Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaks & Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 02:45 AM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be the front blower motor. I replaced my LH blower about two months ago. It took three hours and it wasn’t a difficult job. It squeaked badly on fan speeds 1 & 2 and got worse when I made left turns. Also, it only squeaked when blowing cool or cold air.

Research the topic further; there is a lot of information on this problem.

Brad
Old 07-21-2003, 03:16 AM
Riccardo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brad, that sounds exactly like my problem. Come to think of it, it only happens with the a/c on.

You say it was the LH blower motor? How did you find that out? Is there an equivalent RH blower motor it could also be?

I did a search but it seems to only return recent topics, since the new board format.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:38 AM
Roly Baldwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Riccardo
Phil,

can you recall what the solution for the rattly fan was? The search item doesn't seem to be available yet and I'd like to start investigating this.

Indeed it does occur when cornering and once I've been driving for a while.

Riccardo,

As I recall, the rattling or squealing may be fixed (maybe only temporarily) by lubricating the LH blower fan. This is accessed by removing the plastic cover at the rear of the luggage compartment and the fan cover which is attached with small aluminium clips. Once removed the cover slides upwards to reveal the fan like in this pic:

Incidentally, the RH blower only operates on defrost - only the LH blower is controlled by the fan speed setting.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:43 PM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes there is a right and left hand blower. I paid $150 US for the blower and installed it with the help of a friend. A second pair of hands turned out to be quite helpful.

Here is a very high level overview (Like 20 thousand feet)
1) Disconnect battery
2) Unbolt the fuse box and rest it on the side of you car (use a fender cover)
3) Remove the reserve gas tank (makes life easier)
4) Remove the firewall
5) Remove clips around the fan shroud
6) Remove the fan with a special Porsche tool (you can use a hacksaw blade or even a flathead screwdriver instead) *tip – Since the old fan is useless anyway, cut out the old fan blades with wire snips. It makes the fan removal much easier.
7) Replace the fan exactly the way the old one was installed.

It’s typical German engineering. It looks impossible but after doing it you see how simple it is. I put off doing it for 10 months until I just couldn’t take the squeaking anymore. It was driving me nuts. As you read the old archives you will see many posts from me asking questions.
I can’t begin to tell you how happy I am with the results. The lubrication option is really just putting off the inevitable.

If you want I can email you a few diagrams.

I hope this helps,
Brad

Quick Reply: Squeaks & Rattles