Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Engine Rebuild DVD feedback for 964 and early 993 (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/789448-engine-rebuild-dvd-feedback-for-964-and-early-993-a.html)

LPMM 12-05-2013 04:56 PM

Nice videos Denis, I just watch a preview and it would certainly make things easier for a mechanically challenged shade tree mechanic like me. Perhaps it will give me the confidence I need, so I bookmarked your site just in case. Your videos show the parts and tools needed for the project at hand, out of curiosity do you list part #s in the video?

dmarkus 12-05-2013 05:02 PM

Hi Paul284pt,

The two DVD set for $99.95 includes the complete Engine Rebuild from the Crankshaft to the Engine being ready to go back in the car.

The oil change video is separate.

Thank you,
Denis

Paul284pt 12-05-2013 05:09 PM

Hi Denis,

When you go to buy dvd it shows 2 dvd's of 964 Engine Rebuild @ $99.95 each plus shipping = TOTAL $205.85?

Cheers,
Paul

dmarkus 12-05-2013 05:25 PM

Hi LPMM,

I purposely did not list part numbers, because there might be more parts that are superseded. I can recommend a parts contact that really helped me out when there were newer parts. For example, the clutch throwout fork is from a 997 turbo which is also used on the GT3's through 2009.

My parts contact was great, I trust him, and he gave me the best prices. Send me an e-mail at denis@pfixit.com and I'll give you his contact information.

Thank you,
Denis

LPMM 12-05-2013 05:38 PM

Thanks Denis. Not sure about others, but for me it seems that half the battle is finding what parts I need for a certain project. I guess that as long as you mention the parts by name in your video, one can look up the correct part number.

dmarkus 12-05-2013 06:37 PM

Hi LPMM, and Paul284pt

Paul284pt.....Do you have a quantity of '2' in your cart perhaps? I just tried it and shows $105.90 at check out.

Send me an e-mail if you still have issues at denis@pfixit.com. The price is $99.95 for both DVD's (complete engine rebuild) which comes in one DVD Case. Total charge would be $99.95 + shipping.

LPMM....I relied on the parts guy for the latest superseded part numbers. It's actually pretty simple because there are 'kits' for the engine rebuild and he educated me along the way.

Steps:
1. Bag/Label you parts as you take the engine apart. Get freezer bags with the 'white area' to write on. Label everything!!!! The first part you take off goes to the back of the garage, because it's the last part you will bolt back on. Label everything as 'Driver'/'Passenger' side and 'Front'/'Back' of engine.

Example:
"Driver side camshaft gear," "Driver side chain tensioner." Draw little pictures on the back to orient parts when necessary. Use your smart phone to record every part you take off and talk through it. But, this video we created shows you how to bolt it back together.
2. Have your machine shop measure your parts and determine what's re-usable. In my case, the crankshaft, pistons, cylinders, cams, rockers, etc., were re-usable even though the engine had 129,000 miles on the motor. The car is back to factory specs with the new bearings, piston rings, etc.
3. The machine shop told me what size bearings and piston rings to buy.
4. The parts guy and I discussed what brand of parts to buy depending on how I would use the car. Then I ordered a bottom and top end seal kit.

Then it was off to put all the pieces together with a good torque wrench.

It all begins to come together when you dig in. A good parts guy and machine shop, help fill in the rest. You will have the moments where it all begins to come together just like I did. It's really cool.

Thank you,
Denis

lmazzoli 12-06-2013 08:40 PM

This is great. Just curious, how many hours is the DVD overall?

dmarkus 12-06-2013 08:53 PM

Hi Imazzoli,

The total duration is 4 hours and 2 minutes......very detailed.

Thank you,
Denis

JasonAndreas 12-06-2013 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by dmarkus (Post 10955556)
The first part you take off goes to the back of the garage, because it's the last part you will bolt back on. Label everything as 'Driver'/'Passenger' side and 'Front'/'Back' of engine.

There is an even easier way, just put the fastener back where it came from immediately after you remove a part. That way the part won't go back into place without (first/again) removing the fasteners nor will you ever lose anything or have questions about how you labeled a baggy.

911Jetta 12-17-2013 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by dmarkus (Post 10955107)
...Yes, this is my first rebuild.....and it runs and sounds beautifully. So many of us buy these cars and are amazed at the cost to just seal up some of the oil leaks, let alone rebuild the engine. I enjoy the car more now.

I wanted to demystify the engine rebuild and show everyone that we can rebuild our own engines in our own garage and it does not need to be as clean as a hospitals operating room.

Thank you Denis and Darren for doing this.
I'm visual, so even though there are many engine maintenance threads on RL, with lots of helpful photo documentation, I still prefer to have a video like this to guide me along.

I'm looking forward to the valve adjustment video!

This car does it all and I plan on getting as many miles as possible on it.
I have the same mindset, so I'm keeping this DVD in mind. Very good insurance for the day that I blow up my engine.

PS: quick question... I'm sure the video covers removing the engine? I ask bc, I'm hoping I don't need a rebuild in a while, but it would be nice to be able to do a partial drop to get better access so certain hoses, etc. I see that you cover installation, so I could just reverse the process, but was wondering if you video/discuss removing it also. Thanks again.

dmarkus 12-17-2013 06:39 PM

Hi 911Jetta,

This DVD covers the Engine Rebuild.

The DVD does not cover engine removal or installation. We started filming after the removal and I installed the engine late at night and we did not film that.

I used Adrian Streather's book that covers the 964, "Enthusiast's Companion Carrera 2, Carrera and Turbo 1989-1994." This book does a nice job of explaining what to do.

Thank you,
Denis

greg1990964 12-17-2013 07:05 PM

This is fantastic. What a great resource. So glad someone took this on. Book marked, and liked the FB.

Enso 12-17-2013 09:16 PM

good timing for me Denis
i have mine all apart at the moment and could use some reassurance

i'll buy it on line now
thanks
Glenn

dmarkus 12-18-2013 01:12 AM

Thank you Glenn.

Best,
Denis

911Jetta 12-18-2013 11:36 AM

Thanks for the reply Denis. I definitely see a couple more possible videos.
It's on my "Xmas" list, so hoping to get a copy soon.
Best, Udo