Sponsored by:

Patch a rusty heat exchanger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 04:03 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Patch a rusty heat exchanger?

Can it be done? My left side exchanger is pretty ugly with some large rusty gaps along the metal seam. No exhaust smell inside the cabin though. Can that thin tin be welded over? Is it stainless?

Alternatively, anybody have an extra lying around? I didn't come up with any used prospects at Pelican or ebay. At least, ones that are astronomically priced. I'm betting that it isn't going to pretty to replace- if the stainless has rusted, I'm sure the hardware is going to be a real pleasant experience!

Cheers!
Old 12-26-2013, 04:39 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I might? Gotta see what parts are at the shop with the car. Ill pm you if i find anything. Will be s few days though. I'm local btw. Boston
Old 12-26-2013, 04:56 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks! Sending a pm with my email/phone.

Reason for posting is that I'm noticing the cabin air on the side of the hol(e)y exchanger is not nearly as hot as the side with the good exchanger. Both mixing servos are opening all the way. Can only be the drafty exchanger losing hot air, right?
Old 12-26-2013, 11:10 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Stuck Hot air dump valve?

If you will look in your rear wheel wells, there are air dump valves thtuse air differential pressure to open and close that allow ot air to flow forward. Yo can often here them make a light ping/tap sound when you close your doors. I suspect that one side may be stuck "open" and dumping your hot air into the rear wheel well.

Quick Reply: Patch a rusty heat exchanger?