Sponsored by:

Porsche Newbie in Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 03:34 PM
dboeren
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Newbie in Atlanta

For as long as I can remember, a Porsche 911 has been my dream car. When my brother and I were kids, our dad got us a copy of the "DuPont Registry" magazine and we'd sit on the floor flipping through it and pointing our our favorite cars. I always picked the Porsches first, there was just something about the elegant shape of the 911 that drew me.

Fast forward a few decades... I'm 42 years old now with a pretty decent job and soon the stars will be right for me to finally get my own Porsche that I've always wanted. I just need to find it.

Until about 2 years ago I've been driving my 1988 Subaru 2.5RS that I bought new and raced in SCCA Solo (autocross) in the G-Stock category. It finally died around 200K miles, but that's OK since by then I'd picked up a Toyota MR2 Spyder and that's been my main ride ever since. I work from home so I'm not sure it's accurate to call it my "daily driver", I probably get to drive it a few times a week and mostly on weekends, errands, and other short uses. Once a week I drive after work to play cards with friends, that's the main time I'm in traffic. It's practical enough for my needs and when it won't work we've got my wife's Ford Explorer. I'm not interested in a Cayman or Boxster, in part because it's the car I've always wanted and also because it has a small back seat where you can stow your stuff or seat small kids. We've got a 3 year old son now, and when he's big enough to start using a booster seat this is where he'll ride.

btw, I live in Atlanta, GA so we have warm enough weather most of the year and brief snow maybe one year in 5-8 so it's a pretty good environment for a sporty car.

I've gotten the go-ahead from the wife and I'm currently in the research stage. I'd like to keep the cost to about $35k or less, which seems like it gives me ample budget for a 964, maybe a 993, or a 996. It would be great if there is a little room left over for upgrades. I would like to be able to take the car to autocrosses and try a track day sometime. I've never been to a track day before but we live about an hour from Road Atlanta and I'd love to drive my car there. In fact, we just got back from seeing part of The Mitty over the weekend and there was a group full of old 911's which was just awesome to see on the track. Brightly colored duck-tails everywhere!

From what I've been reading, I'm leaning towards a 964 or possibly a 993. The 996 is cheap, and I understand that it's a faster car, but visually it just doesn't stir my soul the way the older cars do, plus I have read a lot of comments that it's less exciting to drive and not as well made. I'll be keeping the MR2 Spyder, so I'm figuring that I would go for a Coupe or Targa. A real Targa that is, not an oversized sunroof like the newer ones.

So, now with the questions!

1. From what I've said, does it sound like a 964 is a good choice for me? Would a 993 be better? If all else is equal, I actually prefer the more classic look of the 964 and I've heard that while the stock performance favors the 993, the 964 actually takes better to modification so I'm not really worried about that part. Not planning on going wild with it as it's still going to be my main driver, but perhaps some basic things like a short shifter, chip, etc... If I can find one where these sort of things are already done so much the better (cheaper).

2. I have seen a lot of posts saying "drive several examples of each kind before deciding". I'm more than happy to do this, but how? Do you join the PCA and attend club get-togethers or what? Believe me, if I knew anyplace that let you show up and test drive a stable full of Porsches I'd be there all the time

3. Question on the 964 Targa roof. With my MR2 Spyder I typically leave the top down 99% of the time. It only goes up if I have to go out in the rain or I'm out and rain is predicted (I have a weather app that gives me rain warnings). If I had a Targa I expect it would be the same way, it would be folded in the frunk nearly all the time and put on for rain or track days only. Is this going to be bad for the top? I've read some posts saying that this will stretch and wear the vinyl. Basically, if my intended use is going to ruin the top after a few years then I would stick to a Coupe that I can take proper care of instead. Or perhaps I could leave the real top flattened out at home and there is some sort of inexpensive aftermarket top I can keep in the frunk for rain emergencies?

4. From what I've read, most people seem to prefer the C2 version for the lighter weight and less understeer. How big a deal is this? Is is worth skipping a nice C4 to hold out for the RWD version or is this something that only a pro driver will really notice. I've seen some threads such as the "Black Betty" that seem to say that you can get rid of the understeer on a C4, if this can be done fairly inexpensively (with an alignment and/or reasonably priced upgrades) then it may not be an issue.

5. I'm planning to pick up some books - Adrian Streather's "Companion" for whichever model I go with mainly. If I get this, is it worth getting his "Buyer's Guide" as well or is all that information duplicated in the bigger book and on the forums? Anything else I should be getting for reading material?

6. Is there a best time of year to go shopping? I'm not in a big rush so if waiting a while will result in better savings or selection it could be worth it.

7. Is there any issue with a larger (heavier, not taller) driver fitting? I have no trouble in the MR2 Spyder but a Miata is very tight. I'm working on losing weight (in fact the car is part of my motivation to keep working hard at it) but it's good to check I think.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:59 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! Fellow peach state resident here!
I am going to try and be brief in answering your questions, but please let me know if I should clarify or elaborate.

