Sponsored by:

Street Exhaust Options 964

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 12:35 AM
ToniWonKanobi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabspeed John
Appreciate the insight, that was before my time here and will look into it to see if anything was resolved/changed
Yeah, I purposefully stayed away from Fabspeed's Cup-style airbox due to plenty of Rennlisters talking about poor filament. I'd be interested to know if there's a fix for this.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:41 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I have a fabspeed cup air box with LWF, Dansk 100 cell cat, stock headers, and an inexpensive magnaflow muffler with swans neck and dansk 4" tip. The car was tuned by Protosport using their custom made chip.

I do have a slight gap in mine as well that Jason has mentioned although it takes time and effort to seat it properly. I use my borescope to check all around when fitting it as I noticed it can be a problem. The slight gap in the front is the worst and IMO it seems to seat well enough. The K&N filter seems to sit better than the factory filters. I have never noticed any dust inside the box itself but will keep a closer eye on it. It has been on the car for >20k miles and no issues yet.

To me it is one of the better sounding 964's I have heard still sounds better than my boxster GTS with sport exhaust in sport plus mode which has a great exhaust note. It is loud outside and just the right tone inside. Quiet enough at half throttle but will shake windows under WOT especially near RPM and while shifting. the sound unfortunately eggs you on to drive faster. Best part is how free revving and strong the engine feels with this setup.

Mustang dyno tests show 248 rwhp and it moves for a C2. Don't have any clips for sound but here are the pics. All in very inexpensive for the gain in performance but is more race car'ish than some might like.

If I removed the cup box and 4" tip the car quiets down quite a bit and if I use the G pipe vs the swans neck it will increase sound a bit at WOT.
Attached Images     
Old 05-20-2017, 02:18 PM
ALLPRO
Intermediate

Using, curve, secondary by-pass (g.pype) is it possible to use the original terminal? (Element number 10 of the scheme) or is it too far out of the rear bumper?

very thanks
Old 05-23-2017, 04:13 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLPRO
Using, curve, secondary by-pass (g.pype) is it possible to use the original terminal? (Element number 10 of the scheme) or is it too far out of the rear bumper?

very thanks
Yes, you may reuse the end pipe (item 10).
Old 06-05-2017, 10:48 PM
Derek911
Racer

I'm in the process of going dual. I'm already running the fabspeed exhaust single out, so I'm adding the left exhaust pipe. I have the FVD left bumper with the exhaust cut out, which as others have stated in other threads come with no holes drilled so it must be fitted and drilled prior to paint. Once the fit is right, take it off again for paint. Also, the heat shield needs to be taken off the old bumper and placed on the new FVD bumper.
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2017, 09:37 PM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 100 or 200 cell sport cat for 964

Hi all,

From this thread, I think I will...
- retain primary muffler
- replace secondary muffler w G pipe
- Car currently running Cat delete - stinks badly, so will add sport cat.

Are 100 or 200 cell cats recommended and why?
- my understanding is 100 cell is better for higher performance motor/race/turbo cars but my car is entirely stock 1990 964 C2 and so am leaning toward extra scrubbing power of 200 cell.

Thanks for any experiences!

Cheers,

Mark
Old 10-26-2017, 05:42 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hillsdonsmith
Hi all,

From this thread, I think I will...
- retain primary muffler
- replace secondary muffler w G pipe
- Car currently running Cat delete - stinks badly, so will add sport cat.

Are 100 or 200 cell cats recommended and why?
- my understanding is 100 cell is better for higher performance motor/race/turbo cars but my car is entirely stock 1990 964 C2 and so am leaning toward extra scrubbing power of 200 cell.

Thanks for any experiences!

Cheers,

Mark

Hey Mark

I went with the Fabspeed 200 cell sport cat. I have a MSDS cone type airbox and Steve Wong chip as the only other mods. The weight difference between with stock cat and the sport cat is incredible. Huge difference. Power wise (butt dyno) the car feel like it revs faster above 4.5k rpms. Honestly below that I think I lost a little bit but not much. Overall the car feels more responsive. Deciding now on either primary or secondary delete. Here a pic.
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2017, 01:00 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by melman911
Hey Mark

I went with the Fabspeed 200 cell sport cat. I have a MSDS cone type airbox and Steve Wong chip as the only other mods. The weight difference between with stock cat and the sport cat is incredible. Huge difference. Power wise (butt dyno) the car feel like it revs faster above 4.5k rpms. Honestly below that I think I lost a little bit but not much. Overall the car feels more responsive. Deciding now on either primary or secondary delete. Here a pic.

Thanks Mel!
Yes, I am ordering 200 cell cat from FVD that we will weld into existing cat bypass pipe.

Looks like you still have both mufflers. Maybe time to dump that secondary and put in a G pipe

I also have Wong chip - I was skeptical but it certainly seems to have helped mid range punch.

Cheers,

Mark

Quick Reply: Street Exhaust Options 964