Sponsored by:

what brake discs are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 AM
m3vs911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what brake discs are you using?

I think it's time for me to get a set of brake discs for both front and rear.
Currently using cross drilled discs installed from the previous owner when I first bought the car 2 years ago. was running with stock pads and I have upgraded the pads to EBC yellow and they are fantastic.

during light brakes I can feel the steering wheel vibration slightly and I believe it is due to the front discs are slightly warp.

I've been searching online and the only place that I can get cross drilled discs is from design911 and the brand is unknown.

Just wondering what brake discs is everyone using at the moment. and good discs which is not cross drilled? I found EBC disc called themselves performance discs whilst they are not cross drilled...

regards,
Arthur
Old 06-25-2013, 09:20 AM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Using Pagid package set (solid disc), but not recommend.
The surface is uneven when they come out of box. I need skimmed them to prevent steering vibration. They are brand new discs!!
Look like Sebro is better.

Originally Posted by m3vs911
Currently using cross drilled discs installed from the previous owner when I first bought the car 2 years ago. was running with stock pads and I have upgraded the pads to EBC yellow and they are fantastic.

during light brakes I can feel the steering wheel vibration slightly and I believe it is due to the front discs are slightly warp.

I've been searching online and the only place that I can get cross drilled discs is from design911 and the brand is unknown.

Just wondering what brake discs is everyone using at the moment. and good discs which is not cross drilled? I found EBC disc called themselves performance discs whilst they are not cross drilled...

regards,
Arthur
Old 06-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm running Zimmerman (not drilled) on my cars. I've been very happy with them.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

The symptom you're reporting is not dissimilar to one I believe mentioned by Boxsey and others before and has, on those occassions, been caused by the change of pad material.

I will probably be corrected, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the pads leave a deposit on the disc, and if this isn't evenly applied (due to existing material build up, etc) a slight vibration can be felt at slow speeds.

If you have a vibration under heavy break pressure then that would point toward the disc being warped, but it could also be down to suspension components being worn!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:00 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by m3vs911

regards,
Arthur
Those drilled discs you have and the ones on the D911 site are often described as 'sports discs'. There's nothing sporty about them except a few holes drilled in them (nothing like the number or pattern on original Porsche discs). Oh and they cost more! The holes in the 'sport discs' quickly clog up with brake dust and cause vibration. Cleaning them out with a drill bit might temporarily remove the vibration. You may also have uneven brake pad deposition on the discs that needs skimming off.

You're better off buying standard solid discs IMO. Sebro and Zimmerman supply discs to Porsche. You can buy the sebro ones from both Type911 and D911. Don't bother with EBC discs as they're an unknown quantity.

If you want true cross drilled discs you need to fit the 964RS rear discs (at huge expense) and then upgrade your front brakes to 964RS/993 size or go for a big red conversion all round. This gets very expensive.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:29 PM
m3vs911
Instructor

so is pagid not good ? they claimed they are OE quality tho haha..
Old 06-25-2013, 02:44 PM
PAOLOP
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to Pagid yellow or black on new or clean OEM rotors if you like the track, stay with OEM pads on clean/new OEM rotors if you are more "civilized"
Old 06-25-2013, 02:54 PM
holger_964
Track Day

I have the 993 turbo brakes on the front and the RS brake discs on the rear - combined with Pagid orange. Breaks like hell, but the noises the Pagids cause is kind of unbearable in public traffic. On the track it's just great, no comparison with the 964 regular brake.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:54 PM
VR6-er
Racer

I had this exact conversation this weekend whilst at the MOT place. Guy said Pagid is an OEM, but I am led to believe that the stuff they sell via ECP isn't the same quality. He said Lucas quality is excellent.

Sebro are supposed to be OEM and would probably be the way I went..

Edited to say: Just checked the Girling web site and they are referencing ATE parts so I guess they've been swallowed up.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:17 AM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive got adams rotors and am very happy
Old 06-26-2013, 01:20 AM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by vagluv
ive got adams rotors and am very happy
Exactly what I am thinking of replacing mine with when the time comes, have heard nothing but good things from many!
Old 06-26-2013, 01:38 AM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dubjager
Exactly what I am thinking of replacing mine with when the time comes, have heard nothing but good things from many!
quality is very good, and the price is even better.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:22 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

The old "OEM" grey area again!

UK suppliers use of OEM does vary from the USA version a little

Basically when a UK supplier lists some as OEM, 98% of the time they mean that manufacturer supply parts to Porsche. Pagid supply parts to Porsche (mainly pads) so Pagid discs are listed as OEM

Zimmerman do not supply to Porsche

Sebro do supply to Porsche, only early 1960's solid rear discs and 930 early floating fronts.

99% of Porsche discs are SHW, never heard of them have you?

The cross drilled discs available in the UK from D911 & T911 are Sebro, but as boxsey says, they are mainly there for the looks!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:24 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911PERVY

Sebro do supply to Porsche, only early 1960's solid rear discs and 930 early floating fronts.

99% of Porsche discs are SHW, never heard of them have you?
Indeed, I've not heard of SHW before (thanks for that) but a quick bit of googling reveals a brake disc that looks suspiciously like a Porsche item

http://www.shw.de/cms/en/business_se...c_brake_discs/

I can't find a mention on their site of supplying Porsche or anything about Porsche on Sebro's site either:

http://www.sebro.eu/company/services.html

However, I suspect that their Porsche contracts are so valuable to them that they're very careful not to say anything that would put them in jeopardy.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:40 AM
m3vs911
Instructor

haha. thanks guys.
so what is the best solution should I go for?
ATE? Pagid? Sebro ?

non-cross drilled version ?

I am in UK at the moment...

Quick Reply: what brake discs are you using?