Sponsored by:

Rear flappy boxes

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 06:32 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rear flappy boxes

Don't know their proper name (heat dump valves?) but I'm referring to the two alloy boxes that sit at the other end of the orange heater hoses that attach to the heat exchangers.

How loose should the internal flap inside them be? I have them off the car and although the flaps will move when pressed with fingers, its certainly not loose enough to move when shaken about. I can't see that the blower would be able to generate sufficient pressure to move them.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2013, 07:39 PM
ziu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should move by turning the housing. Some where in the net you can find a workaround. You just have to drill the rivettes to seperate the two halfs. Then you can fix it.
Good luck!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:22 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They should be so loose that you can hear clink, clink when you shut a door due to the air pressure change moving them. Saying that, I don't think mine move that freely but my heating system appears to work well.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

+1 - They should be very loose. The official name according to PET is "heat control box". Its listed on 202-20.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:29 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, they should make that characteristic 'plink' when you shut the door.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:00 PM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys. I split both the boxes open this eve and it isn't looking good.
The flap has a pivot pin welded to it which is supported both ends with plastic bushes recessed into the Walls of the housing.
One end of the pivot on each flapper has rotted to nothing, and the corresponding bush is munched.

I'll come up with something to sort them out but it's far from an interesting/exciting problem to solve.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:55 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Right'o, my non flappy, flappy things are now sorted. Here's what I did.

The flappers pivot on a steel pin that protrudes from a chunky alloy casing and then spot welded to the flapper (over the top engineering?). This is what the 'good' ends of the pivot pin look like.

This is what the 'bad' ends look like. The pin has rusted away resulting in it just binding.

Here you can see the chunky casting that houses the steel pivot pin.

A quick stroke of the grinder on the spot welds had them separated.

The protruding ends of the steel pins are approx 4mm OD so I cut two of the correct lengths from a piece of 4mm aluminium bar.

The pins where then epoxied to the flappers ensuring they stood proud of the surface by 2mm as they would have done in the old housing.

The ends of the pivot sit in tiny plastic bushes recessed into the wall of the heater box housing. On closer inspection I decided not to reuse them and lifted them out since they were furred up.

Now I don't believe the bushes are available so instead I filled the recesses with more epoxy (JB weld) and them drilled the correct size hole for the pivot.

All that remained was to reassemble with 3 pop rivets into each housing that had to be drilled out to separate the unit.

Both flappers now move about very freely, and are hopefully a little more corrosion resistant now since there's no steel
Old 11-09-2013, 12:31 PM
ziu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulation, well done!

Quick Reply: Rear flappy boxes