Sponsored by:

$150K RS America!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 02:54 PM
StephenJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by secretcollector
Creaturecat has made the first spot-on post in either forum regarding this RS, thank you and finally.

Not only don't dealers have an obligation to us RL's to post transaction data, but they would be doing a disservice to their clients if they did so. We all live in a free-market, capitalist economy, which I daresay provides almost (all) of us the means to enjoy the Porsche world.

Cars, even our beloved Porsche's, are like any other asset, they rise and fall with demand. To denigrate a dealer or private seller for their asking price is simply wrong. The car will sell, sooner or later, for whatever the next owner is willing to pay. That is then the market for that particular car; it doesn't mean that every car identical to it is worth that - the next one may trade for more or less.

It's a forum, and by definition, a place to share your own thoughts, and mine are that after reading the comments here, in the cross-post about this car, in the RS forums about pricing trends, every RL member that is crying foul and bashing sellers left and right is doing nothing but lowering the quality of this forum.
You make a good point. I think the initial reaction a lot of us have to seeing cars like this listed so high is that the seller is obliviously underinformed, arrogant, or both. The reality is that sellers can ask insane prices on the basis that if they don't, a potential buyer willing to pay big bucks for a particular car will end up buying it closer to market (something, as buyers, we all want). I think businesses like EAG and Sloan survive on these kind of shoppers who want to have a mint example with exactly such and such options right now. You won't sell someone a car at 50%+ mark up unless you give them the opportunity to. We've all seen hilariously overpriced ****ty cars on craigslist and the like, they seem occasionally delusional on the surface, sure, but you never know if the seller will find someone who is sentimentally struck by the car and see the same things that they find so valuable. You can't always fault them for taking a chance on that.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:47 PM
boots
Intermediate

Euro rs is the real deal, rs America is a totally different product,still rare but will never have the value of hardcore version!!
Just my opinion
Old 01-17-2014, 04:02 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Just beacause some of you disagree that the RSA may not be collectible does not make it so. The facts are these:

-Limited run factory car with RS badge (marketing or not, it's factory)
-Limited options (Sunroof delete cars will command higher $'s)
-There are likely less than 400-450 left on the planet, maybe 20% of these are low milers and in good enough condition to be considered collectible. BTW, Euro RS's were made in larger numbers
-There are likely at least 400 buyers/collectors on the planet willing to pay for the right car
-They aren't making any more of these, ever!
-RSA is different enough from standard C2's to make it special
-The market speaks, and because no one is proving to any of you they sold for higher numbers, does not make it BS
-This forum likely speaks for a very small % of the market in collectibles
-The European market is clamorring for solid air cooled cars, especially West coast cars, so the buying market is quite large worldwide
-As cars such as US Cups, Euro RS's, Turbo S's, Speedsters, move up in value, the RSA's will climb in value too.

I know the RSA's have been hammered in the past for being nothing more than a C2 with a tail, but if you speak to RSA owners today, they will all tell you there is something special about these cars. and like the C2's if you attend to lowering the car and installing proper suspension these cars come to life like few others, and this change will have little affect to the collectibility of the car.

It would have been hard for me to believe that a 73 T in excellent condition would ever fetch more than $25K, but they now routinely fetch in the 6 figures, and they made crap loads of those.

At the end of the day, Vin is Vin. The factory air cooled cars in limited runs, will command respect in the market. The RSA is a special story and should be appreciated for what it is. The fact that it's becoming a possible collector car shouldn't raise your blood pressure too much. The market will always speak louder than words. At this point the market is testing the very good cars. Collectors are smarter than you think
Old 01-17-2014, 09:47 PM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
Just beacause some of you disagree that the RSA may not be collectible does not make it so.
I think you missed the gist of this thread. The issue isn't about "collectibility" but rather how this car appears to be priced ahead of the current market. That being said, if one person is willing to pay (or close to) asking price, then that becomes the defacto market.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:52 AM
BeachBoy
Racer

Are there any cars that sent up in value, then back down?

I can't think of cars that values went down after going high... Bit maybe its because we don't hear about them as much
Old 01-18-2014, 02:04 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts

History has a way of repeating itself.

Just remember the tulip bulb.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:29 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

How many of you have owned an RSA, besides Jordan, Ken, Mike, 993Pet, Kai, and myself?
Old 01-18-2014, 09:47 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They're all jealous of the welded seams....
Old 01-18-2014, 11:51 AM
ShootingStar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-As cars such as US Cups, Euro RS's, Turbo S's, Speedsters, move up in value, the RSA's will climb in value too.
This right here.

There's a vacuum created when higher spec models go up in price. That means the lower spec models come up in value as well. The perfect example would be the 190SL market now that the 300SL market is starting to dry up and the cars are a million dollars plus.

The pristine 300SL examples are all bought up, so where does that market go? The pristine 190SL examples are going to start coming up in price because the guys who want 300SLes can't get them, so they'll settle for the 190SL.

