Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Compressor Reseal

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014 | 06:45 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Default AC Compressor Reseal

My AC compressor has a small leak, enough that the gas has leaked out within a year and as the gas was dyed I can clearly see that it is leaking from the compressor and looks to be coming from between the mating parts of the compressor and the hose connector body grouped under section 3 of the diagram below:

A new AC compressor is around £600 it seems (or £1300 from Porsche!) and the parts grouped under section 3 are around £350 from Porsche alone!

I am planning to remove the AC compressor remove hose connector body, inspect the gasket and ideally replace it if I can find a spare supplier (or make a new one from a gasket sheet and use some blue Hylomar to re-seal it. Hopefully, once re-gassed my AC will be fully functional again. If it leaks, nothing lost, I'll have to replace the compressor.

Does anyone see any problems with this approach??
Old 01-20-2014 | 06:59 PM
Zingari
Pro

Is this any good as a replacement unit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-91...item5af08e5ada

I'm trying to work out what compressor options there are avaiable for 964 as I have seen at least two different types. We seem to be poibted in the direction of Denso which are expensive.

I had some 'stop leak' applied to mine which lasted a few months but I fear I've now no option to change the evaporator (the only part not replaced) which is the hardest part to get to
Old 01-20-2014 | 07:34 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

That looks to be a good option Zingari. Although still interested to see if Plan A is viable!

I had the front condenser, receiver dryer and an expansion valve (?! - just dug out the invoice) replaced in 2010, which is when it was last re gassed. I thought it was more recent than that! How time flies...
Old 01-20-2014 | 08:19 PM
r15suk
Instructor

Mines leaking in exactly the same place and i was too wondering if maybe a gasket could be made. Let me know how you get on :-)

Cheers
Simon
Old 01-21-2014 | 08:57 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

From the diagram it looks as though you could easily deck those surfaces (run them on some sandpaper taped to a sheet of glass). Ensuring that each is flat will go a long way towards ensuring that your home-made gaskets (yes, add hylomar!) can seal.
Old 01-21-2014 | 03:10 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
From the diagram it looks as though you could easily deck those surfaces (run them on some sandpaper taped to a sheet of glass). Ensuring that each is flat will go a long way towards ensuring that your home-made gaskets (yes, add hylomar!) can seal.
Sounds like a plan. This is my next job to tackle then...
Old 01-22-2014 | 04:36 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Ok, so not sure that seal is the only bit that's leaking....

Name:  image-2225265890.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  590.7 KB

Not sure just revealing that part will be enough, does anyone have any thoughts on whether it is likely to be leaking from anywhere else?!
Old 01-23-2014 | 07:46 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Generally what we do is disassemble the compressor to see if its worth re-sealing:
1) Inspect the pulley (bearing roll test).
2) Inspect the front clutch hub face for excessive wear.
3) Inspect the coil for cracking and its resistance.
4) Inspect the bores, pistons, and wobble plate and reeds for wear, as well as the shaft for pitting.

If all looks good you can use a Seal Kit

And naturally a new drier, refrigerant oil, evacuate, charge and test (also testing the system to insure the condenser fan is working as well as the pressure switch).
Old 01-24-2014 | 11:22 AM
axl911
Drifting

My compressor was going bad several years ago. Instead of rebuilding it which my search revealed hit and miss success, I just bought a NEW one. Only $300 from PelicanParts. And shipping was free too.

Replacement of the compressor was even easier than changing the oil on the 993.

Quick Reply: AC Compressor Reseal