Sponsored by:

aftermarket valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 12:37 PM
yank
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket valve covers

Does anyone do valve covers for the 964? went to Porsche and they were a bit to pricey for me. I have a old set of 993 covers would they work? they look like they would but wondered if anybody else had tried?
Old 07-23-2003, 06:53 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yank
You've understated the outrageous price that Porsche nows wants for their valve covers. A few years ago Porsche upgraded the valve cover and discontinued the old style. Concurrent with their recent price "adjustments" the individual retail part cost for the improved cover went from around $110 to $405!!
The composite 993 covers are around $150 each, but my mechanic isn't sure whther they would fit because of the exhaust system clearance. In addition the 993 valve covers use allen bolts, while the 964 uses studs. If you have the time it may be worth trying the 993 covers.
Aftermarket valve covers machined from aluminum billet are available from Eagle Day and probably others, but they cost about $250 each and may not work any better than the current Porsche cover.
IMHO the best solution for someone on your side of the pond is to buy OEM valve covers from Gert at Carnewal, with Gert's discount they will cost only a little more than the aftermarket ones. In the US, try Porsche dealers who discount, Sunset Motors or Hennessey. No affliation with any of the above sources, just a satisfied customer.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:35 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Have you looked into having your original valve covers machined? It is a LOT cheaper than buying new ones for $405.

Quick Reply: aftermarket valve covers