Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

distributor arcing

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014 | 06:44 PM
napaul
Racer

Default distributor arcing

Hi guys so i went to work today and while it was slow thought i would bring it into shop and put on hoist and just remove the under side panels inspect for leaks and clean whatever grime i see. completed that portion with a welcomed surprise i removed fuel pump cover and out fell my missing clip from frunk fuse box that has been missing since i bought the car

now back to original question.i proceeded to clean engine bay by spraying engine degreaser and then wash it off.well afraid of getting water where it shouldn't i left the car running while i sprayed the degreaser everywhere. when i did i clearly saw lots of arcing at the the distributors from the wires on top. i know i've read that you can mist the distributors and look for arcing and the infamous xmas tree efect but is it normal for when the degreaser or water was sprayed on top for it to arc like that because of more water instead of misting? does that still indicate bad ignition wires,caps, coils and coil wires?
Old 04-26-2014 | 08:47 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Sounds like you need at least new wires.

Cannot tell you anything about your caps & rotors unless I saw them, closeup.
Old 04-26-2014 | 09:58 PM
napaul
Racer

thank you steve for you advise. i will be taking it! if i'm gonna replace the wires then i am gonna start with fresh caps and rotors and coils as well to eliminate them in future as i am not sure of the age of current pieces. i just wasn't sure if it was normal or expected giving the increased volume of moisture being introduced near the distributors instead of a misting as suggested to do in other posts.

Quick Reply: distributor arcing