DIY oil change....

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:00 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default DIY oil change....

Hi everyone,

I decided to change the oil, that is my first attempt, first I must say for those who are going to do it for the first time, there is a lot of oil coming out from the tank drain hole, I know it's been mentioned many times,
(I have drain many engines) but this is something else,

it's like fully open a hot water tap .... the capacity of the drain pan is not only important, also don't forget to open all the vents of the pan, otherwise a lot of oil will be on the floor like I had, I have one of those sophisticate pan, but I think a flat and square builder bucket would be suitable as well;

best is to avoid any big spilling, not only because you will be wiping the floor for a long time but you can not be certain of how much oil you drained, as you can not measure it...when fitting it back into an empty can, for example,

the other thing is, I could not fit my wrench to undo the engine plug, the exhaust was on the way and I did not have a 15mm spanner, so I left it for the next day but unfortunately the oil was cold, the weather here is mild; 20° so hopefully most of it will come out, I left drain for the night at an angle, in the mean time I have the socket modified by 10mm to be able to fit back the plug, and torque it to 37 lbf / 50 nm

the other mistake I have done and realize to late is that I did not worm the oil enough, I drain it when the needle was under the 9 o'clock position, I should have waited to be above 9 o'clock position, for the thermostat to be fully open, so I may not have drained all the oil...

question;
should I drain the front cooler ? does any one have a picture showing how to drain it ?

thanks a lot
Old 10-21-2013, 10:20 AM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kos11-12
the other mistake I have done and realize to late is that I did not worm the oil enough, I drain it when the needle was under the 9 o'clock position, I should have waited to be above 9 o'clock position, for the thermostat to be fully open, so I may not have drained all the oil...

question;
should I drain the front cooler ? does any one have a picture showing how to drain it ?

thanks a lot
9 O'Clock seems awfully high to me? My thermostat would never be open if this was the threshold?

Regardless, I think you're fine and don't need to drain the oil from the front cooler.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:06 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

thanks for your comment,
I had the impression the thermostat open just above the 9 o'clock position,
this is the time I always check the oil level ...
when does it open then ?
I never had any temperature or cooling issues,
when topping up with new oil do you have the oil filler cap open with the engine running to gradually poor more oil ?

Last edited by kos11-12; 10-21-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think there is a certain point at which the thermostat opens. I'm sure that not all our cars would be the same anyway. I was told that the only way to be sure the thermostat was open was to listen for the fan to come on under the oil cooler at the front of the car. This usually takes ages, about 30 minutes of the engine left idling and only stays on for a minute or two until it has brought the temperature back down. If you stand outside the car keeping an eye on the temperature gauge you will hear when the thermostat opens and the fan comes on.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:10 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The thermostat open at just under the 194 degree mark on the gauge. I like to bring the oil temp up to the 194 degree mark and then start the drain. I have made a small platform for the oil pan, so its right up under the car, a lot less spillage that way.
To refill, pour in 6 quarts/liters, then start up the engine and slowly add the rest, normally around 3 1/2 - 4 more quarts.
There is no need to drain the cooler, but it is possible to do, there was a thread here on how to.

Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2013, 12:34 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I change my oil, on average, six to seven times a year. Hot or cold, it makes no difference.

Dump it out, put 9 quarts back in, don't worry. Check later when car is HOT.

I use kitty litter buckets to drain into, easy, clean and easy transport to the back pond where I dump it.

(Something remarkable happened just yesterday). I changed oil (didn't pull the filter though) and not ONE drop hit the ground. To make the point to myself, I only used one shop rag during the entire operation and even it was relatively clean. This wll never happen again, I'm sure, but it was fun while it lasted)
Old 10-21-2013, 12:35 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by crg53
The thermostat open at just under the 194 degree mark on the gauge. I like to bring the oil temp up to the 194 degree mark and then start the drain. I have made a small platform for the oil pan, so its right up under the car, a lot less spillage that way.
To refill, pour in 6 quarts/liters, then start up the engine and slowly add the rest, normally around 3 1/2 - 4 more quarts.
There is no need to drain the cooler, but it is possible to do, there was a thread here on how to.

I think I was just there if not a tiny bit under ...
do you top up with the engine running and the filler cap open ?
Old 10-21-2013, 12:47 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wait until I hear the gurgling of the oil in the lines.

AFAIK, there is no drain on the oil cooler.

Why was exhaust in the way to undo the engine plug?
Old 10-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
I use kitty litter buckets to drain into, easy, clean and easy transport to the back pond where I dump it.
Eh ? Pond ?
Old 10-21-2013, 12:52 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kos11-12
I think I was just there if not a tiny bit under ...
do you top up with the engine running and the filler cap open ?
Yes, with the engine running and filler cap open. I normally add a total of 9 quarts, then go for a drive to get all the oil up to temp, and then adjust the hot oil level so my dip stick show half way between the marks, which is also half way (3 o'clock) on my oil level gauge.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:33 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
Ythen adjust the hot oil level so my dip stick show half way between the marks
That's my biggest challenge, I can't see a darn thing on the dipstick.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:37 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
Eh ? Pond ?
...or the back fenceline...
Old 10-21-2013, 01:57 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=kos11-12;10845520]............
it's like fully open a hot water tap .... the capacity of the drain pan is not only important, also don't forget to open all the vents of the pan, otherwise a lot of oil will be on the floor like I had, I have one of those sophisticate pan, but I think a flat and square builder bucket would be suitable as well;

[QUOTE]
the 964 is a trickle to how it comes out of my 996TT. The plug is straight down and dumps 9 quarts out in about 5 seconds. I raise mine on a lift and put a 5 gallon bucket under it!
Old 10-21-2013, 01:59 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KaiB
I change my oil, on average, six to seven times a year. Hot or cold, it makes no difference.

Dump it out, put 9 quarts back in, don't worry. Check later when car is HOT.

(Something remarkable happened just yesterday). I changed oil (didn't pull the filter though) and not ONE drop hit the ground. To make the point to myself, I only used one shop rag during the entire operation and even it was relatively clean. This wll never happen again, I'm sure, but it was fun while it lasted)
I am sure the kitty litter is best !
The speed of your heart must have hit the rev limiter when you saw the filter is missing....
Old 10-21-2013, 02:04 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stevepaa
I wait until I hear the gurgling of the oil in the lines.

AFAIK, there is no drain on the oil cooler.

Why was exhaust in the way to undo the engine plug?
It just would not fit, too wide... I compare with another wrench and they are all the same width....the socket also was small ,
Don't really understand, maybe I should have try to fit the socket alone, and then the wrench ...any ways it's at the engineering place to be cut by 10mm ....

Last edited by kos11-12; 10-21-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY oil change....