Sponsored by:

Head Stud Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 07:00 AM
cptnzero
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Stud Question

I just wanted to garner current opinion on head studs for a stock engine. There is a large price difference between standard Porsche steel bolts and alternative 993tt Dilavar, ARP or Supertec items.

Are ARP/Supertec over kill for my daily driver?
Old 07-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Twood
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cptnzero
I just wanted to garner current opinion on head studs for a stock engine. There is a large price difference between standard Porsche steel bolts and alternative 993tt Dilavar, ARP or Supertec items.

Are ARP/Supertec over kill for my daily driver?
I have just finished rebuilding my engine. It had the divavar studs - I replaced 2 that were broken and then had the engine nearly back together when a third snapped for no real reason.
Spoke to Engine Builders Supply (EBS) where I bought all my parts from and they suggested to use Porsche steel bolts (around $10 each) rather than the dilavar studs (around $35 each) - when there are 24 to replace it is a big saving.

Engine is now back together and after a spirited drive last Sunday, no oil leaks and no problems. My car is used for reasonably fast driving and occassional track day.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:45 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

I used ARP studs in my rebuild. I bought my car with it having had a 'rebuild' but it was more of a 're-seal'. They didn't replace the head studs and one snapped after a few thousand miles. I also fitted ARP con rod bolts. It's an insurance policy and the best kind because you pay once and forget about it. I have enough things that keep me awake at night without wondering if I'll need to pay for another premature engine rebuild!

My advice is don't cut corners...
Old 07-25-2013, 03:46 AM
cptnzero
Instructor

Thanks for feedback Twood, glad your rebuild has been a success

Just had a box of goodies from EBS myself - top blokes to deal with
Old 07-25-2013, 03:58 AM
cptnzero
Instructor

Originally Posted by StanUK951
I used ARP studs in my rebuild. I bought my car with it having had a 'rebuild' but it was more of a 're-seal'. They didn't replace the head studs and one snapped after a few thousand miles. I also fitted ARP con rod bolts. It's an insurance policy and the best kind because you pay once and forget about it. I have enough things that keep me awake at night without wondering if I'll need to pay for another premature engine rebuild!

My advice is don't cut corners...
Cheers Stan. I intend to do a re-seal later this year which of course is rapidly turning into a top end rebuild. new clutch, flywheel...

I was intending to get a set of Supertec when I'm in California but speaking to a guy who recently rebuilt a 911T made me question if I was going overboard if i was not modifying the engine.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:44 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

No problem. I took the 'while I'm in there view' and as well as head stud and rod bolts replaced big ends, had the heads rebuilt with new valve guides and seats, new piston rings, and tons of other bits I can't remember. I don't want to be doing it again any time soon!

Quick Reply: Head Stud Question