This is only inevitable for the 964 generation.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:07 PM
StephenJ
Advanced

How many of you have owned an RSA, besides Jordan, Ken, Mike, 993Pet, Kai, and myself?
I owned one until Hurricane Sandy. I still curse myself for leaving it in a garage and letting it get flooded. It was in an above ground garage in Lower Manhattan well above sea level, submerged up to about seat cushion level. I sold the salvage to a friend of mine who runs M-Tech Motorsports in New Rochelle, NY and from last we talked he's slowly nursing it back to health. I bought a '91 C2 a year ago and for my purposes I enjoy it more than the RSA.

You can see it on http://rsamerica.net/market/vehicles/index.htm
ctrl+f "Trappe"
Old 01-18-2014, 02:33 PM
Jaye Bass
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

I know the RSA's have been hammered in the past for being nothing more than a C2 with a tail, but if you speak to RSA owners today, they will all tell you there is something special about these cars. and like the C2's if you attend to lowering the car and installing proper suspension these cars come to life like few others, and this change will have little affect to the collectibility of the car.
I agree with most of what you said. However, I think that the "special" nature of the RSA over a mostly identical C2 is imaginary. If there were some intrinsic, difficult to reproduce discriminator between the two cars (seam welding - for instance), I could see your point. But the fact remains that they can be made identical in every way - save the VIN - for little money.

Now in the market VIN is king, which means RSA's are going to be much more collectible than a C2. Frankly, I hope the seller gets his price. A rising tide lifts all boats even my porky (an extra 100lbs or so) C2.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:01 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Jaye, I see your point to a certain degree. To make the C2 an RSA (less Vin of course would likely take $20-$25K in parts and labor, maybe more.

The items that make the RSA special are no sunroof, very expensive to have done properly on a C2, manual rack, yes this can be changed, but at what cost and effort? The RSA specific tail (Yes you can buy one and slap it on to a C2, but not cheap), Lt Wt interior, (yes, you can do that to a C2 as well except it's a big job), and maybe the factory rolled fenders on some of the cars (although not proved out yet.) To that point I have see early cars with this done and later cars without, again not sure if it was a factory thing, or done after the fact, also not sure about the seam welding of the non sunroof early cars, this point may be an urban myth, and 7 & 8's which are fairly easy to source, and of course the lack of any other options that were available for the C2 (other than LSD, CR-1, and AC) The factory M030 suspension was cool at the time, but really didn't take it anywhere close to where it needed to be, so both cars need that.

Anyway, Do I wish there was some secret factory sauce in the motor? Sure, that would have made it more interesting, but at the end of the day, this is a limited production car, lighter in weight, that the factory saw fit to badge with an RS.

VIN is King
Old 01-18-2014, 04:54 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Jaye, I see your point to a certain degree. To make the C2 an RSA (less Vin of course would likely take $20-$25K in parts and labor, maybe more.

The items that make the RSA special are no sunroof, very expensive to have done properly on a C2, manual rack, yes this can be changed, but at what cost and effort? The RSA specific tail (Yes you can buy one and slap it on to a C2, but not cheap), Lt Wt interior, (yes, you can do that to a C2 as well except it's a big job), and maybe the factory rolled fenders on some of the cars (although not proved out yet.) To that point I have see early cars with this done and later cars without, again not sure if it was a factory thing, or done after the fact, also not sure about the seam welding of the non sunroof early cars, this point may be an urban myth, and 7 & 8's which are fairly easy to source, and of course the lack of any other options that were available for the C2 (other than LSD, CR-1, and AC) The factory M030 suspension was cool at the time, but really didn't take it anywhere close to where it needed to be, so both cars need that.

Anyway, Do I wish there was some secret factory sauce in the motor? Sure, that would have made it more interesting, but at the end of the day, this is a limited production car, lighter in weight, that the factory saw fit to badge with an RS.

VIN is King
20 to 25k, the only costly thing is the non-sunroof. How many RSA did not have the sunroof, most I see have all the options? If it was 93 all over I would be buying a c2, I like my sunroof, AC, and leather sport seats.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:04 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If my memory is correct the RSA was not a factory concept but a PCNA marketing project. The lack of any increased output is both a negative an a positive but it is a fact so we might as well just accept it.
I feel that the changes that were made to create the base RSA do in fact make it a special car. In that regard a base RSA is something worth a premium over a C2 add a LSD and you have maxed the premium. The rarity factor just does not compute since I would bet there were more RSA's sold in the US than 5 speed C2's in '93 and '94. So once you add back in a radio, AC, and a roof the premium should slide back toward a C2.
So a RSA with a limited slip and no other options would be at the to of the food chain. From there it's down hill to a pedestrian C2.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:35 PM
porschemeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

RS America does not have welded seems! I had 3 of them and 2 964 Cup. Just regular C2 body

Quick Reply: $150K RS America!