Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake disc skimming - experiences...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013 | 03:30 AM
Masher
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy

Agree that maybe you've got pads which aren't retracting fully...this could lead to them sticking and this will probably be caused by the metal plates lifting due to brake dust getting underneath, again possible due to different expansion rate to the caliper metal!

I have to shave my pads to get them in and to enable them to move freely!

Really must spend the cash to get the calipers refurbished.
I had the calipers refurbished about 5 years ago too! I cannot deny part of me is looking at the situation and starting to use 'man-maths' to justify a front brake upgrade

With the car jacked up and turning the front wheels by hand, it is clear there is a point in the rotation of the wheel where the brake pads connect with the disc. This makes me think 'warped' disc. I didn't mention these are Sebro cross drilled sports discs not the solid type. I wonder if this makes any difference.

Despite my complete lack of mechanical aptitude, looks like I will need to take things apart, look, clean and see what needs doing

Cheers all,
Mick
Old 12-03-2013 | 11:44 AM
r15suk
Instructor

I had very bad brake judder when i got mine, so i replaced the pads and rotors with Pagid ones. They were ok for a while but then the judder came back (i did bed them in correctly btw). So before Spa i changed the pads to Hawk HP+ (on Boxey's recommendation) in the hope that they would skim off some of the old deposits from the rotors. That worked to an extent and Spa was ok with a small bit of judder at times, but then it got worse again. Now i have just fitted Sebro drilled disks (and left the HP+ pads in) and at the moment all seems ok. But the are still quite new so time will tell.....

Cheers
Simon
Old 12-04-2013 | 05:30 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

If you are going to have your discs skimmed, look at a Pro Cut (I believe). This is the same tool the Porsche dealer used to get rid of the judder you describe (not always the solution though).

This device cuts without requiring to take the rotor off the car and aligns it's cutting with the car's axle.

It made some judder on my car go away instantly and it cost me about $100. I got some pictures at home and will see that I can post them.
Old 08-07-2014 | 05:58 AM
Masher
Instructor

Just to close the loop on this subject. I had the discs skimmed and the juddering has gone and the bite of the brakes is much improved. It works

Quick Reply: Brake disc skimming - experiences...?