Sponsored by:

Pink rear lights & reflector strip

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 05:37 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Tail Lights /center reflector panel -

The 964 has a pinkish tint to the tail lights and the center reflector panel - I don't know of any after market replacement that offers a darker, richer red color for the lights or reflector -
would be interested in knowing how the painting test goes - as the pinkish tint is one of the little things that bugs me about the tail lights-
Has anyone tried replacing standard bulb with the red bulbs that are out on the market
regards
Gus
Old 07-22-2003, 10:25 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Tail Lights /center reflector panel -

Originally posted by Gus
The 964 has a pinkish tint to the tail lights and the center reflector panel - I don't know of any after market replacement that offers a darker, richer red color for the lights or reflector -
would be interested in knowing how the painting test goes - as the pinkish tint is one of the little things that bugs me about the tail lights-
Has anyone tried replacing standard bulb with the red bulbs that are out on the market
regards
Gus
Absolutely right about the pink...regardless of if you replace the rear tail lights with a brand new set, they will still be.....pink. They only finally figured out that tail lights were meant to be red on the 993.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:27 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Re: Tail Lights /center reflector panel -

Originally posted by Harold
Absolutely right about the pink...regardless of if you replace the rear tail lights with a brand new set, they will still be.....pink. They only finally figured out that tail lights were meant to be red on the 993.
So unless you are replacing because of cracks in the tail lights, forget about spending the cash on a new set....
Old 07-22-2003, 10:30 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Tail Lights /center reflector panel -

Originally posted by Harold
So unless you are replacing because of cracks in the tail lights, forget about spending the cash on a new set....
Fair point, mine have just been renewed after an accident, and are still a bit pinky. However, these lights do become more pink with age, so a new set will look somewhat less girly.

Cheers

Phil
Old 07-23-2003, 12:16 AM
gmonsen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible that the 993 lights fit the 964? They certainly look very similar. Are they a different shape or have different mounting points? The 964 lights are very pink... Maybe the 993's fit.

Gordon
Old 07-23-2003, 12:23 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by gmonsen
Is it possible that the 993 lights fit the 964? They certainly look very similar. Are they a different shape or have different mounting points? The 964 lights are very pink... Maybe the 993's fit.

Gordon
No, they're quite different

Phil
Old 07-23-2003, 01:22 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Re pinkness - bugger! I was hoping that replacing them would change the colour (on the assumption that they had faded and weren't really pink!). I'll wait until I see Phil's to decide...
Old 07-23-2003, 03:43 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

One way to get a darker shade is to smoke it a little with the clear grey spray paint.

I also notice that they look pinker when dirty. A good plastic polish will give more colour depth as well as shine.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:59 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

They definitely get pinker with age. I've seen some examples of 964s on used car lots with very pink/faded tail-lights. Looks bad. I believe cars that spend most all their life outdoors (not garaged) are more likely to have faded tail-lights (just like they're more likely to have faded paint).

My left-rear tail-light and center reflector haven't been replaced, and are in pretty good shape, as far as 13 year old sets go. Still, I can see traces of pink around the edges when looking closely, and plan on replacing them this year. The new right-rear, on the other hand, has no hint of pinkness.

Last edited by Randall G.; 07-23-2003 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:25 AM
Dave Cat
8th Gear

Mine are a little pink around the edges as well. And yes have to agree I dont like it one bit. Drives me nuts.

In terms of the "clear grey spray paint", what sort of paint do you actually mean and where and on what side of the light and reflector do I spray it?

Also what sort of plactic polish is used?

I would much prefer to give this a go before going all out and buying a brand new set to get the redness back into my lights

Dave

1990 silver C4
Old 07-23-2003, 07:07 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to bear in mind - although these suggestions might make your pink lights less pink, they won't stop your non-pink lights from letting damp in. Another benefit of replacing the lights is that the new ones won't have this problem (at least for a while.....).

Having said all that - I did replace my rear lights about a year ago, and it's the one single thing that I've done on my car where afterwards I've doubted it was worth the money.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:26 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a lot of talk of red rear ends going on here

I'm dissapointed to hear that a new set of rear lights are not going to be a nice deep red, but slightly less pink than my originals ?

I'm sure i've seen web pictures of 964's with RED rear lights . They can't all have been photoshopped . Is there an aftermarket company that makes a good copy with a deeper colour ?
Old 07-23-2003, 08:28 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Turning into an interesting thread. Anyone got any before & after pics? Phil, you must have some after your rear-end incident...
Old 07-23-2003, 08:58 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rob, I'd already fitted a new centre section before the prang - the old one was split.

I'm not sure the colour difference would show up in pix. Have you booked a trip to Autofarm yet? You could see my car in the flesh then

Cheers

Phil
Old 07-23-2003, 09:33 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Phil, not booked in at Autofarm yet; probably going to Autobahn next week for diagnosis. Oxford is a long way when I don't yet know the problem (brakes for those who don't know).

Still may get to Autofarm though...

Quick Reply: Pink rear lights & reflector strip