1. 964 vs 993. I like them both, 964's are still a better value at this point, but that gap is shrinking. The 993 has a more advanced suspension, variable valve timing, and a host of other improvements, but the cars are very similar, much more so than say a 1989 911 and a 964. There is at 964 a Luxsport right now that looks freshly original.

2. Test drive them wherever you can. Dealers, private party sellers, PCA events.

3. Targa roof will be fine in the front boot for extended periods. They make something called a Carbrella too, for just covering the interior while running into the store. Its more for just sun protection, but is nice to have. The targa is loud with the roof on, unless you have great seals and a reconditioned top. Dan at CARSINC is your one stop shop for all targa related stuff.

4.I drive a C4. I think its a superior driving dynamic to RWD only. Better wet traction, better overall traction, there is a video out there of a C2 vs. C4 in a autocross setup--guess who wins.
Many porschephiles prefer the legacy RWD feel of the 911, and it is simpler with less to go wrong--but the AWD is a VERY robust system.

5.Look for a car with desirable aftermarket mods already done such as a steve wong/russel berry/steve weiner chip. M&k/Fabspeed/Dansk exhaust, Koni/Bilstein/Elephant racing suspension components. Have someone who knows these cars go with you to buy, and I recommend a PPI in most circumstances.

6. There are a lot of cars on the market now actually. I find that Nov.-Feb. is usually pretty dry, but there are always exceptions. Generally your best bet is to be ever watchful, and be ready to move quickly when you are serious about a car.

7. I can't say much about this as I am a small guy, the steering wheel is non telescoping in the 964 and 993 however.

I hope this information is helpful, you can learn more about my 964 purchase and initial impression here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ust-right.html

Good luck!

Justin
Old 04-30-2014, 02:01 AM
dboeren
Advanced

Thanks for writing back. Athens isn't too far away, are you by any chance going to be at the Caffeine & Octane event this weekend (north of Atlanta)? I know it's a bit of a drive from there and too dang early in the morning, but worth a shot to ask.

I'm glad to hear that the C4 is a viable option. At this point I'm glad to have a wide set of options, because that makes it easier to find a good deal on a great car. I would never stay home just because of some rain either...

I think my next step is to join the PCA and start making some contacts there, I'll also be chatting up the Porsche owners at the Caffeine & Octane this weekend. Should be able to get some good advice and maybe a few phone numbers.

I would also like to swing by the dealership and talk to some guys there. One of my co-workers has a cousin that works at Hennessy Porsche here in Atlanta so I'm sure he'll treat me well.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:02 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Go classic - Go 964
GO Coupe
GO C2
With a few mods and up dates you will have a fantastic car.
You will not regret your choice.
Welcome to the World of Porsche. Join the local PCA - Peachstate Region. Most meetings are on the northern side of ATL. Come to our Autocross events and DE's.
In Peachtree City - south side.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:28 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
Go classic - Go 964
GO Coupe
GO C2
With a few mods and up dates you will have a fantastic car.
You will not regret your choice.
Welcome to the World of Porsche. Join the local PCA - Peachstate Region. Most meetings are on the northern side of ATL. Come to our Autocross events and DE's.
In Peachtree City - south side.
THIS + 964...

...and have fun!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 12:58 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good advice here but note you're in a 964 forum, so we're all a little prejudiced. Drive as many examples as possible; go to cars & coffee, PCA events and chat people up. Not mentioned above, but one bit of advice is to set aside at least $5k for repairs/maintenance after your purchase. 964s are at least 20 years old now and even the most basic of repairs -- and certainly upgrades -- can be breathtakingly expensive. Just be prepared. Great cars, by the way; i've enjoyed mine for 10 years now.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:22 PM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

have to agree with everyone above... really get out and drive a few examples in order to see what YOU like!

I have a C4 and just drove it up by Brasstown Bald this weekend and let me tell you... had more than enough fun! I don't notice the weight difference but then again I am no track rat!

I will try my best to see the Caffeine and Octane this weekend, but I do have family in town. If so, look for the red 964, would love to show you around it and answer any questions..
Old 04-30-2014, 03:43 PM
dboeren
Advanced

Originally Posted by Richard Curtis
964s are at least 20 years old now and even the most basic of repairs -- and certainly upgrades -- can be breathtakingly expensive. Just be prepared. Great cars, by the way; i've enjoyed mine for 10 years now.
Yes, I kind of wish now that I'd gotten started sooner. I believe I was busy being "responsible" at the time though

Anyway, I will keep an eye out for any 964's at Caffeine & Octane and I need to post something in the 993 section too to get that viewpoint. You're right that people are going to tend to cheer for their own favorite cars after all.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:24 PM
apperception
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in Carrollton, an hour west of Atlanta. Previously owned an '88 Carrera Targa, which I sold to my brother. A year and a half ago I purchased my 89 964 C4 with 993 engine. I love it, but I loved the other as well. Since I drive an Audi S8 the rest of the time, I suspect I am used to and prefer AWD. I would only add that a PPI is your best friend. I have used Ryland's in Marietta for years and have found him to be honest and competent.

Larry

Quick Reply: Porsche Newbie in Atlanta