1990 C4 rear blower gone bezerk - help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 04:17 PM
tomato
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1990 C4 rear blower gone bezerk - help please

Dear Rennlisters,

Ive just picked up my pride and joy after waiting 9 months for the work to finish...on the way back the rear blower starting blowing very noisily and at full chat. It's the one marked with an X. Apologies if this isn't the rear blower. It also developed a hole in the rubber in the area marked with an 'O' . Ive used a library pic. Ive got a 6 am start and a 1000 mile journey planned tomorrow can anyone offer any advice? Does it affect anything major or just the climate control?

Ive tried turning the climate fan off and the temp guage down to lowest. It still runs crazy with ignition on. So crazy it vibrates.

Do I cancel tomorrow's trip?
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2013, 04:41 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can drive it without having any heat in the cabin, just pull out the 30 amp fuse from the rear fuse box. You can still use the cabin fans as long as the CCU is on the blue dot.

The problem with the blower going full speed all the time can be caused by the sensor in the tube failing or being un-plugged. You cans see it on the left of the pic you posted.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:46 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

It's just for climate control. Pushes air through the heat exchangers and up through the cabin to the big climate box under the dash where there are two more blower fans.

It's only operational when the temp is set to anything except the blue dot (coldest setting).

There is a plug attached to the side of the "x" blower fan. Unplug it and it will stay off. But I think that the climate fans under the dash won't turn on at all unless the climate control temp is set to the blue dot.

The problem could be in the resistor inside the plastic tube that comes off the "x".

The hole in the other part isn't a big deal either. Though the factory part is pretty cheap and take 2 minutes to replace.

Have a great, worry-free, trip!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:12 PM
tomato
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wuv you all. 964 rear blower will be unplugged

Many thanks I'll pack a chunky jumper and screen wipes.

The car now looks like it shouldn't have any climate AC anyway so the screaming fan noise exposes my fakery....
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 1990 C4 rear blower gone bezerk - help please