Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   What made you get a 964 over a 993 or an 80s 3.2 ? (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/781690-what-made-you-get-a-964-over-a-993-or-an-80s-3-2-a.html)

PurpleEnemy 10-23-2013 10:48 PM

It's an easy one... It has five letters and I keep it in my skull. If you need a further clue; it rhymes with 'train'.
I can understand people buying 993s; as they're the closet 911 you can get to looking like a 968 without having to own one.
I can also understand people buying a 3.2 Carrera as they're are reminder of how lack of progression virtually putting the company under...And about as interesting to me as a 968.
The 964 is, as my friend who has worked at Porsche all of his working life put's it; A very important car in the history of Porsche, it is the car that saved the company.

christallon 10-23-2013 11:16 PM

....as in...... "no trainer" I agree:thumbup:

FriedEgg 10-24-2013 06:38 AM

Simple...I drove all three and lots of examples of each.
I tried really hard to like the 993, but in the end it was just too un eventful of a drive. It just didn't feel that special to me compared to the 964 and the 3.2. I didn't appreciate the design of the 993 as much as some either.
I was intrigued by the 3.2 Carrera, but ultimately wanted a more talented chassis and suspension.
I ended up purchasing an RSA, then added a 964 Turbo. To me the 964 series is the best of the breed.

PushingMyLuck 10-24-2013 07:08 AM

How did it save the company?
It's basically the same as the 3.2 except with ABS and airbags.
Is that what it took?

Johnny G Pipe 10-24-2013 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by PushingMyLuck (Post 10853780)
Is that what it took?

LOL, pay attention in class! A 964 is not just a 3.2 with ABS and airbags. The seats and the basic shape are about all that is the same.

Anyway, I thought it was Toyota's lean technology consultations in the 90's and chucking out the old family members that saved Porsche, leading to efficiency savings in production of 993, platform sharing with boxster/996 and all the way up to now when Porsche are gearing up to sell us some soft-roader horror that is essentially a VW Tiguan with a Porsche crest on the nose.

Maybe 964 is the last Porsche with an all-Porsche soul? :thumbsup:

mike8 10-24-2013 10:03 AM

Owned a few 911's over the years that I loved. I was introduced to the 964 a couple years back through the 90's R Gruppe Early S thread. I must admit I really didn't like the looks when they first came out and like most I tended to view them as the red headed step child of the 911 world. I tend to run with the early "hot-rod" 911 types and when they started talking about these cars on, it continued to peak my interest. Continued to follow the thread on Early S which was filled with positive responses...I figured if the long hood guys had good things to say about a short hood car,how bad could they be...964's were relatively still affordable at the time and was IMO the best bang for the buck.(still is?)
Hmm...
I started to look at them differently as I learned more about them. Guys that I respected tended to have favorable things to say...so...I drove a few and BAM I was hooked. Old school looks with a modern twist. What's not to like?
The car outperforms all of my other 911's in so many areas....the 3.6 just puts a smile a on my face EVERY time I drive it. A/C works...suspension responds as well as any...car feel likes its carved out of a block of steel...
Does it have an early car feel? no...but what it does have is that elusive combination of hitting all the senses depending on how you want to drive it.
DD? sure...canyon carver?...absolutely! Track day? ahh...yea...take the wife out to dinner and hear her say, "let's take the 911"!....priceless :rockon:
My last observation...you don't see to many around which makes them that much cooler...

creaturecat 10-24-2013 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by PushingMyLuck (Post 10853780)
Is that what it took?

:to_order:

Jaye Bass 10-24-2013 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe (Post 10853898)
LOL, pay attention in class! A 964 is not just a 3.2 with ABS and airbags. The seats and the basic shape are about all that is the same.

Anyway, I thought it was Toyota's lean technology consultations in the 90's and chucking out the old family members that saved Porsche, leading to efficiency savings in production of 993, platform sharing with boxster/996 and all the way up to now when Porsche are gearing up to sell us some soft-roader horror that is essentially a VW Tiguan with a Porsche crest on the nose.

Maybe 964 is the last Porsche with an all-Porsche soul? :thumbsup:

Platform sharing during the gestation of the 996 was a big deal. Still echos through Porsche today.

BigMikeATL 10-24-2013 12:01 PM

Last of the hand built Porsches

3.6L engine

Classic Porsche styling, A/C that works, and has the best prices for great lower mileage examples.

Real men drive 964's :thumbsup:

964George 10-24-2013 12:21 PM

Had a 997 C4S first but then got an aircooled itch...
Don't think you'll even look at a 964 or any other aircooled Porsche if you’re not really a purest or avid DIY'er.
I looked at 993's, 964's and 930's, I loved the look of the 993 for years, probably why I bought the 997 C4S…
But as far as I was concerned the 964 had it all and the RL 964 community is one of the best.
You won't find a better bunch of guys (and girls) that will help you out with their wealth of knowledge, expertise and sheer minded DIY'ness to solve everyday issues/problems!
The 964 is the black sheep of the 911 family but has the Classic 911 lines with the technology/mod cons to boot.
We love an underdog in the UK and it ticked all the right boxes.
I am lucky enough to secure a car from a reputable UK garage with a top end thrown in, plus a few extras mods at cost!
Still waiting to pick it up but it's getting closer by the day and this one’s a keeper...

cgfen 10-24-2013 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by keynes (Post 10836078)
As time goes on, I like 993 styling less and less. It's not aging well. The 964 on the other hand has a timeless classic look, once its lowered.

LOL
:eek:

Craig

BLACK-BETTY 12-12-2013 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by PushingMyLuck (Post 10847518)
What year did the 964's bottom out in?

Price wise? IIRC in the UK it would have been about 7+ odd years ago.

About how much was a nice condition 100k mile car going for then?

One could buy a pristine example for £ 14K.

Now how much is the same car?

Today pristine examples command £ 30K+ Even more for the big capacity ones.

Over here in the UK 964 values are and have in (model/ configuration specific comparison instance) overtaken 993 values.

The general UK census,
993 values are maintained by low milage and unmolested examples.
964 values are increased by how well modified/ up kept they are, milage has little value.

As a whole, 993 values are static in the UK whilst 964 prices are on a sharp rise.

tcsracing1 12-12-2013 03:30 PM

I have always liked the 993. Hence i have two of them now. :)
The refined curves, updated engine and rear suspension make for a great 911.
The market is strong on the 993, so strong that i decided to focus my efforts on finding a 964 to add to the collection as the prices are more affordable then the 993.
The 964 is a great 911 as it has a clean body with no impact bumpers and has a decent suspension.
They look great in stock trim with the classic headlight configuration and also make great race car and back date projects.
Since searcing for a 964 I have noticed that the market is quite strong on them with higher resale prices and little inventory. These things are in fact getting expensive.
I now want a 964 more then ever :)

jotaking 12-12-2013 05:10 PM

964 because it's the last of the classic shape.:rockon:

Looks like a 911, goes like a train, and feels raw with just enough finesse not to be rough.

Like others....I grew up with this on my wall, so possibly engrained in my psyche?

Love mine, however all derivatives are cool and always turn my head!

Lemass Automotive 12-12-2013 05:27 PM

100% looks for me. Budget does come into it. As if all 911's were the same price I would have something from around 69-72