964 WIDE body conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 04:49 AM
Sire
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tomato
Gulf is a good colour, this is my 964 Carrera 4 Pantone code is 328
I really did enjoy your rebuild. I'm planning this for several years and finaly after searching and collecting Porsche parts. I got the parts i needed so now the car is with the mechanic and he rebuilds inm his spare hours to reduce the cost.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 AM
jotaking
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sire
I really did enjoy your rebuild. I'm planning this for several years and finaly after searching and collecting Porsche parts. I got the parts i needed so now the car is with the mechanic and he rebuilds inm his spare hours to reduce the cost.
New Thread and Pics please!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 AM
WESTMOTORSPORTS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looked into it. Fiberglass isn't good for the long run, as the glass expands and contracts at a different rate than steel with temp changes, inevitably leading to cracking. New quarters compromise the factory welds and undercoating at the body mount joints - far better to butt-weld steel flares onto your existing rear qps. On the front, the best would be to bolt on 964 wb fenders, but they're pretty much unobtanium. 930 front fenders have a slightly different cutout for the fuel door and so need some bodywork to fit a 964. As a result, again, it's best to butt-weld steel flares onto your existing front fenders. As to front and rear bumper covers, the aftermarket fiberglass ones are cheap and readily available, but are very brittle and will crack upon a minor parking lot bump, unlike the factory vinyl ones, which are more supple. Best of luck
!

Thank you jjjmcd for answering my question!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:22 PM
Sire
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This going to be a real slow proces but when there is something done and the pics are made, i wil post them.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:37 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vagluv
in that case, for me asking, youll have to get mine done too!
j

Just checked the numbers ......... nevermind
Old 11-01-2013, 06:12 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm tempted to do a wide IB 930 backdate on my 964, from this:

To this:

Pretty sure 8&9x16 Fuchs would fit(without spacers) which are 2.5/3.5kg lighter per corner which should more than offset the extra width weight. Also an IB has quite deep side sills compared to earlier stuff so you can easily hide all the dangling 964 thermostat and oil lines etc so it should look fairly convincing.

Something like this for the bumpers:
http://www.f-s-h.com/contents/en-uk/p316.html

Freeflow lightweight exhaust + remap and should be quite good fun

P.S. anyone wana trade a C2/C4 LHD for a C2 RHD 964 before I start chopping it up as I really prefer the left hookers.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:04 AM
ALEX P
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jevvy964
I'm tempted to do a wide IB 930 backdate on my 964, from this:

To this:

Pretty sure 8&9x16 Fuchs would fit(without spacers) which are 2.5/3.5kg lighter per corner which should more than offset the extra width weight. Also an IB has quite deep side sills compared to earlier stuff so you can easily hide all the dangling 964 thermostat and oil lines etc so it should look fairly convincing.

Something like this for the bumpers:
http://www.f-s-h.com/contents/en-uk/p316.html

Freeflow lightweight exhaust + remap and should be quite good fun

P.S. anyone wana trade a C2/C4 LHD for a C2 RHD 964 before I start chopping it up as I really prefer the left hookers.
DO IT!

Most people go the 3.0RS / IROC look so it would be refreshing backdate.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:24 PM
jotaking
Racer

Mine has developed a couple of small rust spots (scuttle & bonnet). Other than that the paint is not bad. However rather than just patch, repair and blend the panels I have decided to respray the whole car and replace seals and fasteners where required.

Been quoted 2-3K for a re-spray and budgeted approx 250 for seals, fasteners etc...

Here is the rub...

As some of you may know, my all time favourite car is the speedster WB, however due to major costs to either convert or buy one of these I have resigned myself to never owning one.

The next best thing has to be the WB cab. (Did Porsche ever make these or are they all a conversions?)

I wanted to get a gauge on price for the conversion and any advice from other listers who have embarked on a similar journey?.

My plan would be...

Use steel Porsche wings front & back c/w with original Porsche bumpers and if possible keep the existing track and expand the width with wheel and offsets??

Not sure if this is possible? Or do you need to replace all the trailing arms, drive shafts, roll bars etc...to bring the wheels out to fit the new wings?.

Does anyone have a parts list for this conversion?

I wanted to see if it is worth holding out on the respray whilst I collect the parts required??

Any advice welcome.

TIA

Steve
Old 11-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jotaking
I wanted to get a gauge on price for the conversion and any advice from other listers who have embarked on a similar journey?.

My plan would be...

Use steel Porsche wings front & back c/w with original Porsche bumpers and if possible keep the existing track and expand the width with wheel and offsets??

