964 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Exhaust Options 964

Old 07-03-2013, 05:31 PM
Ostranjg
Addict
Rennlist Member

By the way, apologies on possibly ignorant questions... I've had my 964 in possession for a grand total if 4 days
Old 07-03-2013, 05:35 PM
911Jetta
Addict
Rennlist Member

Primary first. #8.
What a crazy looking exhaust system!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:42 PM
911Jetta
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ostranjg View Post
By the way, apologies on possibly ignorant questions... I've had my 964 in possession for a grand total if 4 days
There are no stupid questions, these cars are strange...

I'm constantly on here and other places looking for answers and trying to learn more. That's part of the fun. I've seen more than a couple RL members go from being total newbies... to buying garage lifts and pulling their engines out. Impressive stuff!

Enjoy it and come here to learn and share your experiences (pics occasionally please!).
Old 07-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

The 964 exhaust has two mufflers - a primary muffler (#8 in the picture below) and a secondary muffler (#9 in the picture). It will also have either a catalytic converter or a 'bypass' pipe, depending on country of sale (#6 in the pic).

A 'cup pipe' or 'primary bypass' pipe will replace #8.

A 'G pipe', 'U pipe', etc. will replace #9.

You can also install an aftermarket catalytic converter bypass.

This is a 'cup pipe' or primary bypass:

This is a 'G pipe' or secondary bypass:

And this is a 'European' style catalytic bypass pipe:

Old 07-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Ostranjg
Addict
Rennlist Member

So it looks like Dansk and Fabspeed make the bypass and G pipes.. Are these both bolt on parts or do they need to be welded?
Old 07-03-2013, 05:53 PM
BGLeduc
User

Originally Posted by StanUK951 View Post
My car has a G pipe and De-cat. A lot of people say it sounds great but sometimes I feel it is a bit too loud... I am contemplating switching to a Sport Cat with a Cup Pipe and replacing the final silencer or replacing the entire system.

This company also do a good quality complete system:

www.m-m-germany.de

As do FVD:

www.fvd.de
I also have the Fabspeed cat bypass, and for a while I also ran a G Pipe (sec BP) and I did decide it was too loud for daily use. It sounded great on the track, but it got to be bothersome once springtime arrived and I prefer to run with my windows open.

So, the sec muffler went back in. In addition to the Cat BP, I also run a cup style airbox (also Fabspeed) and I find that the noise level with this combination is just about right.

Brian

Last edited by BGLeduc; 07-09-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Ostranjg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice... Thanks for the help guys. That was the diagram I was looking at...

Haha fortunately/unfortunately, I've already caught the bug with BMWs originally... I race an e36 and have a dd e90... It doesn't take long before you wake up one day and realize you have three cars...

Wouldn't have it any other way!
Old 07-03-2013, 05:58 PM
BGLeduc
User

Originally Posted by Ostranjg View Post
So it looks like Dansk and Fabspeed make the bypass and G pipes.. Are these both bolt on parts or do they need to be welded?
Bolt on.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Zingari
User

Currently got the G-Pipe but wondering about also fitting the cup pipe. Not sure if these two combined will make it too loud?

Techically mine being a 93 I cant get rid of the cat so as this is getting old may have to look at sport cat options as well.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Mr.Alex
User

Originally Posted by Zingari View Post
Currently got the G-Pipe but wondering about also fitting the cup pipe. Not sure if these two combined will make it too loud?

I ran both mufflers out for a while, it was fun for a while in the city, very loud. Then on the highway it was a bit unbearable.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:52 PM
dubjager
User

I've been meaning to post a thread on the Ebay G pipe I bought, couldn't have been happier, really! especially for the price, really can't go wrong. In the end though, it is all personal preference
Old 07-03-2013, 11:00 PM
RSAErick
User

Originally Posted by 911Jetta View Post
Yes, yes! So true. Boy do I love the sound of starting a cold engine, sounds mean and grumpy!

I originally had just a primary exhaust bypass (Cup pipe), and it's a great sound and nice weight savings. After years of just the primary bypass, I purchased a used Fabspeed Cat Bypass (no affil) from a Rennlister who was selling his car... WOW, that was the sound I was really looking for. Also, the cat bypass bolted on with no modifications or gaps, perfect fit. It all works great with my Wong chip (93, Primary and Cat pass program).

It a nice deep, heavy breathing mechanical sound. I also hear more valvetrain music since the cat bypass doesn't have a large shield on it like the stock cat does. Yes it's a notch or two louder than just the just a primary exhaust delete, but definitely not too loud. Just sounds very strong, even my non-car loving friends (99% of my friends) love the sound and give it thumbs up.

For the complete package, drill your airbox also.
This is the same setup that I have, and sums up my feelings perfectly.

One thing that I'd like to add, is that Steve Weiner has done some dyno testing which compared bypasses (I believe). If I remember correctly, the tests showed that the secondary bypass (G-pipe) may yield more 'functional' gains, by giving a bigger increase in midrange torque, compared to the stock setup. But I believe that the primary bypass may have given bigger gains in top end hp. In both cases, a chip optimized for your setup (which I don't have) maximized the gains. But please verify the accuracy of these statements with Steve - he'll give you the facts.

Is that your car in the avatar? If so, very nice!
Old 07-04-2013, 12:05 AM
jellonailer
Addict
Rennlist Member

+1 on Fabspeed cat bypass for my track car.

"G" pipe is great for a street car, you can feel the weight out pf the back from removing the secondary's.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:53 AM
FeralComprehension
User

I bought a cup and a g-pipe within a week of each other. Tried Cup first: Ok, but it split my secondary. Tried cup+g: Loud, and not in a pleasant way. G-only was it for me, but I didn't mess with the catcon.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:06 AM
Shamus964
Addict
Rennlist Member

I really like the B&B header exhaust that I'm running, I looked a long time to find the right sound, not too low, burble-ee and boatlike, with just the right amount of snarl and I'm very pleased. It's hard to find something evocative of the earlier car's sound with these big fuel injected mills and even harder to hear samples.

See vid here at 10:28...
and 5:14 here...

Good luck with your decision!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Street Exhaust Options 964

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: