guarantee my car will always be happier for it. And I'll have 300k on the motor before the bottom end even remotely needs to be looked at (knock on wood)...top end is brand new...so how many miles before the heads have to go back to Steve again? Idk, maybe 200k? Using factory guidelines, maybe another 100k...

In the end, it doesn't matter, but the money spent up front pushes back the money down the road...it'll all get a rebuild eventually...just a matter of when and how many parts wear through along the way. My car is coming up on 95k and drives like its new...but that's only due to stringent maintenance. I drive the **** out of it everyday...
Old 09-24-2014, 02:03 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

"..and even go without changing a fuel filter til it starts causing problems..."
What kind of fuel are you using that wll clog a filter in a few miles ? Same with the air filter. Do you commute to your job in dusty North Africa ?

Quick Reply: Why so many rebuilds?