Sponsored by:

Tinting Windows on 964

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 04:23 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tinting Windows on 964

Wanted to know what your opinions are on tinting all the window's on my 964. (It is legal here)

It would be a reasonable shade (20%)...Do you think it will take away from the classic features of our cars.... I do drive it more frequently in the summer and it is very hot in Georgia. Trying to keep the interior as perfect as possible... Plus I think it looks really nice...

Thoughts.....
Old 03-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of my previous cars have been tinted as I do notice a big difference in winter and like the look. For the most part though on my 964 I like the classic look without tint (but I haven't been through a summer with it yet).
Old 03-19-2014, 05:20 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Originally Posted by Dr Mitch
All of my previous cars have been tinted as I do notice a big difference in winter and like the look. For the most part though on my 964 I like the classic look without tint (but I haven't been through a summer with it yet).
I have tint on all my cars as well as the wife's car. Not sure if it will hurt with resale down the road and or take away the originality (nostalgic) attributes of our cars.
It would look real nice on my g/p white though...
Old 03-19-2014, 05:59 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just did mine - no problems at all - looks much better. Here in Australia, 35% is the lowest you can go. I just bought a roll of the tint (as doing the wife, daughter and son's car too !!). Stuffed up the first couple of goes, but it is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Plenty of youtube videos that are very good to show you how. Or of course, you can just shell out and pay some dude to do it ! Either way, it is WELL worth it - and if you're a purist, you can soon rip it off again if you ever want to sell. What I call a 'reversible' modification
Old 03-19-2014, 06:03 PM
fluxdon
Instructor

Interesting question I also have given some thought. I have tinted pretty much all of my cars but don't know about the 964. It seams that it is a more classic look without.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:51 PM
hepkat63
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fluxdon
Interesting question I also have given some thought. I have tinted pretty much all of my cars but don't know about the 964. It seams that it is a more classic look without.
yes, I pondered this too - but as it is a reversible thing... i didn't consider it a problem. I guess it really comes down to how much you are driving it (kind of like having the a/c working... if you don't drive it much - who cares)
Old 03-19-2014, 09:03 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When i bought mine, it was equipped with tinted windows..
pimped it out, imho
It caused an unexplainable desire: buy a purple hat, equipped with long feathers.......
Old 03-19-2014, 11:42 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine came with a horrible tint job, so i need to have that removed. Being in texas, i would like to have some sort of heat protection, so I'm thinking of going with one of the almost clear films that has great heat rejection. I believe v-kool has a product like this.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:29 AM
napaul
Racer

I did mine with limo 5% on rear windows and 15% on side windows. Best thing I did to protect interior from heat. Some days I felt like I was getting burned just sittin down and quite frankly the air con in these cars isn't the best or quickest
Old 03-20-2014, 02:45 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

do the lightest shade possible.

if you must have it, do it.

My 993 came with full tint... i removed all of it myself. pain in the ***.... but didnt hurt resale
Old 03-20-2014, 11:21 AM
chakka
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts

Mine were tinted from PO(you can see it in my avatar) and it really helped with keeping the car cool in the summer. I think it looked good! You can always have it removed, but I think you'll be pleased.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Rey Gunn
Burning Brakes

Can anyone post pics of their car with the tint on? I'm also contemplating whether or not to tint mine. Thinking of 50%. Anyone do theirs in this?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:36 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Done mine last summer, just the rear and quarters, to keep the ca8in cooler,
there are different qualities and shades, I went for top a quality and almost the darker shade, it looks good
the only downside is you see less at night in the rear miror , parking at night may also 8e more tricky, when they fit it to the rear glass, the corners were quite difficult, mines are not perfect, 8ut I don't mind....

I will try and take pictures tomorow
Old 03-20-2014, 02:46 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Originally Posted by hepkat63
yes, I pondered this too - but as it is a reversible thing... i didn't consider it a problem. I guess it really comes down to how much you are driving it (kind of like having the a/c working... if you don't drive it much - who cares)
Like you said..it is reversible... I am still considering it.

Originally Posted by creaturecat
When i bought mine, it was equipped with tinted windows..
pimped it out, imho
It caused an unexplainable desire: buy a purple hat, equipped with long feathers.......
LoL...

Originally Posted by vagluv
mine came with a horrible tint job, so i need to have that removed. Being in texas, i would like to have some sort of heat protection, so I'm thinking of going with one of the almost clear films that has great heat rejection. I believe v-kool has a product like this.
I am thinking the same thing except going 20% maybe

Originally Posted by napaul
I did mine with limo 5% on rear windows and 15% on side windows. Best thing I did to protect interior from heat. Some days I felt like I was getting burned just sittin down and quite frankly the air con in these cars isn't the best or quickest
I agree..this is what I was going through and wanting to save the interior as much as I can..

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
do the lightest shade possible.

if you must have it, do it.

My 993 came with full tint... i removed all of it myself. pain in the ***.... but didnt hurt resale
I would have someone remove it professionally as I have done a removal once before and it wasn't fun,

Originally Posted by chakka
Mine were tinted from PO(you can see it in my avatar) and it really helped with keeping the car cool in the summer. I think it looked good! You can always have it removed, but I think you'll be pleased.
Your car looks great....tint works well with your car... should go nicely with my gpw

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Done mine last summer, just the rear and quarters, to keep the ca8in cooler,
there are different qualities and shades, I went for top a quality and almost the darker shade, it looks good
the only downside is you see less at night in the rear miror , parking at night may also 8e more tricky, when they fit it to the rear glass, the corners were quite difficult, mines are not perfect, 8ut I don't mind....

I will try and take pictures tomorow
Looking forward to the pictures....Thank You...
Old 03-21-2014, 02:21 PM
chakka
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rey Gunn
Can anyone post pics of their car with the tint on? I'm also contemplating whether or not to tint mine. Thinking of 50%. Anyone do theirs in this?
Here is mine. I think it was around 30%..Plenty dark enough for comfort, visibility and minimal attention from the Po Po……beyond it being a red Porsche!
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Tinting Windows on 964