Sponsored by:

Tale of woe - ECU fried?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 05:54 PM
PhatPhlatSix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tale of woe - ECU fried?

In my quest to sort out the throttle-blip problem, I decided to purchase a MAF kit. Kit arrives and I install it. It isnt completely straight forward because it requires a switched 12V supply, and recommends getting it from the ISV. Now, I wasnt keen to chop up my harness, so I went for the coil +12V. I know it isnt the cleanest of supplies, but modern electronics should cope - you'd a thought?

Then tried to start the car - it coughs and splutters like it needs more choke. I eventually coax it into life but it doesnt want to rev up. Took the MAF kit off and tested in the bench with a 12V power-supply. Frigging thing is drawing over 10 amps!!

Got in touch with the supplier and he says, NO never use the 12V off the coil.... yeah, but he said "switched 12V...". Anyway, he has agreed to take it back, repair it and put on a T-piece for the ISV connector. Result, top bloke I thought.

While that's away, I tried to run the car with the original flow sensor - it starts and runs, but there's no real power. Engine dies with any big application of throttle.

Checked everything: there's 12V on both coils, +5V on the AFM plug, AFM flap not jammed, no air leaks, nothing disconnected..... So I'm suspecting the ECU has got zapped by the failing MAF kit?

Anybody had any similar experiences or can suggest anything to check?

Next question, is where can I get a Motronic ECU repaired?

Btw, I dont want to talk about MAF supplier's identity, as I prefer to work with them to get it fixed. I'm not going to use this thread for bad press. I just want my car back on the road....
Old 04-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Sorry to hear about your "experiment" went bad. As you might suspect by now, there is a LOT more to adding a MAF to an 964 with the OEM Motronic than meets the eye.

I've had very good luck with ECU Doctors in Florida. Fair prices and excellent customer service makes me a repeat client when I suspect an ECU failure of some kind. Good people.

If you really want a Mass Airflow sensor on your car, I'd kindly recommend using Motec M84 Engine Management to do this and ditch the Motronic system. BTDT many times.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:56 AM
PhatPhlatSix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Sorry to hear about your "experiment" went bad. As you might suspect by now, there is a LOT more to adding a MAF to an 964 with the OEM Motronic than meets the eye.

I've had very good luck with ECU Doctors in Florida. Fair prices and excellent customer service makes me a repeat client when I suspect an ECU failure of some kind. Good people.

If you really want a Mass Airflow sensor on your car, I'd kindly recommend using Motec M84 Engine Management to do this and ditch the Motronic system. BTDT many times.
You make it sound like I just whacked on any old MAF sensor without any interface. This is not the case - I bought a kit specifically intended for the 964. It just wasn't as plug 'n play as it made out...

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into them though I was hoping for something in the UK.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:39 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by PhatPhlatSix
It just wasn't as plug 'n play as it made out...
In my experience, they never are. Such things are usually overpromised and underdelivered.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:57 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by PhatPhlatSix
While that's away, I tried to run the car with the original flow sensor - it starts and runs, but there's no real power. Engine dies with any big application of throttle.

Anybody had any similar experiences or can suggest anything to check?
Do you have access to a Bosch Hammer or OBD1 interface card for a Windows laptop? I would start with the actual values menu, check to see what the ECU thinks the AFM is actually reading. If the sensor values look ok, maybe take a quick visual check of both PCBs inside the ECU?

Quick Reply: Tale of woe - ECU fried?