Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want one and it's pretty hard to find.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:24 PM
Skyounet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want one and it's pretty hard to find.

Hey everyone,

tl;dr? Question is at the end

My second post (or so) on Rennlist and since the last time I changed the Porsche model I want.

Originally I wanted a 2013+ Boxster (love the new design) but then I realized that I have 40 years (or until they stop the model) to buy one. On the other hand owning a 964 now is pretty unique and awesome!

Anyway, I've been looking for the past 2 weeks and I have to say that the market is pretty empty.

I'm looking for a Red manual either Cab or Coupe (don't really like the Targa) and even if I found some, most of the times they sell really quickly or the price is like at 45-50k.

I found one in CA (I'm in WA) and I ordered a car inspection online (Carchex) so they can go and check out the car for me. Of course I'd love to test it by myself but it's not super easy.

And now the question
The car has 180k and had an engine rebuild at 90k. What do you think of that? Is that too much or if the car was serviced correctly it doesn't matter? According to the owner the car has never seen an accident.

PS: If you know any red manual 964 for sale I'm a buyer no matter where in the US but for the right price

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:42 PM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Black?
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4358120636.html
only 81k miles and manual $30k
If PPI looked good 180k w/rebuild and the right price (<$20k) might be a good deal - IMO
BTW that's not my car for sale!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:49 PM
BeachBoy
Racer

There are like 10-15 red manual cabs for sale on autotrader/cars.com/eBay/craiglist

You're one of the few that actually want a red one!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:51 PM
Skyounet
Intermediate

I'm waiting for the PPI but yes the price is under 20k (one of the few I found <20k).

For the color I'm still looking for red but if I don't have one soon I might go on the black side (which is pretty cool too but my current car is already black, so some change would be cool)
Old 03-12-2014, 11:57 PM
Skyounet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BeachBoy
There are like 10-15 red manual cabs for sale on autotrader/cars.com/eBay/craiglist

You're one of the few that actually want a red one!
You're right and that's exactly where I'm looking at (btw craigslist is a pain to use when not looking in a particular state), but a lot of them are already sold (I called) or too expensive for my budget (> 40k).

And finally the interior color is important too I want either tan or black (there's a couple with the grey interior that I don't like).

Yep I want to perfect car
Old 03-13-2014, 12:47 AM
mapolus
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Carchex? Are you sure you don't want to hire an independent shop that specializes in air cooled Porsches to do the PPI? You'd get a much better report. For reference, I used a shop that works on a lot of 964s, but even they had to do some research on a couple issues that came up on the PPI. Plus, will Carchex do a leak down check? If you don't know a shop, I'm sure you'll get good recommendations if you post the car's location here.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:54 PM
BeachBoy
Racer

Originally Posted by Skyounet
You're right and that's exactly where I'm looking at (btw craigslist is a pain to use when not looking in a particular state), but a lot of them are already sold (I called) or too expensive for my budget (> 40k).

And finally the interior color is important too I want either tan or black (there's a couple with the grey interior that I don't like).

Yep I want to perfect car
ahh I didn't know they stayed on autotrader when sold. I just checked last night and there was at least 3 r 4 red cabs wth tan interior under $40k
Old 03-13-2014, 01:25 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Pacific Porsche has a Red on Black C2 Cab, low mileage IIRC.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:42 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyounet
(btw craigslist is a pain to use when not looking in a particular state)
Try SearchTempest. You have to mess about with the filters but I really like it over the normal CL search.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:30 PM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are willing to import from Canada, I still think this silver 89 C4 coupe is a good deal (So long as i checks out). Stronger US dollars means this is a fair price.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

Here is a tiptronic coupe in Ontario under 20k as well. I wonder what the cost is to convert it to manual.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ572826033

And a red 90 c4 manual cab, 106kms, 28k. Little pricey for a cab.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions...ationFlag=true

Last edited by TouringTeg; 03-13-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:42 PM
hamah
Pro

Calgary car...for sure it will need a solid detailing to get the smell of the horses out. Plus no doubt it will have a cracked and chipped windscreen from all the 4x4ing

Seriously though I get nervous when I see that it comes with winter wheels. There is a lot of salt used on those roads isn't there?
Old 03-13-2014, 02:43 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

180k with rebuild at 90k and good maintenance sounds great.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:23 PM
onceover
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hamah
Calgary car...for sure it will need a solid detailing to get the smell of the horses out. Plus no doubt it will have a cracked and chipped windscreen from all the 4x4ing

Seriously though I get nervous when I see that it comes with winter wheels. There is a lot of salt used on those roads isn't there?
They don't use too much salt here actually, it's FAR worse over on the east coast
Old 03-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Skyounet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mapolus
Carchex? Are you sure you don't want to hire an independent shop that specializes in air cooled Porsches to do the PPI? You'd get a much better report. For reference, I used a shop that works on a lot of 964s, but even they had to do some research on a couple issues that came up on the PPI. Plus, will Carchex do a leak down check? If you don't know a shop, I'm sure you'll get good recommendations if you post the car's location here.
Good idea. The car is in the LA area (Redondo Beach).
If anyone know a good shop? The seller agreed to take it there.

Originally Posted by AME_VIP
If you are willing to import from Canada, I still think this silver 89 C4 coupe is a good deal (So long as i checks out). Stronger US dollars means this is a fair price.
When I imported my 2012 Jeep from Canada it wasn't the easiest process ever so I don't even imagine it for a 20 years old car made in Germany

Originally Posted by hamah

Yeah I just moved from Montreal, I know what the winter can do a car and it's not pretty
Old 03-13-2014, 03:28 PM
Skyounet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
Try SearchTempest. You have to mess about with the filters but I really like it over the normal CL search.
AutoTempest looks pretty cool! Thanks

Quick Reply: I want one and it's pretty hard to find.