Sponsored by:

Running cost and rebuild cost

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Running cost and rebuild cost

There have been a few threads on running costs of the 964, but for some reason they never felt to match with what I "thought".

Today I decided to clean up my car's history file and add up the costs.

First some history on the car:
I purchased it in 2010 from the first owner. As an anniversary car, the deal was done quickly and the car never really made it to the market. Since then she's been my daily driver whenever possible.

So today, with 4 years of use, the total spend over the actual 4 years (and only 20k KM), I came up to 20,100 USD. A truly shocking number as it didn't feel anywhere like that much.

This does include a full engine rebuild which came up to only 7,700 USD including labor (I got some good breaks on parts here and there).

Following was replaced as part of the rebuild:
Pistons & Cylinders
Connecting rods
All bearings inside the case
Timing chains, ramps
All gaskets
Engine fan and bearing
Valve guides
Distributors

So there you have it. It's not a cheap car, but also not that bad either... a lot of sedans with depreciation would cost the same. But at the end of the day I wouldn't want another car.

Just wanted to record this online and share with our community.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:27 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Navaros911
There have been a few threads on running costs of the 964, but for some reason they never felt to match with what I "thought". Today I decided to clean up my car's history file and add up the costs. First some history on the car: I purchased it in 2010 from the first owner. As an anniversary car, the deal was done quickly and the car never really made it to the market. Since then she's been my daily driver whenever possible. So today, with 4 years of use, the total spend over the actual 4 years (and only 20k KM), I came up to 20,100 USD. A truly shocking number as it didn't feel anywhere like that much. This does include a full engine rebuild which came up to only 7,700 USD including labor (I got some good breaks on parts here and there). Following was replaced as part of the rebuild: Pistons & Cylinders Connecting rods All bearings inside the case Timing chains, ramps All gaskets Engine fan and bearing Valve guides Distributors So there you have it. It's not a cheap car, but also not that bad either... a lot of sedans with depreciation would cost the same. But at the end of the day I wouldn't want another car. Just wanted to record this online and share with our community.
Interesting. When working long haul trucks there is a concept of economic life. Simply put, that's where the cost of buying new makes sense over running older vehicles as maintenance costs start to exceed likely new running costs, including depreciation etc.

At 20+ years old we're probably going through a similar point with 964s. The good news is that when you overhaul the major systems, as you have with the engine, then they become lower cost again. The secret is buying your car when someone else has done that. Good luck with that given the smallish pool of cars and owner reluctance to sell sorted cars.

It may be a generalisation, but I don't sense people look at buying 964s with the possibility of getting bills equal to the purchase price in the first few years. Been there done that have the T Shirt.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The financial point you make makes perfect sense John... now in my case I didn't think of the financials really as I just want this car.

Did I expect to spend that much? Definitely not. I expected the engine with a top end rebuild a few thousand miles ago to last longer. Unfortunately it wasn't the case. Since I'm keeping the car forever and I was in a position I could afford it, I decided to go for it all the way.

With every bill, it does feel like it is a more reliable car and it results in less costs later. I hope the worst is over and now it's more like maintaining a car rather than fixing a car.

Quick Reply: Running cost and rebuild cost