Not sure if this is possible? Or do you need to replace all the trailing arms, drive shafts, roll bars etc...to bring the wheels out to fit the new wings?.

Does anyone have a parts list for this conversion?

I wanted to see if it is worth holding out on the respray whilst I collect the parts required??
I think you're looking at the thick end of £10k in parts alone from Porsche unless you're patient and hunt down used items on ebay etc. The latter could take some time, I've been searching for over a year for a used Turbo bumper with no luck.

As for track, I'd just move the front suspension mounts outboard and then fit a Turbo ARB - you could leave the rears as is and just fit wider wheels to fill the arches. This is what I did but went with a thicker RSR front ARB. I assume your car isn't a C4 otherwise you may need to change the front driveshafts for Jubi ones.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:57 AM
jotaking
Racer

Originally Posted by Talat
I think you're looking at the thick end of £10k in parts alone from Porsche unless you're patient and hunt down used items on ebay etc. The latter could take some time, I've been searching for over a year for a used Turbo bumper with no luck.
Thanks for the info Talat.

Originally Posted by Talat
As for track, I'd just move the front suspension mounts outboard and then fit a Turbo ARB - you could leave the rears as is and just fit wider wheels to fill the arches. This is what I did but went with a thicker RSR front ARB. I assume your car isn't a C4 otherwise you may need to change the front driveshafts for Jubi ones.
Mine is a C4 so would need to adjust drive shafts etc..

Seems to be getting further away every time I contemplate this.

Think the best bet is to buy a converted car?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:44 AM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

The next best thing has to be the WB cab. (Did Porsche ever make these or are they all a conversions?)
I am not sure if WB cabs were available in Europe but Porsche did make some for the US market, they were the America Roadster and I believe limited to 250 units.

Think the best bet is to buy a converted car?
It is always cheaper to buy rather than build, but you have to make sure you're not getting a hack job. A lot of people can do a WB, but few can do it right though. As you know, mine is a conversion and a PO spent a boatload making it a WB and doing it the right way, money was no object for him. I do have NB underpinnings and I use spacers and wheel offsets to bring the wheels out.

Perhaps you could do something like the image below to get the look but save on all the parts required for a full conversion. This RSA had the rear flares widened but yet retained the NB front, NB rockers, and NB rear bumper.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:09 PM
jotaking
Racer

Thanks for the info Laurent..

Think I'm best waiting for a R/H drive version of yours to come up for sale in the uk.

The RSA looks great..so this is NB front, sides with turbo wings/fenders at the rear?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:31 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

The RSA pictured above is not running Turbo flares, one of the POs widened the wheel wells so that he could run 235s fronts and 305s in the rear. The top of the flare was built and stretched out with an aggressive taper to catch the NB bumper and rockers/shark fin, with a custom aluminum fender liner. I'm sure it was a little pricey but it's a way to get bigger arches without the additional expenses required for new bumpers, rockers, fenders, liners, etc... sort of a short hood ST and I think it works fairly well. Different for sure.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:18 AM
sturm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^I like that car, kind of a hot rod look^^

Back to the OP; I spoke with a reputable shop experienced with the conversion and was quoted 15-16k $u.s. (Seattle area) You would have to add the cost of wheels to this.

The bumper covers were available-$1100 f and r if I recall. The quarter panels weren't shown as stocked but may still be available. The shop I spoke with would weld on the flares and not replace the quarters. Lots of other bits and pieces you would still need.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:22 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys.....I posted this on the 911 forum and got very little attention. I also love the WB, particularly on the 964. I know you guys are discussing doing the job yourself and the costs of doing such, but what value would you place on something already done ?

My post on the 911 forum:
Guys....question on value. I am inquiring on this car which has come to my attention. Its a bit of a frankenporshce, but nicely done. Sorry, no pics that I can post since they are pdf format.

The car
Paint - 9.5 out of 10
965 body kit
3.6 twin plugged
cyntex engine chip
3200 miles since rebuilt
Fiske hand forged racing wheels
cold AC
Billy Boat SS exhaust
Adjustable Bilstein sport shocks and struts
Racers group sway bars
Sway away spring plates
22mm front torsion bars
29mm rear torsion bars
blaupunkt radio
New rubber
RS doors
Power sport seats
5 speed short shift

Supposedly a collector car for past 10 years

I know its not for everyone, but it seems well done.
Any help on price / value for this ?

Quick Reply: 964 WIDE body conversion