Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What made you get a 964 over a 993 or an 80s 3.2 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Classic looks with just enough touch of modern (I also needed awd).

I DO like the 993 Targa 4S - but $$ (and availability) prevented that! I used to LOVE the 993 over the 964 looks, but so many cars have that low slung "swoopy" look - the 964 though? Can't beat it for looks IMO!!!
Old 12-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Impact bumper cars are "my generation". At 43 today, I can remember being 16 and having the big 935 DP poster on the wall. That being said, and after 20 years of german car ownership with cars ranging from the 60's to present, I will no longer drive "vintage" cars on the street. I'm more comfortable with airbags, and the comfort of AC, and a reasonable amount of modernity, in a classic package.

The styling of the 993 is lost on me. I think the interior is a terrible mix of old and modern, and the headlights and front end lines don't do it for me.

The 964 is the perfect mix of great styling in a technical package that continues to thrill. I think it's engaging to drive, and it makes me wish my GPS had a curvy road setting.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Porschekalle
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an 964 RS America sold it went to an 993 Turbo sold that and have a 964 again cabriolet version ... is with me now for five years and won't be sold
never!!!
too much fun and the best if the air cooled era
Old 12-13-2013, 02:00 AM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always been a fan of air-cooled cabs. Love the feeling of freedom, openness and the sound of the air-cooled motor with the top down. I owned a 79 Beetle Conv. for many years. It was a great weekend car for the family. My kids loved it, but, my wife was never a fan of it .

I always dreamed of owning a 911 and my wife new it, but, we just assumed that it would be a luxury we couldn't afford . Eventually I just kind of lost interest in the Beetle and decided to sell. Then with some extra cash in my pocket, the long hunt was on for the right 911 at the right price. I didn't even consider the 993 regardless of the higher price. My preference was for a 964 or a late 80's 3.2.

I ended up looking at both. But as soon as I was in the seat of the 964 C4 Cab test driving with the owner in the passenger seat, I had to do everything in my power to keep the smile off my face . Everything just felt and sounded right. Eventually made the deal and on the 300 km highway drive home I was even more impressed and there was no keepin the smile off my face now . The AWD was incredible in the turns and on the steep uphill drives, gravity doesn't even register with the 964's 3.6L .

Eventually, I made it home and drove up the driveway. My wife came out and took one look and said "Now that's sexy" . Confirmation enough for me that the 964 is truly the best 911 .
Old 12-13-2013, 12:33 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

^^^^^
Great story Mixter. Proves you gotta go with your heart sometimes, and it's a big bonus if your partner agrees too!
Old 12-13-2013, 04:01 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Mixter
I've always been a fan of air-cooled cabs. Love the feeling of freedom, openness and the sound of the air-cooled motor with the top down. I owned a 79 Beetle Conv. for many years. It was a great weekend car for the family. My kids loved it, but, my wife was never a fan of it .

I always dreamed of owning a 911 and my wife new it, but, we just assumed that it would be a luxury we couldn't afford . Eventually I just kind of lost interest in the Beetle and decided to sell. Then with some extra cash in my pocket, the long hunt was on for the right 911 at the right price. I didn't even consider the 993 regardless of the higher price. My preference was for a 964 or a late 80's 3.2.

I ended up looking at both. But as soon as I was in the seat of the 964 C4 Cab test driving with the owner in the passenger seat, I had to do everything in my power to keep the smile off my face . Everything just felt and sounded right. Eventually made the deal and on the 300 km highway drive home I was even more impressed and there was no keepin the smile off my face now . The AWD was incredible in the turns and on the steep uphill drives, gravity doesn't even register with the 964's 3.6L .

Eventually, I made it home and drove up the driveway. My wife came out and took one look and said "Now that's sexy" . Confirmation enough for me that the 964 is truly the best 911 .
i know that smile and feeling.
It is the open cheque book smile

I am guilty of the same feeling.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:57 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why 964?

1. Classic body style; the last of its kind.
2. Value! I paid $15.5k for my 112k 1990 Carrera 4
3. First generation Porsche AWD. To me, it's beautiful.

Quick Reply: What made you get a 964 over a 993 or an 80s 3.2 ?