Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nokia door speakers: are these original equipment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:34 AM
johnnycobra
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nokia door speakers: are these original equipment?

Hi there

I have a 1994 C4 Widebody and the speakers are shot. I removed the front door speakers (thanks to all who have posted many "how to's" on other threads) and found that the 5.25 inch mid range speakers and the tweeters are Nokia; and furthermore there is no cossover, the tweeters are connected directly to the mid range ( and look like they are designed that way). The problem with the mid range is that the foam has perished so I am going to try and get them repaired so I can maintain the factory look.

The question is: are the Nokia speakers original equipment, anyway? I have searched the forum and can't find any reference to this.

The attached pic shows the speaker. The green cable is the tweeter connector. Any thoughts, anyone?

Thanks

John
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2013, 01:08 PM
VR6-er
Racer

They are. Complete with 964 prefix on part number. They're also abysmal and should be replaced asap.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:39 PM
f3nr15
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're still available to buy if you're looking to stay original.

I've actually got a boxed set sitting in my garage - bought them recently for the same problem as you, only to find that my speakers were Blaupunkt ones from the M 490 stereo upgrade option, which are NLA.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:52 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Nokia bought an OEM speaker manufacturing unit from the larger corporation, ITT; This was back in the day. The ITT Corporation's subsidiary manufactured speaker components for decades. The Noika/ITT/OEM merger didn't last long as the OEM manufacturing operations were sold off to Harman Automotive.

The Nokia data printed on the rear magnet structure reads 130/19/100FS .... the 1st 130 is a speaker size of 130mm (5.25") the 2nd 19 is voice coil size 19mm (3/4") and lastly the 100 is the resonate frequency 100HZ.

I have several of these Nokia 130mm (a similar if not identical version as used in the 993) if you would like them. Free to good home, you pay postage from the Atlanta, GA area (30041) Send a PM.

The acoustic output of the Nokia 130mm/5.25" will blow your mind when its instructed by a signal where DSP is utilized. Digital signal processing simply redirects or creates a signal accounting for the shortcomings of the actual speaker and or the speakers environment; equalization DSP style.
Most of the Porsche/Becker CD/radio units from the 993, 987, 996 series have suitable outputs, without to much of a S/N component, read noise, (line out/pre-amp/RCA) which will interface with any of the present day DSP modules on the market. Such as name's,,, Alpine, Audison, Helix, Mosconi, Zapco, etc., just to name a few.

Yes, there are better, more modern speakers assemblies than the OEM Nokia's or most any OEMs ...... However I would encourage you to reach for a modern DSP integration first..... Look at the Mosconi DSP module 6to8 or the 2to4 DSP and lastly (not in any real order) their model "One (60.4 w/DSP) amplifier line". All disclaimers apply. Zapco has recently brought to market a 2nd generation DSP module... Additionally, there is the Mosconi model One 60.6 amp for a 3 way active arrangement ala the 993s HiFi speaker options front door speaker arrangement... an elegant fix to the 993 crumby HiFi speaker option, and without changing a single speaker. Simply introduce a correcting-equalized signal via a modern, herculean DSP signal path. The DSP simply beats the speaker (electro-mechanical motor assembly) into submission.. Gracefully I might add.

http://mosconi-america.com/one604dsp.html Its size is 8" X 8" X 2" ... any case, it can fit under the passenger seat.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:33 AM
johnnycobra
Track Day

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

John
Old 09-10-2013, 05:35 PM
johnnycobra
Track Day

this is what the speakers and grills look like, Mike
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Nokia door speakers: are these original equipment?