Sponsored by:

AutoX: It's all driver!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003 | 11:20 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default AutoX: It's all driver!

For those wondering what else you can do to your car to shave off those last few tenths, here's a story which might save you some money.

One of the Event Coordinators in our local PCA Region (we'll call him Racer X) is just a damn, gifted driver. He's fast in any car. Last year, Racer X was chasing Fastest Time of the Day (FTD) in a 924, only to be edged out by another great driver piloting a modified 911 RS with 3.6L engine and Hoosier autox tires. Racer X was always a close second on street tires.

This year, Racer X showed up in a Boxster wearing Kumho Victoracers. After a couple close seconds, he finally took FTD yesterday by beating the RS driver by 0.032 seconds. He also jumped into someone else's 924 racecar and a 993 C4S and posted two more top five times. The 993 was completely stock and sported street tires--amazing!

The C4S owner wanted Racer X to tell him what was wrong with his car since he was still a good three seconds behind the leaders. With just one run in a car he had never driven before, Racer X made it clear that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the car ... that it was ALL DRIVER.
Old 07-29-2003 | 12:07 AM
deep_purple
Instructor

Thanks for the inspiration Joey!
Old 07-29-2003 | 01:45 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Cool story
Old 07-29-2003 | 03:02 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Seen this sort of thing so many times - poeple throw big money at a fast car and get upset because more mundane machinery can pass them with ease.

A good driver who knows the track will beat anything.

See this at the Nurburgring any day.
Old 07-29-2003 | 06:16 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Question Chicago BREWS them??

Joey, it seems Chicago must BREW them "hotshoes" regularly??

That buddy of yours with the maroon Carrera (name slips my mind at the moment) came up to the GTS Challenge Series at Gingerman two weekends ago and HANDED OUR ASSES TO US!!

What a nice guy, had a chance to talk to him a few times in between saving my buddy and his Sports Racer with wheels coming off and such.

He has got something in that Carrera or has a natural born talent to DRIVE fer sure!

I was behind him for lap or two during a practice session and that car was really HOOKED UP...unbelievable how much it stuck. He could pilot the thing by steering with the rear, it was evident as it stepped out all the way around turn 2, just amazing.

Right at the start he was able to run away from ME (#4, 3rd in class) and the guy in the Bimmer (#5, 4th in class)...kinda disappointing considering I had a 3.6 and good rubber too!

I think the street suspension is a gonner...as soon as I find out I have work after next week!
Old 07-29-2003 | 08:59 AM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

so true Joey! I know guys who whoop @ss with ridiculously underpowered cars. There's one guy in our region who leaves his 911 at home on autocross weekends and brings out his Mini Cooper S instead. We all routinely get our butts handed to us. He spanks great 911 drivers and great Boxster drivers. A talented driver in an underpowered car can easily beat an average driver in a great car.
Old 07-29-2003 | 10:45 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glad you liked the story, guys.

Yeah, Jeff, that Mike Reed is no slouch. He did install headers over the winter and spent quite a few hours tweaking the Maroon Marauder in preparation for his first year of racing. He's also logged a few hours at that track but there's no getting around it--he's a very good driver.

Maroon Marauder (Gingerman 2002)

Quick Reply: AutoX: It's all driver!