Belt Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 06:30 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Belt Warning Light

Hi Guys,

Recently my fan belt warning light has started to flick on and off suggesting a loose connection somewhere.

If I need to replace the whole sensor how much is it likely to cost and how easy is it to swap them over?

Thanks,

Jim.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:03 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't comment on the sensor - but one word of warning. I used to have a few problems with warning lights not working as they should on the clock - and the problem was actually the clock.

It's probably not the clock which is your problem but bear it in mind. Wouldn't be good to replace the sensor and then find it was actually the light itself which was playing up.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:07 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim,

I had my sensor replaced a couple of months ago. I think the part was about £30 & is fairly easy to fit yourself. I got mine from www.type-911.co.uk (No affiliation - just a happy customer!!)

Andy
Old 07-16-2003, 10:59 AM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim,

My "Toothed Belt Indicator" light was on almost all the time, even though the belt was fine. It is easy to find the sender: It is just to the left of the fan, and has a little roller wheel which contacts the belt. It is nothing but a microswitch inside. You can detach and remove the electrical connector by pulling out the metal clip. Then there is one allen head bolt (5mm wrench, as I recall) which holds the whole switch assy to its backing plate (kind of takes some time to remove the bolt due to little working room in there). Then there are 4 screws which hold the whole switch assy together. Take those out and separate the halves. The spring-loaded roller wheel has a plastic bushing which rotates on a metal shaft. I put a little white grease on the shaft, cleaned out the whole assy, and sprayed some contact cleaner into the microswitch. Fixed my problems for virtually free. Issue was the arm with the roller on it not moving freely enough.

Fairly quick and easy, and you don't have to worry about switch "registration" as it goes onto 2 metal pins on the backing plate, which puts it in the right place (wheel against the belt).

Tom
Old 07-16-2003, 05:30 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Or, you could zip tie the pulley arm back. I lost my "wheel" at the track and the light came on, so I retracted the arm and tied it back. Turned the key and the sensor light stayed off.

Of course, you'll need to keep an eye on the belt from now on.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:06 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Just out of curiosity, has anyone actually ever had the warning light alert them to the fact that the belt had failed, rather than the horrible noises/smoke/etc. from the engine doing the job first?

Quick Reply: Belt Warning Light