Sponsored by:

Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003 | 12:52 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Keyless Entry

Anyone have any good suggestions for retrofitting keyless entry to their 964? I was considering seeing if it was possible to use the stock system from a 993 or buying an aftermarket system and utilizing the PORSCHE remote (or case at least). My 964 is a daily driver so it would prove useful. Any help appreciated, as always!

Guy

1993 Wimbledon Green 964
Old 07-24-2003 | 01:16 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

I enquired at my local OPC for a keyless upgrade,

sit down now, and breathe in gently.

£750. I didn't bother to ask if that was with or without vat, thanked them kindly and left exasperated.

Kevin
Old 07-24-2003 | 01:17 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

The way mine came to me was with a Viper 100 ESP alarm installed. It is a minimum installation, and a "low end" alarm box, so I am wondering if the PO just had it installed for keyless entry. It doesn't even have an alarm siren attached, and I believe the only security system in the vehicle is Porsche's. Seems like it was an easy install tapping into existing wires which control the power door locks. Provides keyless entry using the Viper's remotes.

Hope this helps,
Tom
Old 07-25-2003 | 01:08 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Kevin

you don't need a Porsche keyless entry system. The Porsche alarm and the immobiliser systems are separate to the door opening. On my 92 C2,, I had my alarm fitter fit a new alarm system with microwave proximity sensor (it beeps if people get really close to the car, ie, face up against the glass to look inside). It connects into the central locking - £185 fitted!

If I wanted to keep the Porsche alarm, I could have replaced the door locking bit for less than £100.

My guy is Leeds based, but any GOOD installer should be able to do it very easily and cheaply.
Old 07-25-2003 | 01:30 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Same story here. I've got a Cobra coded alarm - you press a four digit code on the remote to gain entry. Stops people pinching your keys and making off with the car.

Cheers

Phil
Old 07-25-2003 | 01:39 AM
Christer
Race Car

John

Which alarm is it?

Phil, what was the cost of your system if you don't mindme asking?
Old 07-25-2003 | 02:17 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Christer
John

Which alarm is it?

Phil, what was the cost of your system if you don't mindme asking?
Christer, It was £299 inc VAT and fitting. Model name is aXess 7518 - http://www.cobra.it/eng/Products/index.htm.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it has a very limited range - you have to be right by the car for the remote to work.

Cheers

Phil
Old 07-25-2003 | 02:19 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Christer

mine is a TOAD alarm with microwave sensor. I got the microwave as my car had no internal ultrasonics fitted. The fitter replaces the existing porsche alarm and central locking modules, as the locking/unlocking is handled by the TOAD.

I like it - the interior lights come on when I turn the car off, I had the sytem muted (so it doesn't beep when I turn alarm on or off), I can leave sunroof open without the alarm being triggered too easily and it was £185 fitted!

My insurance is not Thatcham obsessed, BTW.
Old 07-25-2003 | 02:25 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by johnfm
Christer

mine is a TOAD alarm with microwave sensor. I got the microwave as my car had no internal ultrasonics fitted. The fitter replaces the existing porsche alarm and central locking modules, as the locking/unlocking is handled by the TOAD.

I like it - the interior lights come on when I turn the car off, I had the sytem muted (so it doesn't beep when I turn alarm on or off), I can leave sunroof open without the alarm being triggered too easily and it was £185 fitted!

My insurance is not Thatcham obsessed, BTW.
And you can warm your Pot Noodles in it...

I had mine muted too - really naff these alarms that beep and flash the lights at you.

Do you have full closure? I believe mine can be wired up to give that, which would be useful.

Cheers

Phil
Old 07-25-2003 | 02:30 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Don't have full closure - not sure if it is possible. I notice that the windows can only be done up or down if the door is open with the ignition off. I admit, I didn't ask my fitter at the time!
Old 07-25-2003 | 03:10 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

John,

Can I clarify a couple of things then, because I'm almost sold on the Toad....(sounds a bit odd)

It entirely replaces the Porker system, so no messing about with the immobilise fob thingy?

Last thing, isn't the door open ignition off thing face about, mine windows only work with ignition on and doors closed, I thought that any other way meant the door micro switches were shot?

Amended I found a Toad dealer website................

thanks

Kevin

Last edited by warmfuzzies; 07-25-2003 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-25-2003 | 03:10 AM
DaveK
Race Car

It is possible, 'cos I've got it with my Sigma (and had it with the Porsche alarm which was on the car when I got it) - and my windows also can only be open / shut with the doors open if I have the ignition off.

But - it's not that useful. The Porsche alarm used to be automatic - I enabled the alarm which locked the doors and could walk away while it l closed the windows / sunroof.

The Sigma - I have to hold the alarm button pressed while it closes the windows / sunroof. I believe this is a "feature" of a cat 1 alarm, so that you can't walk away leaving your windows open if the total closure fails. Cost me about £100 extra to have total closure on the new alarm but was clearly a waste of money.

Phil bet the short range on yours is to stop people scanning it - it's actually a good thing!
Old 07-25-2003 | 03:12 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Most modern alarms have the immobiliser built into the alarm fob - so no, no more stupid immobiliser keys. Mine doesn't have one.

The doors / windows thing seems to vary by region - is yours LHD? The USA guys say they can open / close windows until they open the door when the system knows they've left. But a lot of the RHD ones (mine included) won't let you use the windows with the ignition off unless the doors are open.
Old 07-25-2003 | 03:14 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by DaveK

Phil bet the short range on yours is to stop people scanning it - it's actually a good thing!
\

Dave, you could be right. Actually, it shouldn't really be a problem, why should I want to unlock the car from half a mile a way anyway? Well, apart from it being immensely satisfying...

Cheers

Phil
Old 07-25-2003 | 03:22 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Dave,

Just had a check,

Windows open when doors open, ignition on or off, dosen't matter.
Windows will not open when closed if ignition off.
RHD ROW model.

Last edited by warmfuzzies; 08-01-2003 at 05:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry