Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Engine Rebuild DVD feedback for 964 and early 993 (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/789448-engine-rebuild-dvd-feedback-for-964-and-early-993-a.html)

dmarkus 12-05-2013 02:34 AM

Engine Rebuild DVD feedback for 964 and early 993

Engine Rebuild DVD for Porsche 964 and early 993.....looking for feedback.

The website is www.pfixit.com

Hi All,

My wife was about to kill me after learning that a top end was $7,500 or $12,500+ for a full engine rebuild, only one week after the car purchase. I tried to put my wife at ease by telling her that I would keep the car for a long time, to which she replied......"I know, I'm going to bury you in it." So, it was time to start reading about 'How to rebuild your Porsche 911 engine.'

After three months, we are done. I enjoy my car more because I know I can fix it. If your in the Los Angeles or Orange County, CA area, I'd be glad to help others that want to take this on.

I would love to answer any questions you may have. I was able to re-use my pistons and cylinders which saved me a lot of money.

Thank you for your time,
Denis.

Vandit 12-05-2013 02:58 AM

Good stuff man, I just liked your facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/porschefixit

This will make its way to my Christmas list.

Andy Roe 12-05-2013 03:15 AM

I saw your videos on You Tube and meant to mention it on here! The DVD is a great idea!

Have you thought about making other videos for more
DIY stuff like changing the breaks, oil etc? There are loads if possible ideas in the DIY section of the 964 forum!

dmarkus 12-05-2013 03:35 AM

Thank you guys.

Oil change video is on www.pfixit.com already. And yes, we have a list of other videos that we want to make. We just need a little break and plan on picking it back up with a valve adjustment (this time in the car), then upgrading the lower valve covers. Also, I want to rebuild my Targa top in great detail to see if it's really that much of an 'art'. It would be cool to document the air cabin noise before and after.

Thank you for the feedback,
Denis

jotaking 12-05-2013 04:47 AM

Bookmarked for when I need it.

justin-in-athens 12-05-2013 01:41 PM

excellent resource!

HiWind 12-05-2013 02:00 PM

nice taster videos Dennis thanks - simple clean style to the whole thing - should do well :thumbup:
Oh, and what do you mean by '3 months later we were done'- the rebuild or making all the movies?

dmarkus 12-05-2013 02:09 PM

Hello HiWind,

It took us 3 months to shoot the engine assembly video. It's amazing how much slower things get when you have to talk about every aspect of the build and make sure the camera angle and lighting is good. We video taped every single weekend for 3 months at 8-12 hour days.

But, if you are doing this at home and have all of your machine work done and parts ready, It goes pretty quickly, about 40 hours for assembly, probably less.

Thank you for your feedback,
Denis

HiWind 12-05-2013 02:39 PM

No problem - yes I know the editing alone is massive I'm sure, especially if you're new to it (as I am).
So surely this wasn't your first rebuild?!

jon91581 12-05-2013 03:05 PM

Great job! Bookmarked for when I'll need it in the future.

dmarkus 12-05-2013 03:21 PM

Hello HiWind,

Yes, this is my first rebuild.....and it runs and sounds beautifully. So many of us buy these cars and are amazed at the cost to just seal up some of the oil leaks, let alone rebuild the engine. I enjoy the car more now.

I wanted to demystify the engine rebuild and show everyone that we can rebuild our own engines in our own garage and it does not need to be as clean as a hospitals operating room.

I took this car to two mechanics, one of which use to support the 964 Cup Cars in Europe..(he is now in Southern California), and he told me it was perfect and I could sell my Prius. This 964 is now my commuter car to get milk, take the kiddos to their various events and go for family adventures with the wife and kiddo's on the weekends. This car does it all and I plan on getting as many miles as possible on it.

Thank you for the questions,
Denis

Smokey7766 12-05-2013 03:39 PM

yup bookmarked....will wait until they are completely finished before I get a set

Paul284pt 12-05-2013 04:08 PM

Hi Denis,

This is a breath of fresh air, great stuff :thumbup:

Bookmarked, but I would love the DVD if there's one in the pipeline?

Cheers,
Paul

dmarkus 12-05-2013 04:33 PM

Hi Smokey7766,

The DVD's are done.

My apologies for not being clear. Based on your response, I can see the first post could have been clearer.

We are looking for feedback on our website. We made it very straightforward and hopefully easy to navigate but there is always room for improvement.

The very tedious DVD review to catch small issues and fixing them is complete.

Thank you,
Denis

Paul284pt 12-05-2013 04:53 PM

Hi Denis,

Is the $99.95 for the dvd complete with all sections or a separate dvd for each section please?

Thanks,
Paul

LPMM 12-05-2013 04:56 PM

Nice videos Denis, I just watch a preview and it would certainly make things easier for a mechanically challenged shade tree mechanic like me. Perhaps it will give me the confidence I need, so I bookmarked your site just in case. Your videos show the parts and tools needed for the project at hand, out of curiosity do you list part #s in the video?

dmarkus 12-05-2013 05:02 PM

Hi Paul284pt,

The two DVD set for $99.95 includes the complete Engine Rebuild from the Crankshaft to the Engine being ready to go back in the car.

The oil change video is separate.

Thank you,
Denis

Paul284pt 12-05-2013 05:09 PM

Hi Denis,

When you go to buy dvd it shows 2 dvd's of 964 Engine Rebuild @ $99.95 each plus shipping = TOTAL $205.85?

Cheers,
Paul

dmarkus 12-05-2013 05:25 PM

Hi LPMM,

I purposely did not list part numbers, because there might be more parts that are superseded. I can recommend a parts contact that really helped me out when there were newer parts. For example, the clutch throwout fork is from a 997 turbo which is also used on the GT3's through 2009.

My parts contact was great, I trust him, and he gave me the best prices. Send me an e-mail at denis@pfixit.com and I'll give you his contact information.

Thank you,
Denis

LPMM 12-05-2013 05:38 PM

Thanks Denis. Not sure about others, but for me it seems that half the battle is finding what parts I need for a certain project. I guess that as long as you mention the parts by name in your video, one can look up the correct part number.

dmarkus 12-05-2013 06:37 PM

Hi LPMM, and Paul284pt

Paul284pt.....Do you have a quantity of '2' in your cart perhaps? I just tried it and shows $105.90 at check out.

Send me an e-mail if you still have issues at denis@pfixit.com. The price is $99.95 for both DVD's (complete engine rebuild) which comes in one DVD Case. Total charge would be $99.95 + shipping.

LPMM....I relied on the parts guy for the latest superseded part numbers. It's actually pretty simple because there are 'kits' for the engine rebuild and he educated me along the way.

Steps:
1. Bag/Label you parts as you take the engine apart. Get freezer bags with the 'white area' to write on. Label everything!!!! The first part you take off goes to the back of the garage, because it's the last part you will bolt back on. Label everything as 'Driver'/'Passenger' side and 'Front'/'Back' of engine.

Example:
"Driver side camshaft gear," "Driver side chain tensioner." Draw little pictures on the back to orient parts when necessary. Use your smart phone to record every part you take off and talk through it. But, this video we created shows you how to bolt it back together.
2. Have your machine shop measure your parts and determine what's re-usable. In my case, the crankshaft, pistons, cylinders, cams, rockers, etc., were re-usable even though the engine had 129,000 miles on the motor. The car is back to factory specs with the new bearings, piston rings, etc.
3. The machine shop told me what size bearings and piston rings to buy.
4. The parts guy and I discussed what brand of parts to buy depending on how I would use the car. Then I ordered a bottom and top end seal kit.

Then it was off to put all the pieces together with a good torque wrench.

It all begins to come together when you dig in. A good parts guy and machine shop, help fill in the rest. You will have the moments where it all begins to come together just like I did. It's really cool.

Thank you,
Denis

lmazzoli 12-06-2013 08:40 PM

This is great. Just curious, how many hours is the DVD overall?

dmarkus 12-06-2013 08:53 PM

Hi Imazzoli,

The total duration is 4 hours and 2 minutes......very detailed.

Thank you,
Denis

JasonAndreas 12-06-2013 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by dmarkus (Post 10955556)
The first part you take off goes to the back of the garage, because it's the last part you will bolt back on. Label everything as 'Driver'/'Passenger' side and 'Front'/'Back' of engine.

There is an even easier way, just put the fastener back where it came from immediately after you remove a part. That way the part won't go back into place without (first/again) removing the fasteners nor will you ever lose anything or have questions about how you labeled a baggy.

911Jetta 12-17-2013 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by dmarkus (Post 10955107)
...Yes, this is my first rebuild.....and it runs and sounds beautifully. So many of us buy these cars and are amazed at the cost to just seal up some of the oil leaks, let alone rebuild the engine. I enjoy the car more now.

I wanted to demystify the engine rebuild and show everyone that we can rebuild our own engines in our own garage and it does not need to be as clean as a hospitals operating room.

Thank you Denis and Darren for doing this.
I'm visual, so even though there are many engine maintenance threads on RL, with lots of helpful photo documentation, I still prefer to have a video like this to guide me along.

I'm looking forward to the valve adjustment video!

This car does it all and I plan on getting as many miles as possible on it.
I have the same mindset, so I'm keeping this DVD in mind. Very good insurance for the day that I blow up my engine.

PS: quick question... I'm sure the video covers removing the engine? I ask bc, I'm hoping I don't need a rebuild in a while, but it would be nice to be able to do a partial drop to get better access so certain hoses, etc. I see that you cover installation, so I could just reverse the process, but was wondering if you video/discuss removing it also. Thanks again.

dmarkus 12-17-2013 06:39 PM

Hi 911Jetta,

This DVD covers the Engine Rebuild.

The DVD does not cover engine removal or installation. We started filming after the removal and I installed the engine late at night and we did not film that.

I used Adrian Streather's book that covers the 964, "Enthusiast's Companion Carrera 2, Carrera and Turbo 1989-1994." This book does a nice job of explaining what to do.

Thank you,
Denis

greg1990964 12-17-2013 07:05 PM

This is fantastic. What a great resource. So glad someone took this on. Book marked, and liked the FB.

Enso 12-17-2013 09:16 PM

good timing for me Denis
i have mine all apart at the moment and could use some reassurance

i'll buy it on line now
thanks
Glenn

dmarkus 12-18-2013 01:12 AM

Thank you Glenn.

Best,
Denis

911Jetta 12-18-2013 11:36 AM

Thanks for the reply Denis. I definitely see a couple more possible videos.
It's on my "Xmas" list, so hoping to get a copy soon.
Best, Udo

Johnny G Pipe 12-19-2013 04:38 PM

This is a big deal in 964 history! - our own version of the iconic Harry Pellow 356 engine assembly video (except you don't have your 20-something daughter in a jumpsuit assisting you, I'm guessing..:p)

My feedback is I love the clarity and pace of the sample videos, and that there doesn't seem to be much chance of sloppy work or shortcuts. Having seen them I can certainly add myself to the list of folks dreaming that, should the worse happen, I can buy a beater and set aside a summer of evenings of putting her back together using this as a guide.

You said a couple of mechanics have seen the finished product - the finishing touch would be if someone who really knew these engines watched and approved the full DVD process.

Sorry to be late to the discussion..

dmarkus 12-21-2013 12:28 AM

Hi Johnny G Pipe,

No jumpsuits in this video, and you'll be thankful for that.:)

1. Thank you for the compliment on clarity and pace.
2. I consulted several 911 builders and relied on a 964 expert on how to do it correctly and what sequence to do it in.

Thank you,
Denis
www.pfixit.com

hepkat63 12-30-2013 03:06 AM

Hi Dennis,
maybe be a dumb (newbie) question - however, how much different is the procedure for a Right Hand Drive car to what is in your video. Never owning a Left Hand Drive 964 - I am unsure what (if any) differences there are?
regards
steve

Vandit 12-30-2013 10:22 AM

^Differences would be in the front tub, mainly related to the arrangement of the steering and pedal box. The engine compartment should be identical.

dmarkus 12-30-2013 12:21 PM

Hi hepkat63, and Thank you Vandit for answering the question.

Thank you,
Denis
www.pfixit.com

911Jetta 12-30-2013 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by 911Jetta (Post 10986646)
...It's on my "Xmas" list, so hoping to get a copy soon.
Best, Udo

Santa brought me a copy! Looking forward to watching it in the coming weeks.

hepkat63 12-30-2013 05:09 PM

thank you !

P356GT 01-16-2014 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got my DVD under the Xmas tree as well.

Sure there is alot of books, bloogs etc about putting the engine together but it is really nice to see someone showing the various steps.
It gives you a litle different inputs when you see it in "real time"

I have stacks of various books from the Werk and other Porsche experts but really enjoyed this DVD.

It gives the rookie that are gona try to tear down their own engines for the first time a litle security to watch and learn.

Today it is so much easier to get help when you get stuck via our forum, youtube, google etc than when I started out in the 80 ;-)

Im happy with my copy of Denis @ work and recomend it for anybody new who wants to learn more about the 964/993 engine

Check out the youtube clips

hepkat63 02-04-2014 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by dmarkus (Post 11012068)
Hi hepkat63, and Thank you Vandit for answering the question.

Thank you,
Denis
www.pfixit.com

My Disk order recieved - however, there is an issue - PM sent.

dmarkus 02-05-2014 01:22 AM

DVD's on their way

Hi hepkat63,

Sorry to hear that the DVD's arrived damaged.

We are sending you a new DVD set with improved packaging.

Best,
Denis

hepkat63 02-05-2014 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by dmarkus (Post 11106899)
Hi hepkat63,

Sorry to hear that the DVD's arrived damaged.

We are sending you a new DVD set with improved packaging.

Best,
Denis

thank you - :)

C2 Turbo 04-05-2014 02:14 PM

Looks very nice but I wish it also covered a turbo model as well as removing and installing the motor?

How different is the NA engine build from the Turbo version?

Thanks

N D MIX 06-09-2014 11:34 PM

just ordered the DVD and gathering the courage....looking forward to rebuilding!!

ghiaben 09-09-2014 06:51 PM

Hello Denis,
I am considering this as well for a potential winter project. If I can only finish my 914 2.0 engine build!
You were mentioning rebuild costs in the original post. In your case, what was the final tally? (Machining and parts)
Thanks!
Ben

Pesty 09-16-2014 04:15 PM

Bookmarked

Hopefully never need it as mine had full engine rebuild already but just in case.

Would love to tackle a job like this if I had the room and time :)

RicardoD 11-11-2014 07:26 PM

I just watched almost all of Dennis' videos. These are really a tremendous resource and really demystified several areas of the engine rebuild process that I have not gone through yet. d.

I think this video combined with Wayne Dempsy's rebuild book can go a long way to helping the adventerous DIY types. And I was glad to help Dennis offset the cost of his own rebuild by purchasing this wonderful reference material. The videos are almost too drawn out, but that's great, and its like you are standing over his shoulder during and entire engine assembly process.

Dennis isn't a rebuilding pro, and doesn't go into some of the choices he made in regards to lubricants or different parts selected, but it is a fly on the wall video of a home mechanic rebuilding a 964 engine step by step.

These videos, Wayne's book, and the Rennlist and Pelican forum searches can answer almost any question you may have.

HalV 11-12-2014 06:42 AM

These videos are going on my x-mas list.

911Jetta 11-12-2014 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by RicardoD (Post 11795984)
I just watched almost all of Dennis' videos. These are really a tremendous resource and really demystified several areas of the engine rebuild process that I have not gone through yet...

...Dennis isn't a rebuilding pro, and doesn't go into some of the choices he made in regards to lubricants or different parts selected, but it is a fly on the wall video of a home mechanic rebuilding a 964 engine step by step...

I have the video but haven't watched it yet, at the very least I'll have a better understanding and appreciation for the work that's involved when the day comes...

Let's say I grow wings and do it myself down the road, what do all the special tools cost that are needed to do the rebuild. $500 plus for tools?

Originally Posted by HalV (Post 11797020)
These videos are going on my x-mas list.

It was a Xmas gift from my mother-in-law last year. Probably the smell of the cat bypass set her off. She's terrified of having a car out of warranty. Her cars have been Acuras and Toyotas, all sold off with less than 60,000 miles. What is she trying to tell me??

RicardoD 11-12-2014 12:32 PM

You need the cam sprocket holding tool and the crankshaft holding tool. Perhaps some special sockets you don't already have. Not too many special lubricants and some recently calibrated torque wrenches. $500 is a ballpark number.

911Jetta 11-12-2014 02:47 PM

Thanks for the answer Ricardo!

993Godspeed 02-04-2015 01:09 PM

I have sent 2 emails asking for some questions but OP must be busy. So I will ask in this thread.

Has anyone attempted to do a rebuild on a 993 TT with this video? Can't see the engines being completely different but you never know.

ThomasC2 02-04-2015 02:11 PM

A friend of mine and I are rebuilding his engine right now. Yesterday we put the bottom halves back togehter. This DVD is really, really usefull on a laptop screen on the work bench!

Thomas

993Godspeed 02-04-2015 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ThomasC2 (Post 12012920)
A friend of mine and I are rebuilding his engine right now. Yesterday we put the bottom halves back togehter. This DVD is really, really usefull on a laptop screen on the work bench!

Thomas

Thanks. I found the answer, seems internally they are the same but different with the turbo externally etc.

C4inLA 02-06-2015 01:32 PM

Hi Dennis,

Just picked up the video yesterday at PP :). Will finish first viewing today. Cleared up so many missing bits of info for me on bottom end of engine, cam timing, etc. I am years and significant mileage away from a rebuild, I hope. There are so many benefits I take from the video, one of which helps me negotiate maintenance and repairs with Indy Mechanics. I also have a better understanding of gauges, through bolts, etc. Had a bunch of Ah-Ha moments :)

Since we are both in SoCal, I would like to ask you a handful of questions on sourcing and machine work you had done. Perhaps a PM to you in near future.

Fantastic source of info for a 964 DIY shadetree mechanic wanting to do a deeper dive on their 964. Thanks for taking the time and getting subject matter on video.

Regards,

Matthew

Theo911 04-08-2015 11:19 AM

Just purchased the rebuild dvd yesterday PERFECT timing as I was just compiling everything to start my 1989 3.6 rebuild myself. Found out about it on youtube first but now seeing it on Rennlist and Pelican. I'll be hitting the forums pretty hard for the next several months!

fiskarflugen 07-22-2015 02:27 PM

Rebuild DVD

Has anyone used the dvd to rebuild their engine yet? I was told by several wrenches that there are 'rookie mistakes' that are always made and that is what terrifies me. Does the dvd help you avoid those? Also, does it go into what to look for when torn down so you know what needs replacing or does it just replace everything? Thanks

hockenheimr 07-23-2015 12:24 AM

Most people are visual, so it's a good compliment to some of the technical books.

There is nothing in the vids about tearing down the engine, and nothing about part tolerances.

Most rebuilds require standard items to be changed so if you order the parts from a good shop they will know exactly what needs to be replaced...like chains, guides, bearings, gaskets & seals, rings, etc.

You will need to find a good machine shop in any case, and they will be able to check the specs on your pistons, cylinders, crank, etc and tell you if they can be fixed or need to be replaced.

If you choose to go with a build shop then I would pick one that works on these engines day in and day out.

I think the major rookie mistakes are not to double check tolerances on bearings and measure compression ratios...so it's not just pieces of a puzzle.

ThomasC2 07-23-2015 04:26 AM

We're almost done with my friends engine so I can't say if it's a success yet. But I sure hope so!
We have used the workshop manual and this forum for facts and numbers together with the DVD. The heads were sent away to a specialist.

Msd 02-20-2018 05:29 AM

Where is this DVD?

Sorry guys for awaking this thread but I cant find this DVD anywhere and the website doesn't work anymore!
any input is highly appreciated.

Musaed

alver 01-17-2022 12:09 PM

https://www.pfixit.com/engineremoval.html

just bought some dvds