clutch pedal travel

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:01 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default clutch pedal travel

Hello all,

I'm wondering what the actual travel is on the clutch pedal. It is my understanding that there should be ~155mm total pedal travel including about an inch of freeplay before engaging the master cylinder. How much of the pedal travel is superfluous in disengaging the clutch? Does it actually have to be put to the floor and if so, how does the MPL slave work without requiring the pedal to be raised?

I essentially have a fused ankle (clutch foot), reaching the last 1" or so is difficult. I'd like to put a clutch stop and set the pedal to be as short as possible without changing to a 'heavier' ratio.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the MPL slave has lower effort then the stroke has to be longer; it's basic physics as the work required to disengage the clutch is the same regardless.

On my (stock slave) '64 I have to put the pedal to the floorboard for full engagement.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:08 AM
azander
Racer

Basic physics indeed. So does the pedal sit further out (couple inches or so) with the MPL slave or is everyone with one riding the clutch? hmm
Old 07-10-2013, 03:50 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by azander
Hello all,

I'm wondering what the actual travel is on the clutch pedal. It is my understanding that there should be ~155mm total pedal travel including about an inch of freeplay before engaging the master cylinder. How much of the pedal travel is superfluous in disengaging the clutch? Does it actually have to be put to the floor and if so, how does the MPL slave work without requiring the pedal to be raised?

I essentially have a fused ankle (clutch foot), reaching the last 1" or so is difficult. I'd like to put a clutch stop and set the pedal to be as short as possible without changing to a 'heavier' ratio.

Thanks
I've just had my RS clutch replaced. The parts were correct but the clutch engaged very close to the floor. The fix was to source a slave cylinder with a rod 8mm longer tan the one currently in the car. Still need to research this, but the initial assumption is that you can change pedal bite with the rod length.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:59 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 172 Posts

Most people seem to indicate that in their cars disengagement, eliminating all drag, is not complete until the clutch pedal is absolutely at the floor. It would be better if disengagement occurred before this extreme position to allow correct decoupling of the input and output during shifting. There is a TSB discussion of the appropriate throw adjustment since it has been a recurrent topic. In the past I have asked how to measure and adjust the pedal throw to meet spec per the Porsche TSB but it is still not clear how this is done. You may benefit from achieving this 155mm as a first step in any clutch arrangement.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:21 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I've just had my RS clutch replaced. The parts were correct but the clutch engaged very close to the floor. The fix was to source a slave cylinder with a rod 8mm longer tan the one currently in the car.
Are you sure they used the correct release bearing?

Originally Posted by c didy
There is a TSB discussion of the appropriate throw adjustment since it has been a recurrent topic. In the past I have asked how to measure and adjust the pedal throw to meet spec per the Porsche TSB but it is still not clear how this is done.

Loosen the fasteners pointed at by the red arrows to move the pedal stop and then

a piece of string or a ruler.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:30 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas

Loosen the fasteners pointed at by the red arrows to move the pedal stop and then

a piece of string or a ruler.
Good enough. Thanks Jason.

Does this allow full clutch dis-engagement before completely depressing the pedal to the floor?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas

Are you sure they used the correct release bearing?

Yes, I checked that, they used the long tail.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:27 PM
azander
Racer

I found a spec sheet on a GT40 forum (G50 after all) comparing the stock Porsche slave vs the MPL unit. The required pedal travel is 4.45" to 5.7" for the MPL unit. This is based on a 5:1 pedal ratio which by a quick guesstimation and a ruler on my 993 pedal box, seems to be the same. I guess the MPL unit just distributes the useful work over the spec'd 155mm of pedal travel. If this is true I suppose I can use the stock slave with a longer rod to set the bite point higher.

Quick Reply: clutch pedal travel