Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To track or restore?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:16 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

The more that I build my car into a dedicated track toy, the more I realize that the better investment would have been to buy a dedicated track toy. On the other hand, it has been fun (and educational) to improve with the car.

So, if you know what you want the final product to be, then the best investment would be to buy the completed track car from someone else. But if you want a project, then I think that your car would be a great build - I have only fallen more in love with my car as it has become more dedicated to track work. These cars are not 'ruined' by optimizing them for track work - in my opinion, they are 'enhanced'. The dollar value should not be an indication of what the car is worth to you.

Have fun with whatever direction you go!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:04 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Cobalt,

I do not need to offer another opinion on build or buy. However, if the intent is to have something that meets PCA stock class rules (at least you may get $.30 per dollor spent back when selling), my opinion is that 964 is a better choice than 993. If you want to build a GT class car (cost you a lot more than $40K to build a car worth anything to anyone running GT class in PCA), then either would work.

Good luck.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:24 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

life is short, I vote track & enjoy
Old 02-20-2014, 09:41 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
Cobalt,

I do not need to offer another opinion on build or buy. However, if the intent is to have something that meets PCA stock class rules (at least you may get $.30 per dollor spent back when selling), my opinion is that 964 is a better choice than 993. If you want to build a GT class car (cost you a lot more than $40K to build a car worth anything to anyone running GT class in PCA), then either would work.

Good luck.
I don't plan on racing so PCA is not critical although I have learned it is smarter to build as close to the rules as possible. Especially the permanent modifications like a cage. At least this way it has some value other than a pure DE car. You never know I have been known to change my mind maybe one day I will want to follow through the build and race.

I have a hard time parting with cars and it seems every time I do their value goes up, so I won't say I will never sell but it is not my intention. I specifically enjoy driving the 964's over other Porsche's at speed I find them both challenging and rewarding. There are faster platforms but I am not interested in them. I practically have my own shop and my good friends run one of the premier tuning shops in the area, willing to help out for a case of beer. I am sure I can keep myself close to budget.

Originally Posted by kos11-12
life is short, I vote track & enjoy
I am leaning in that direction. Just hard to start chopping such a clean car but it is looking like the smartest approach.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:21 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Unless you already have too many toys and only 2 arms....

Last edited by kos11-12; 02-20-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:43 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Unless you already have too many toys and only 2 arms....
Way past that point. I am retired so time is on my side.

Quick Reply: To track or restore?