Sponsored by:

$150K RS America!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 05:52 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BeachBoy
Are there any cars that sent up in value, then back down? I can't think of cars that values went down after going high... Bit maybe its because we don't hear about them as much
The 1989 Speedster soared in value to well over $100,000 when they were first introduced. Then prices dropped to less than 1/2 that amount, only to rise again over the past few years. My first air cooled Porsche was a red/black 89 speedster I purchased around 10 years ago from a Porsche dealer for $39,000; mileage was in the 30's.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:07 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

The only 964 anyone could buy here in the US with a factory deleted sunroof was an RSA, although there may have been some C2/4's that came by special order that way, I have not seen one. I believe the sunroof delete is what makes the car special. Any C2 could have come with LSD/AC/Radio, along with many other options, and yes many RSA's did indeed come with sunroofs, making the non sunroof cars that much more desirable. I happen to prefer AC in the car too, and of course LSD.

Add up what it would cost to bring a C2 to RSA spec and I believe my estimate is not far off.

I'm enjoying this thread

Daryl, If you had it to do over again, and it was 1993, why wouldn't you buy an RSA, knowing what you know now? You'de be way ahead of the game

Porschemeister, what about rolled fenders? Do you recall?
Old 01-18-2014, 06:24 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemeister
RS America does not have welded seems! I had 3 of them and 2 964 Cup. Just regular C2 body
Nuhuh...

And the crinkled paint beneath the front hood...

To be honest, Gamroth does not remember rolling the fenders - they are very, very nicely done, could be factory but I just don't know.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:25 PM
porschemeister
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Using the 9.5 inch Speedlines or BBS we had to roll fenders on RS America. They came with 8 inch. On 964 Cup Cars this was not an issue. So I would assume no rolled fenders, just standard C2 body
Old 01-18-2014, 06:36 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
The only 964 anyone could buy here in the US with a factory deleted sunroof was an RSA, although there may have been some C2/4's that came by special order that way, I have not seen one. I believe the sunroof delete is what makes the car special. Any C2 could have come with LSD/AC/Radio, along with many other options, and yes many RSA's did indeed come with sunroofs, making the non sunroof cars that much more desirable. I happen to prefer AC in the car too, and of course LSD.

Add up what it would cost to bring a C2 to RSA spec and I believe my estimate is not far off.

I'm enjoying this thread

Daryl, If you had it to do over again, and it was 1993, why wouldn't you buy an RSA, knowing what you know now? You'de be way ahead of the game

Even better, I should buy a RSA and put the left over $$ in Apple stock I had no idea that sunroof delete was not an option on US C2s, I guess all the ones I see are ROW.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

...and to top it off, the RSA was cheaper when new than the base C2!!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:10 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
They're all jealous of the welded seams....
RS America does not have welded seems! I had 3 of them and 2 964 Cup. Just regular C2 body
Nuhuh...

To be honest, Gamroth does not remember rolling the fenders - they are very, very nicely done, could be factory but I just don't know.
Using the 9.5 inch Speedlines or BBS we had to roll fenders on RS America. They came with 8 inch. On 964 Cup Cars this was not an issue. So I would assume no rolled fenders, just standard C2 body
My money is in Jochen's corner.

Regarding the RSA in question, you'd have to be a fool to pay this for an RSA... Just my opinion, of course. Maybe in (many) years to come.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:19 PM
911Thrasher
Instructor

You guys can come and buy back a few RSA imported to Europe for a low 60kEuros...and if you have more bucks, you may take some real RS back as well for +100kEuros

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto/search....&ambitCountry=
Old 01-18-2014, 09:02 PM
perelet
Instructor

Kai, crinkled paint beneath the front hood is left over from "super go fast" snake oil. RSA's had regular C2 body, no factory seam welds there.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...sa-and-c2.html
Old 01-18-2014, 09:13 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Kai is "tongue in cheek." The body's were not seam welded in RSA's, and I don't know about any crinkle paint anywhere, but I believe there may be some truth to rolled fenders in some. I have seen a few with fenders rolled that looked to be done in the factory on cars that were not raced......Wish we could put this one to bed!
Old 01-18-2014, 09:19 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Thrasher
You guys can come and buy back a few RSA imported to Europe for a low 60kEuros...and if you have more bucks, you may take some real RS back as well for +100kEuros

http://suchen.mobile.de/auto/search....&ambitCountry=
the first one on the list - a regular C4 - not really low miles- arguably quite a bit less desirable( ie less expensive than a C2).

45000 US
Old 01-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My car is a never tracked, is an all original paint car, and has never had any wheels on it other than cup 1's (until I put turbo cup 1's on it) and it does have factory rolled fenders. I thought they all did, but apparently not. I have every record for every part bought and wrench turned on the car since new.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:26 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

So I would assume no rolled fenders, just standard C2 body
I can say with 100% certainty that the MY93 RSA was delivered from the factory with rolled fenders and a crinkled finish on the underside of the hood. But what exactly is the significance of the crinkled finish?

Originally Posted by boots
Euro rs is the real deal, rs America is a totally different product,still rare but will never have the value of hardcore version!!
And where does the RS Touring (M002) stand in this discussion of what's an RS and what's not? It had no seam welding (check the body-in-white scope of conversion instructions to see just how little actually is seam-welded on the Basic (M001) and NGT (M003)) but it did have AC, power-steering, sunroof, headlamp washers, power seats, electric mirrors, regular thickness glass, dual-mass flywheel.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 01-19-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: forgot about the seats and the glass
Old 01-19-2014, 03:22 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Great point you make here Jason, Not all RS's were created equal, yet the factory badged them. I did not realize the touring versions were more like the standard C2 than I ever knew. Thanks for this info, very interesting!

Jordan, thanks for the proof that at least some of the RS's came with rolled fenders. May I ask what the last 4 numbers of your Vin are?
Old 01-19-2014, 11:07 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon

I'm enjoying this thread

Actually it would cost very little to do an RSA conversion. I know I have one. Manual steering rack under $1000 new sell your power rack for more used. Factory RSA tail I picked up for $900 and another $700 to fit and paint. RSA door panels and pulls a few hundred. Car came with cup I's so no cost there. LSD option also. What else am I missing other than the seats and M030 suspension which could be ordered on a C2 or has been swapped as most do anyhow? I have the badging which is NLA. Came on the RSA tail I purchased but will not add since it is not an actual RSA.

If the RSA had welded seems, Light weight glass, more hp increased displacement electro-hydraulic braking a racing heritage or anything else that set it apart from a C2 other than deleted items and special badges I would say it could command a premium like we are discussing but in fact it is a C2 with its own vin. All great cars and deserve a higher value but not this much at this time.

At least the ROW RS had these special features and is the reason for its increased value. An RSA should command a premium but 10-20% over a comparable C2 tops. If this were a non sunroof RSA with 300-3000 miles I can see the asking price the market is just not there yet and a 30,000 mile car or even a 17k mile car is just to common to be asking these prices yet.

Last edited by cobalt; 01-19-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply: $150K RS America!