Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 Porsche 964 CCU unit repair by ASI in Tenn.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 05:10 PM
skotter
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Porsche 964 CCU unit repair by ASI in Tenn.

I have a CCU unit that turns on, has lights, but won't control any of the servos. I've been doing research on companies that do repair this unit. I came across one that was very fairly priced, $325 and talked to the service manager Will on the phone this afternoon. He assured me that they were very skilled in repairing my unit and that the repair came with a lifetime warranty. He mentioned that they had various fixes for the unit all of which they do when receiving it. So my question is this, has anyone used them before? If so what have your experiences been?

Here is there site http://www.autoecu.com/

Thanks

Last edited by skotter; 02-18-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:59 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats' the name of the company?

http://www.systemsc.com
Old 02-18-2014, 08:38 AM
Vic_S
Racer

This is the outfit
http://www.autoecu.com/

Sometime after buying my car I found their sticker on my non-a/c ccu unit, stating it had been repaired. I can't remember what date is on it, but think it is getting on for 10 years ago now and still working AOK.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:03 AM
skotter
Track Day

Yes that is the place I am talking about. I did finally get a reply from http://www.systemsc.com/ and their cost is $475. That's good to hear someone has a unit out there repaired by them. Anyone else?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ecu doctors....1-800-328-1425
Old 02-18-2014, 10:17 AM
skotter
Track Day

I forgot to mention I got a response from them. They have stopped repairing units due to some software upgrade problems with the units. He said they would start again in March but the price was $875 which is double the other two.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:24 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The guy who owns/runs SystemsSC, lorenfb, is a frequent contributor here. He's irascible and can be irritating, but he really seems to know his stuff and the information on his website is quite useful. Should I ever require that type service I'd give him the business for his forum support.

$0.02,
fc
Old 04-03-2016, 11:30 PM
mzc911c2
1st Gear

Please read and consider carefully before using Automotive Scientific Inc. www.autoecu.com

In December 2015, I needed to have my climate control unit (CCU) repaired in my 1990 Porsche. It was working and needed a small short fixed that I needed to complete the sale of my car. The cost for the service was $285.00. I experienced what I must say is the worst customer experience ever over the next 3months. As of today they will not provide me with any refund. I am reaching out to you all in the hopes you will consider the following information that I wish I had had before sending them the unit.
• They returned the unit to me 10 days later and it was no longer functioning.
• I returned the unit to them under warranty and they attempted to fix it but they were unable to fix it after sending it to me a second time.
• I called them after the 2 attempts and they agreed to let me send it to another vendor even though opening the unit voids the warranty as long as I sent them proof that the unit was fixed and what the problem was. (I spoke to Casey)
• In February, I sent it to Tore Bergvill in Norway. He was able to fix the unit to original specifications. Communication and service was way better. Here is what he said:

I am appalled by the state of this unit.. The work is of very low quality, and it has caused severe damage. I am astonished that a company will even sign and label such work.
They have changed the internal relay by glueing a newer type in place of the original. The relay was very badly attached to the PCB, and they short relay legs barely had proper contact in the solderings. There was a lot of solder flux residue, and damage due to the use of a too hot soldering iron. This is the third time I see this kind of work coming from autoecu.com.

• I called ASI and they instructed me to send the invoice from Tore with the appropriate documentation. On 3.2, I sent the request to Will after speaking to Alison. There was no response from Will (the decision maker). I made over 5-6 calls over the next month to try to get them to comply with their previous terms and was ignored.
• The last call on the topic was on 3.22 where Will stated that he most likely cannot offer a refund as opening the unit voided the warranty.
In sum, there is great risk to using this service for CCU repairs. The service is not up to standards, and if you do have a problem like mine they may go back on their word, hide behind their warranty and stonewall you the whole time till you get frustrated and go away. I am out my $285 but if I can get even 1 person to avoid this experience it will have been worth the effort.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:38 AM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
The guy who owns/runs SystemsSC, lorenfb, is a frequent contributor here. He's irascible and can be irritating, but he really seems to know his stuff and the information on his website is quite useful. Should I ever require that type service I'd give him the business for his forum support.

$0.02,
fc
++++1

I have sent him 2 in the past. The first one he sent back - at his cost - and said there was nothing wrong with it. The second he repaired for me at a reasonable price. Whatever his forum persona may be he seems to be reliable, trustworthy and honest.

just my experience.

Mark
Old 04-04-2016, 10:20 AM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mark lintott
++++1

I have sent him 2 in the past. The first one he sent back - at his cost - and said there was nothing wrong with it. The second he repaired for me at a reasonable price. Whatever his forum persona may be he seems to be reliable, trustworthy and honest.

just my experience.

Mark
my experience as well. top notch service. fair prices.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:00 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 396 Likes on 262 Posts

Well that's actually really nice to hear...cuz he is such a pain in the butt here...makes me feel better about the arguments...lol. Cranky old fart yelling at the kids...
Old 04-04-2016, 03:23 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

internet persona, methinks. he is actually great to deal with.
he shipped my original unrepairable ccu back at his cost. UPS screwed up and charged him import duty on my ccu. Loren paid that, as well.
i purchased a replacement ccu that needed some repair. he troubleshot the unit and fixed it at a very reasonable cost, with a one day turnaround.

Quick Reply: 1991 Porsche 964 CCU unit repair by ASI in Tenn.